P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-06-03, 04:25 PM   #161
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

..seems to me i saw an excerpt of Frankel's blog somewhere (maybe here?) wherein he implies his resignation is imminent.

Considering he sold Nullsoft for $80 some odd million dollars, one wonders why he works for AOL at all
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 07:49 PM   #162
assorted
WAH!

this doesn't do multisource downloading yet, right?

this plus multisource will make me a happy happy clam.
Old 12-06-03, 08:08 PM   #163
multi
Thanks for being with arse

if someone leaves the network,you can resume the file you were downloading
from someone else on the network if they have it..
but yeah being able to get it from 2 users at the same time would be great if you have good bandwidth...

i noticed that if you have the extra diagnostic info ticked in the display part of prefs...you get something wich looks like ping time?
(numbers in the brackets)
Attached Images

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-03, 01:36 AM   #164
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by multi
i noticed that if you have the extra diagnostic info ticked in the display part of prefs...you get something wich looks like ping time?
(numbers in the brackets)
I think that's a in/out/error(?) packet count of some sort. If you want to get the pings, go to the browser, user list, and look under the Speed column.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-03, 03:03 AM   #165
multi

ah thanks ..
i hadnt maximized it b4.....
ping, connection type and network location.. and date and the system time of each user...hadn't seen any of that...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 13-06-03, 06:35 AM   #166
assorted
WAH!

i assume a bunch of you have it going 24/7; how is it on resources? is it leaking at all? crashing?
Old 13-06-03, 10:21 AM   #167
pod
Bumbling idiot

It's pretty damn stable, hasn't crashed or locked up on me yet. I've had mine running for a couple of days now, and it's holding steady at about 6-7MB. Someone said they saw theirs as high as 30 at one point, but looks like it settles down. CPU usage is almost nothing... mine has accumulated 2.5 minutes of CPU time over the past few days. Network chatter is also fairly low, especially with just the nodes we have now. You'll notice bandwidth usage at odd times, that's mostly attributed to proxy transfers and such, a feature of the network.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-03, 03:39 PM   #168
goldie
yea, it's me.

Thumbs up

Ditto what Pod said.

Waste seems to be very very stable and although I thought it was doing some resource hogging - I was mistaken, prolly all the other crap i had running when playing with waste. Heh, there IS a setting in preferences which promises to waste your resources but with that option disabled - no problems at all.

I really do enjoy using this program but I actually luv staying connected to my trusted friends even more, same as I do over @ #fserv!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-03, 04:25 PM   #169
JackSpratts

i'm pretty sure resource use is locked to the number of connections, network queries and transfers. since we haven't run more than a dozen simultaneous hosts on any of the ad hoc networks our usage levels have been low nearly to the point of non-existence. if you use the program as intended and keep the group manageable, resource use shouldn't be a factor. you'll run it 24/7 and forget it. you can even load it at start-up for all the system resources it needs. someone is probably working on similar systems that include the ability to connect to other waste type micronets using assigned diplomatic hosts like supernodes. they might even be making a hack for waste itself. when that happens you may see resource use skyrocket, but i’m not sure waste needs to scale. it’s one of the reasons this important network is special and very private.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-03, 06:59 PM   #170
multi

it runs pretty steady at 3-4M for me as well
one thing i havent tried yet though is the profile manager..it says it opens a new instance of it...?
any body tried that yet?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 14-06-03, 11:33 AM   #171
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

On my way

Last edited by floydian slip : 04-08-03 at 01:25 AM.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-03, 05:01 PM   #172
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

if you see something you like...

http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...threadid=15792

I dont have all my cd's ripped so pm me and i rip it for you, tell me what bitrate you want as well.

Thanks for the visit Diego.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-03, 06:19 PM   #173
multi

Default The Crying of Lot 49

lol..
any one read this..?
Quote:
An underground mail was delivered which Fallopian said they were not supposed to witness. In the bathroom, Oedipa noticed a strange horn symbol on the wall, asking for a response through WASTE.
Oedipa decided to bring the will to life. She visited a Yoyodyne stockholders meeting and got lost. She wandered until meeting Stanley Koteks, an engineer. She noticed him drawing the WASTE symbol. Because Oedipa was a stockholder, Stanley hoped she could him change the patent policy which disallowed for individuality. John Nefastis was one inventor who escaped and created Maxwell's Demon. Oedipa wanted to try the Demon so Stanley gave her a box number before realizing it was WASTE. Oedipa asked about it but pronounced the acronym as a word. Koteks would no longer help her.

Oedipa also noticed was the historical marker at Fangoso Lagoons. The inscription related the massacre of Wells, Fargo men by masked marauders. One victim traced a cross in the dust. Oedipa wondered if the cross had been a T for Tristero. She tried calling Driblette but did not reach him so went to Zapf's bookstores. In the play, Oedipa found a handwritten note next to the Tristero line, giving a variant edition. Continuing to track Pierce's estate, Oedipa traveled to a senior citizens home that Pierce had constructed. The one man who spoke to her was old Mr. Thoth. His grandfather had ridden for the Pony Express. Thoth mentioned that his grandfather loved killing fake Indians, who wore a black feather and rode at night. To remember their Spanish name, the old man showed her a ring his grandfather stole. It contained the WASTE symbol.

The next connection came from Genghis Cohen, the examiner of Pierce's stamps. Cohen asking Oedipa to look at irregularities he had found. He gave Oedipa wine made from dandelions that had grown in a cemetery cleared for a San Narciso Freeway. The connection to Pierce was unmistakable. Then, Cohen showed her the watermark on a stamp which revealed the WASTE sign. He pointed out a Thurn and Taxis legend on a German stamp. The WASTE symbol differed from the legend because it had an extra loop, likely a mute. Cohen also showed her the reverse sides of the Pony Express stamps which had engraved black feathers and the transposition, "U.S. Potsage." Oedipa told Cohen what she knew about these markings. He was not very responsive.

Quote:
Thomas Pynchon's 1965 novel "The Crying of Lot 49" features a secretive mail system called WASTE. The system's mail boxes resemble trash containers, and bear the hand-painted label W.A.S.T.E. It stands for "We Await Silent Tristero's Empire." Tristero refers to a group of sixteenth century brigands out to break up a postal monopoly, dramatized in a Jacobean revenge play called "The Courier's Tragedy." The logo of the WASTE system is a muted post horn made of a loop, a triangle, and a trapezoid.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 15-06-03, 06:23 PM   #174
multi

i thought maybe no connection then i noticed this..
Attached Images

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 15-06-03, 06:57 PM   #175
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

very very nice bit of perspective, Multi - thanks
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-03, 09:09 PM   #176
JackSpratts

the last thing i read from pynchon was vineland, a fevered tale concerning a northern california hippie at loose ends and the ever present paranoid fantasies he has about the federal government. among other things he has them using large tubes to enter jet planes in mid flight to do awful things to the passengers, or maybe that's the other secret group...

i just started reading Lot 49 on an ebook and it's pynchon through and through. i played around with the tiny waste horn logo a couple of days ago and thanks to multi i know what it means now. (i had thought it was just a p2p music thing before reading his post.)

haven't gotten to w.a.s.t.e. yet but i cheated and used Find to see where it is. it's aways from where i am.

- js.
Old 16-06-03, 09:30 PM   #177
RIAAEnemy#1
Apprentice Napsterite and Music worshipper

I'm sorry for sounding like such a newbie but I have tried everything said in this thread and I am not connecting with anyone nor anything. Is it because of the time I am trying to connect at? I have over 15 keys also, wtf?
I am always l00king for a g00d music review/music community(f0rum),
If y0u kn0w 0ne, PLEASE pm me a link.
RIAAEnemy#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-03, 09:51 PM   #178
JackSpratts

pick one person re1, a friend you trust who has a static ip.

exchange public keys and ip's with him/her via email, telephone or in person. run the program. enter your friend's static ip in the browser bar. no need to make up a named network, waste will find the ip.

once connected you can invite additional persons, and static ip's become less critical.

you do not have to have a static ip to use waste, even at first. dynamic ip's work well - but the initial connection can be easier if one host has an ip that's static.

- js.
Old 17-06-03, 01:14 AM   #179
Ðiego
Alpha Stoner

Get my attention on the chat and I'll set you up..

Ð

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Ðiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-03, 10:21 AM   #180
RIAAEnemy#1
Apprentice Napsterite and Music worshipper

I have done everything you said jack but the thing is that all of my friends wouldn't be interested in this, I guess you could say they aren't "geeky" enough . I was trying to connect to the same network all of you guys were on and I wasn't getting anything, how do I connect with you? I have everyones public key.
I am always l00king for a g00d music review/music community(f0rum),
If y0u kn0w 0ne, PLEASE pm me a link.
RIAAEnemy#1 is offline   Reply With Quote