P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 06-11-06, 04:26 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default GOP sinks to new low with nasty phonecall campaign

What we're seeing is an apparent coordinated effort from the NRCC -- the House GOP committee -- to place calls that appear to be from the local Democratic candidate and then automatically call the same number back as many as seven or eight times each time the caller hang-ups. If the caller listens to the whole message it goes on to bash the Democratic candidate. But if the caller hangs up prematurely, the computer calls right back. Hang-ups are the achilles heal of robo-calls. So this seems to be an attempt to cover for that weakness by making those who hang up think the Democratic candidate is basically harassing them with phone calls. The GOP wins either way.

In some states (like NH), these calls are banned. But it doesn't matter to the amoral Republicans.

What is there to do about it. As described, the calls appear to be in violation of federal regulations which mandate that these calls clearly identify their origin. The repetitive call back may also be a violation in different states. The New Hampshire AG apparently just intervened to force the NRCC to stop the calls in that state. But frankly, none of that matters. Because the folks placing the calls factor in the price of whatever fines might be meted out after the election when the damage is already done.

Truthfully, I don't think there's really much to do but publicize it and then get out and vote.

A lot of these races remain inside the MOE, the margin of error. And that means the MOT, the margin of theft. If Dems want to pick up seats on Tuesday they'll have to get a lot of these races out of the MOT. Because as long as they're inside, the Republicans can still grab them with a mix of voter suppression, dirty tricks and election fraud.

There may be something to do. NH has fines per call. Other states do as well. We can engage in an effort to cost the GOP serious money post-election. And we can pressure state legislatures and (the hopefully Dem-lead Congress) to ban them with MASSIVE fines for infractions.

Read TPM for various examples, like:

I was canvassing in Stamford, CT for Lamont and Farrel yesterday... some of the canvassers were talking about a nasty robocall hit on Farrell, which they said people at the doors had talked about. I didn't hear that at the door personally, but I wasn't focusing on the congressional race - i was talking about Lamont primarily.

Apparently the call starts with something along the lines of "Diane Farrell has some information for you," then pauses, waiting for annoyed people to hang up, and then delivers a negative message about Farrell. The canvassers say the call has hit some people as much as 6 times, and at 5 - 6am as well. Presumably, the intent is to annoy people and stick Farrell with the negative name ID as somebody who keeps robo-calling them.

And:

I was handing out leaflets for John Hall yesterday at a grocery store. There were two tables, a democratic one and a Republican one.
When I was handing out palm cards, several people said to me something like, "I WAS going to vote for John Hall, until I got all those phone calls. I got seven or eight, right at dinner time."

The guy from the Republican table, who was a local district leader-- friendly and chatty, actually came over to me and said, "You know, most of those are coming from Sue's office, but don't tell anybody."

I don't know how high his connections are to the Kelly campaign, but that's the information he volunteered.

And:

For the second straight day yesterday, Democratic field offices received dozens of phone calls and e-mails from frustrated voters upset about repeated automated phone calls they thought were coming from Democratic candidate Paul Hodes - though the calls were paid for by a Republican group instead.
The National Republican Congressional Committee spent nearly $20,000 on the calls last week. Depending on the rate, that could mean more than 300,000 automated phone calls into the Second Congressional District.

Incumbent Republican Congressman Charlie Bass denounced the calls yesterday and said he tried to get the NRCC to put a stop to them. But a spokesman for the NRCC said the automated phone calls would continue indefinitely.

"The calls will continue as planned," said Alex Burgos, a spokesman for the NRCC, the national group charged with electing Republicans to the House. "They are done independently of Charlie Bass's campaign. He has nothing to do with them."

Quote:
This is a GOP devoid of ideas or accomplishments to run on, with no illusions that an honest campaign will net them victories. They are resorting to cheating and deception of the worst kind.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/11/5/191647/511

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 09:40 AM   #2
JackSpratts

more here

"Andrew Kohut, a longtime pollster and the president of the Pew Research Center in Washington, said the automated calling 'smells like a push poll, it feels like a push poll, so I guess we have to call it a push poll.'

Harold E. Swift, one of the organizers of the Ohio group...acknowledged in an interview that if some critics thought the group’s polling approach seemed deceptive, 'I grant that they can reach that conclusion.'"

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 04:24 PM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I can't believe someone mentioned political campaigns and morality in the same sentence. But I guess when you're prematurely accusing one party of trying to steal an election, pretending to be surprised that campaign tactics are amoral is the least of your lies.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 07:03 PM   #4
Nicobie

I like the one about Bush lowering gas prices just before the election.

Hehe
Old 06-11-06, 08:06 PM   #5
JackSpratts

don't worry. he'll raise them back up after.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 10:44 AM   #6
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
I can't believe someone mentioned political campaigns and morality in the same sentence. But I guess when you're prematurely accusing one party of trying to steal an election, pretending to be surprised that campaign tactics are amoral is the least of your lies.
Very True.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 10:18 AM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Republicans Blame Election Losses On Democrats

November 7, 2006 | WASHINGTON, DC—Republican officials are blaming tonight's GOP losses on Democrats, who they claim have engaged in a wide variety of "aggressive, premeditated, anti-Republican campaigns" over the past six-to-18 months. "We have evidence of a well-organized, well-funded series of operations designed specifically to undermine our message, depict our past performance in a negative light, and drive Republicans out of office," said Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman, who accused an organization called the Democratic National Committee of spearheading the nationwide effort. "There are reports of television spots, print ads, even volunteers going door-to-door encouraging citizens to vote against us." Acknowledging that the "damage has already been done," Mehlman is seeking a promise from Democrats to never again engage in similar practices.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/55018

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 12:41 PM   #8
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi

Republicans Blame Election Losses On Democrats

November 7, 2006 | WASHINGTON, DC—Republican officials are blaming tonight's GOP losses on Democrats, who they claim have engaged in a wide variety of "aggressive, premeditated, anti-Republican campaigns" over the past six-to-18 months. "We have evidence of a well-organized, well-funded series of operations designed specifically to undermine our message, depict our past performance in a negative light, and drive Republicans out of office," said Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman, who accused an organization called the Democratic National Committee of spearheading the nationwide effort. "There are reports of television spots, print ads, even volunteers going door-to-door encouraging citizens to vote against us." Acknowledging that the "damage has already been done," Mehlman is seeking a promise from Democrats to never again engage in similar practices.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/55018
LOL...Finally the dems did something right
RoBoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote