P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 28-05-06, 02:48 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default America In Transition: Moving from a Conservative to a Liberal Society

LINK
Quote:
Social change in America follows remarkably consistent patterns of behavior dating back to the time of the War of Independence. A close analysis of those patterns reveals why American society, at the beginning of the 21st century, is so bitterly divided. Those patterns also reveal the direction social and political values are likely to move over the next quarter century.
checkout the timeline here:
http://www.futureswatch.org/Timeline.htm

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-06, 01:42 PM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Studies done through the 1980s by Tom W. Smith at the National Opinion Research Center, University of Chicago found clear evidence of a change in American values in the period from 1945 to the early 1980s.

Smith noted that for about 30 years following World War II, American society saw a significant movement from conservative towards liberal values. This was manifested as widespread public support for:
  • equal rights
  • individual choice (outside of the economic realm)
  • support for increased government control regulation
  • expansion of social welfare
Equal rights and individual choice for those people in control of government and social welfare programs. That about sums up liberal ideology, and reveals its flaw. You can't expand the powers of the government and increase personal liberty at the same time. Read the 9th Amendment to the Constitution, it basically says that the only rights you don't have are the ones the government restricts by law. Therefore new laws, taxes, and social programs can only reduce personal liberty. Is this really what we want to happen over the next twenty or thirty years?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-06, 07:22 PM   #3
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Quote:
Equal rights and individual choice for those people in control of government and social welfare programs. That about sums up liberal ideology, and reveals its flaw. You can't expand the powers of the government and increase personal liberty at the same time.
Well said.

Expanding the power of Government at the expense of individual freedoms IS the liberal agenda. The end result is the destruction of the United States as a country. Pure and simple, it's communism - proven by history to be an ineffective form of government. In the end the government has everything and the people have little, and are completely dependent on the government for everyday life needs.

This is why I am a conservative Republican.

Nothing is perfect, but the conservative way at least can work whereas communism will never work.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-06, 08:22 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

both orthodox liberal and orthodox conservative ideology represent two extremes at each of the end of the political spectrum - seems to me that the kind of government that works for it's people would lie somewhere in the middle. obviously, the Great Society programs of the 60's and the resulting welfare state they created highlight the flaws in liberal ideology. but some judiciously applied government intervention can be enourmously beneficial to a society as well - the railroads of the 19th century and the Internet of the 20th century are prime examples. health care comes to mind as well - i've had government-controlled health care (Washington State Basic Health Care, back in the early 90's) and it worked a hell of a lot better than what i have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix
Well said.

Expanding the power of Government at the expense of individual freedoms IS the liberal agenda. The end result is the destruction of the United States as a country. Pure and simple, it's communism - proven by history to be an ineffective form of government. In the end the government has everything and the people have little, and are completely dependent on the government for everyday life needs.

i would think you'd be more inclined to libertarianism, at this point - it's a lot closer to true conservatism than anything the Republicans have brought you. six years of a Republican administration, rubber-stamped by a Republican-led Congress have led to a massive expansion of the power of government - at the expense of both individual freedom and the Constitution.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-06, 08:46 PM   #5
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I might be inclined to agree with you there, knife. Government spending is way up, and while most of it is going towards the military, which I don't mind, there's lots of room for some congressmen to tack on their own spending measures to completly unrelated spending bills and get them approved without objection. It might be happening under everyone's noses. And then you have the Patriot Act and the controversy it's stirring up. Government programs and spending are obviously necessary, but everything in moderation people. I've said it for years, we need fewer laws, not more. The U.S. Code could stand to loose a few thousand pages, especially where it concerns income taxes. Before making new laws, the fat needs to be trimmed from the lean.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 08:09 PM   #6
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Equal rights and individual choice for those people in control of government and social welfare programs. That about sums up liberal ideology, and reveals its flaw. You can't expand the powers of the government and increase personal liberty at the same time. Read the 9th Amendment to the Constitution, it basically says that the only rights you don't have are the ones the government restricts by law. Therefore new laws, taxes, and social programs can only reduce personal liberty. Is this really what we want to happen over the next twenty or thirty years?

No
Nicobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-06, 10:54 PM   #7
naz
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix
Well said.

Nothing is perfect, but the conservative way at least can work whereas communism will never work.
Calling any political position that is left of centre communist is akin to calling any position right of centre fascist. Now, I don't believe you're a fascist, but framing the debate in such black and white terms regarding the cyclical swinging of the pendulum between left and right is disingenuous. FDR and the new deal didn't finish the US as a nation, they finished ww2 as the premier nation on the globe. That's just the best example I can find in your country's history, but none of the other left of centre major figures were communists either.

Also, many European allies of yours have left leaning governments, which are hardly communist. It's not pure and simple, the world is not black and white.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-06, 04:58 AM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz
Calling any political position that is left of centre communist is akin to calling any position right of centre fascist. Now, I don't believe you're a fascist, but framing the debate in such black and white terms regarding the cyclical swinging of the pendulum between left and right is disingenuous. FDR and the new deal didn't finish the US as a nation, they finished ww2 as the premier nation on the globe. That's just the best example I can find in your country's history, but none of the other left of centre major figures were communists either.

Also, many European allies of yours have left leaning governments, which are hardly communist. It's not pure and simple, the world is not black and white.
well put.

simplistic binary political thinking is not a strategy for good government; it's designed only for the accumulation and retention of political power.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote