P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 06-05-01, 07:32 PM   #1
rebel_mom
who's line is it anyways?

Default tech help

I swear I have a complete blank going here but I am having alot of trouble setting up a 486 and need some help.

Before I load the post with a ton of questions I know some deem a 486 not worth the effort but I have a ton of programs that require dos and all mainly kid games that don't require speed .

Just basically to use to type assignments and play math blaster and stuff.

I can not get the cd-rom to boot so I am wondering if there is a way to upgrade the cmos......it seems to reset itself and go to default every boot.

I tryed setting the hard drive up on my computer but I have scsi hard drives that I disabled but the hard drive is saying it has a third party cache(maybe not that specific line but a cache for sure)

ussually in the past on my other 486 a win98 boot disc was all I needed and that board never had a cd-rom boot either .

If some one has the time to help or steer me in a good direction I would appreciate. I have leant out all my older books to the people I help and haven't the heart to take them back while they are still needing them....not doing anymore tonight but plan to tackle it in the next few days thanks in advance,,,,,,,Rebecca
rebel_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-01, 08:43 PM   #2
greedy_lars
everything you do

hey rebel go to a computer with windows 98 on it, put in a floopy, go to start settings control panel, double click on add remove programs, then go to the windows startup disk tab, and make a start up disk, then boot yer 486 with it, it will load yer cd rom for you....
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-01, 05:59 AM   #3
rebel_mom

I have done that also have a 95 boot disc as well as a winme boot disc.

ussually 95 boot disc and win95 cd-rom will boot me right into setup.......not so here
Old 07-05-01, 08:11 AM   #4
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

The older motherboard BIOS didn't support booting from CDROM.

Also double check CDROM installation - orientation of ribbon cable, setting of master/slave jumper, connection of power.

If you can boot a Winxx startup disk, does the CD driver load okay? In the "DOS Mode" the driver loaded in config.sys and MSCDEX loaded in autoexec.bat must both load okay. Watch the message put out by MSCDEX and see if the CDROM drive is assigned a drive letter.

Once the system boots, you should be able to access the CDROM drive by its drive letter.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-01, 08:55 AM   #5
rebel_mom

ok here is the newesrt twist

I got into the hard drive on both win98 and winme

loaded windows 95 but when it went to reboot it froze .

I turned the computer off as it says to if you hang and get an windows will not run with this dos version need dos 7 or higher.

The kicker is it won't even let me instal win3.1 off floppy to just get an operting system on the hard drive to get me started.

I have sworn a bit and put aside to regroup before i send it for flying lessons but I will figure out a solution