P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 28-07-04, 11:13 PM   #21
chrisooc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod
Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but not all works are under copyright.

Specifically, works released into Public Domain, and works on which copyright has expired (like all the stuff Disney is ripping off).

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/okbooks.html
http://www.pdinfo.com/copyrt.htm

While works are protected under copyright laws automatically, they receive stronger protection if there is a copyright notice, and even better if they are registered with the US Copyright Office.

http://www.copyright.gov/register/
Oh, well, old stuff has already come into the public domain, of course. Current art work will be protected for a very long time since laws have been adopted to extend the protection.

I should have qualified my statement to refer to Canada and the US more specifically, as other countries have different views.

The registration of the copyright only serves as a tool to facilitate litigation.

The presence of a copyright notice is pretty much useless legally speaking.

©Myself, 2004 - does that mean anything? Nope.
Old 29-07-04, 12:48 AM   #22
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisooc
©Myself, 2004 - does that mean anything? Nope.
Notice does strengthen the protection. In this case, no, because that's not how you indicate a copyright notice. Dates go before the name. © 2004 Myself

It's just that you were dispelling myths, and seeing copyrights everywhere...
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-04, 09:05 AM   #23
chrisooc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod
Notice does strengthen the protection. In this case, no, because that's not how you indicate a copyright notice. Dates go before the name. © 2004 Myself

It's just that you were dispelling myths, and seeing copyrights everywhere...
Bah, all form, no substance

I'm not seeing copyrights everywhere, but I'll have to assume that if I didn't create that nice artform I so covet, and it cannot be said to exist from times immemorial and there's no evidence of it having been donated to the public domain, then it's a fair assumption it has an intrinsic copyright protection and I cannot just make it mine.

The debate and big hullballoo is always about music downloads, in particular current hits, typically not involving classical music recordings. I don't think anybody has ever complained about B-sides or real flops being traded P2P Not much on the classical note either, most likely.

Personally I don't do much P2P downloading, not to say not at all. I may want to hear something and decide if it's even worth my trouble first. If I want it badly enough, I may buy the orginal, as I'm not a fan of mp3 players or even pc playlists - I like to have a cd in my hands, complete with the cd case, the cover, the tray insert and all of that. I guess I'm very old-fashioned that way

I do most of my "legal" downloading off of sites like www.acidplanet.com, where the artists post their music (which is copyrighted still) but give permission for it to be downloaded free of charge for personal use. Of course they are no big stars - yet some are excellent. It allows me to hear stuff other than what's on the radio all the time.