P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 01-07-04, 07:18 PM   #1
walktalker
The local newspaper man

Default A fascinating example of artists vs publishers conflict: Fahrenheit 9/11

'Fahrenheit 9/11' sparks file-sharing flare-up
The political firestorm surrounding filmmaker Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" has found its way into the file-sharing world. The controversial film -- like virtually every new release -- has been circulating online for days. Early in the week, anti-Moore Web site MooreWatch.com posted a link to a pirated version of the film available elsewhere on a file-sharing network, noting that the director himself has publicly backed downloading the movie online. The result has been a torrent of criticism from Moore supporters and his distribution company, Lions Gate Entertainment. [...] The online flap may say more about the often-conflicting desires of creators and their business agents than it does about the political debate over Moore's film. While studios and record labels have uniformly excoriated unauthorized sharing of movies and music online, many artist -- particularly those eager for the propagation of their political messages -- have sent more mixed messages.
http://news.com.com/%27Fahrenheit+9%...l?tag=nefd.top

Quote:
"I don't agree with copyright laws, and I don't have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it...as long as they're not trying to make a profit off my labor," Moore said in that interview, comparing file sharing to a person sharing a purchased DVD with a friend. "I make these movies and books and TV shows because I want things to change, and so the more people who get to see them, the better."
This somehow reminds me of a very interesting story about sharing gospel songs over P2P networks: the artists and the publishers were arguing about whetever it was an act of faith ("If someone steal my bible, then I'm happy, because he/she needed it more than I did") and encouragement for spreading the Words, or it was a shameful sin of thievery...
Old 02-07-04, 11:56 AM   #2
Heathcliff
One half won't do

Old 02-07-04, 12:16 PM   #3
multi
Thanks for being with arse

AMEN to that brother..

Quote:
the artists and the publishers were arguing about whetever it was an act of faith ("If someone steal my bible, then I'm happy, because he/she needed it more than I did") and encouragement for spreading the Words, or it was a shameful sin of thievery...
Turn Your Radio On

Words and Music: Albert E. Brumley

Come and listen in to a radio station,
Where the mighty host of Heaven sing,
Turn your radio on (turn your radio on),
Turn your radio on (turn your radio on).
If you want to want to hear the songs of Zion,
Coming from the land of endless spring,
Get in touch with God (get in touch with God)

Turn your radio on (turn your radio on)
And listen to the music in the air,
And glory to share (glory share)
Turn the lights down low (lights down low)
And listen to the Master's Radio,
Turn your radio on.

Brother, listen in to the gloryland chorus,
Listen to the glad hosannahs roll,
Get a little taste of joys awaiting,
Get a little Heaven in your soul,
Turn your radio on.

And listen to the music in the air,
And glory to share (glory share)
Turn the lights down low (lights down low)
And listen to the Master's Radio,
Turn your radio on.

one two three four five six

And the neon when it's cold outside
And the highway when it's late at night
Got the radio on
I'm like the roadrunner

Alright
I'm in love with modern moonlight
128 when it's dark outside
I'm in love with Massachusetts
I'm in love with the radio on
It helps me from being alone late at night
It helps me from being lonely late at night
I don't feel so bad now in the car
Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
Like the roadrunner
That's right

Said welcome to the spirit of 1956
Patient in the bushes next to '57
The highway is your girlfriend as you go by quick
Suburban trees, suburban speed
And it smells like heaven(thunder)
And I say roadrunner once
Roadrunner twice
I'm in love with rock & roll and I'll be out all night
Roadrunner
That's right

Well now
Roadrunner, roadrunner
Going faster miles an hour
Gonna drive to the Stop 'n' Shop
With the radio on at night
And me in love with modern moonlight
Me in love with modern rock & roll
Modern girls and modern rock & roll
Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
Like the roadrunner
O.K., now you sing Modern Lovers

(Radio On!)
I got the AM
(Radio On!)
Got the car, got the AM
(Radio On!)
Got the AM sound, got the
(Radio On!)
Got the rockin' modern neon sound
(Radio On!)
I got the car from Massachusetts, got the
(Radio On!)
I got the power of Massachusetts when it's late at night
(Radio On!)
I got the modern sounds of modern Massachusetts
I've got the world, got the turnpike, got the
I've got the, got the power of the AM
Got the, late at night, (?), rock & roll late at night
The factories and the auto signs got the power of modern sounds
Alright

Right, bye bye!

with apologies to jonothan richmond

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 02:55 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by walktalker
'Fahrenheit 9/11' sparks file-sharing flare-up
Early in the week, anti-Moore Web site MooreWatch.com posted a link to a pirated version of the film available elsewhere on a file-sharing network...

i looked all over that site but couldn't find the link....the only version i know of on the p2p networks is the cam version. if anybody knows what link they're referring to, pm me please...
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 03:57 PM   #5
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
i looked all over that site but couldn't find the link....the only version i know of on the p2p networks is the cam version. if anybody knows what link they're referring to, pm me please...
It's prolly the cam version

Quote:
With the site problems today I haven’t had a chance to comment on the CNN story regarding the downloading of F911 and how I played a role.

First of all, I can’t believe CNN did not contact us for a comment. That’s irresponsible reporting. (see update) And they claim we never cited a source...well, there’s always the damned video clip, eh?

Secondly, we did not host the movie. Nor did we even host the torrent. I *linked* the torrent , which was hosted on a public BitTorrent tracker. If that’s illegal, then we’ve truly fallen as a society. All I did was post a link.

Where it gets interesting is the fact that Moore himself has been very, very clear on his feelings. The following is a transcript of the clip from that European press conference where Moore explicitly states he wants people to download the film. I did not transcribe the “um’s and uh’s” in his speech, since we all do that and they have zero effect on the meaning or context. Feel free to grab a copy yourself and make sure I was accurate.
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 04:39 PM   #6
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Lightbulb all information wants to be free..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore himself
He also points out that "Moore himself has been very, very clear on his feelings" and includes a transcript of a clip from a European press conference where Moore explicitly states he wants people to download the film, to wit:

"Well, I don't agree with the copyright laws and I don't have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people. As long they're not doing it to make a profit off it, as long as they're not, you know, trying to make a profit off my labor. I would oppose that. But um, you know I do quite well and I um...I don't know, I make these books and movies and TV shows because I want things to change, so the more people that get to see them the better, and um, so I'm, I'm happy when that happens, OK? Should I not be happy I don't know?

"It's like if a friend of yours has the DVD of my movie, gave it to you to watch one night, is that person doing something wrong? I'm not seeing any money from that. But he's just handing the DVD to you so that you can watch my movie. A DVD that he bought, but you're not buying it, yet you're watching it without paying me any money. See I think that's OK, and it's always been OK, we share things with people. And I think information and art, ideas should be shared."
http://p2pnet.net/story/1811

not all that original..but he seems to have his heart in the right(left?)place...
i still reckon this guy might be a comedian..that everyone started taking seriously cause he started joking with the obvious horrid defects in western society

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 10:57 PM   #7
walktalker
The local newspaper man

Default The (predictable) reaction of Hollywood

Moore: pirate my film, no problem
Moore’s views have not been well received by Hollywood’s establishment, which is fighting a war against the online pirates it claims cost the industry £1.6 billion a year in lost sales. Jack Valenti, the outgoing president of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), said: “We are proud that American films continue to enjoy immense popularity around the world but the need for copyright protection in the digital age is crucial to the preservation of our most prized trade asset. “Piracy is having a dramatic impact on the creators and copyright owners of this nation, and its defeat depends largely on the commit ment and resolve of the entire industry. “File sharing causes tremendous financial loss to the movie business, untold hardship to support workers, and costs thousands of jobs.”
http://www.sundayherald.com/43167

Especially amusing is this bit:
Quote:
Ironically, the burgeoning underground market for Moore’s much-debated documentary has been championed by both sides of the political divide. While left-wing sites promote the film’s message, opponents of the high-profile polemicist are urging people to “steal” their copy, thus denying its director his cut of the profits.
http://www.sundayherald.com/43167

So everyone in the political spectrum wants everyone to download and watch Moore's movie... The guy can't be happier !!
Old 21-07-04, 08:16 AM   #8
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Default Thankyou

Thanks walktalker ...this is a subject that deserves attention. I've yet to see this film but I look forward to it ...but the whole subject scares me a bit.

Last edited by Maze : 26-07-04 at 02:58 PM.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote