P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-06-02, 05:46 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Eek! One P2P doesn't want former AudioGalaxy users

Soulseek specializes in electronic music and users seem kind of snobbish.

http://www.remmelt.org/slskboard/iko...t=ST;f=3;t=588

http://www.soulseek.org/screenshots.html
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-02, 05:55 AM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Well all I can say is: RIAA 2, Fileshares 0.

Divide and conquer's a good way to split us all up into fighting factions.

Sounds like a bunch of squabbling 2-year (err. make that 12) year olds in there.

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-02, 04:38 PM   #3
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

I notice a lot of the users never posted till the AudioGalaxy issue popped up... Lots of 2 or 3 post counts...

I guess they don't have a "Dawn" on their board...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-02, 05:05 PM   #4
Mowzer
'

That's intresting.

Kinda shows a whole diffrent take on the community thing. A strong link between community and content.

I found a similar take on it all, when I tried to join Afikaster, a p2p app that is black users only.

In seriousness, I think attitudes like that hamper the file shring spirit. Yet at the same time, I see the point.

If I had a p2p app I wouldn't want kazaa users with Real player low bit rate ripped music, and other by products of adware and crap messing up my network.

Quite a unique development in the whole community vs. content aspect.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-02, 07:34 AM   #5
naz
-

some elitist pricks there ...

on the content thing ... audiogalaxy had the best depth of music that I'd found on any p2p (I could find most of what I'm into) kazaa I find ok, like the depth of content on the old napster servers (a lot of hiphop, but mainly pretty populist) ... and its fucking slow, but i can deal with that ... I'm told winmx is even worse in terms of content ...

after 2/3 years of downloading music i'm drawn more and more to obscure albums and genres, so I'm really hoping something steps in the the mp3 p2p breach

those users gotta go somewhere i spose

edit: I actually don't want some option filled fantastic UI in my mp3 p2p app, its fine for movies, games etc, but one thing that appealed to me about audiogalaxy (apart from the content) was it was a nobrainer, now i gotta go te4ach my non techie housemates about remotely qued this, multisource that ...
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-02, 08:01 AM   #6
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by naz
some elitist pricks there ...

No kidding.. Check out their forum.

http://www.remmelt.org/slskboard/iko...fff;act=SF;f=3
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 10:06 AM   #7
nanook
just one of the gang...

let's stop being polite and call them what they are....stuck-up, snobby, assholes.
and btw, is the "inky" over there, our "inky"???

a quote i agree with from a user..."sinewriter"...

"Maybe if people were'nt so #### elitist in parts of the electronic music scene there would be more people enjoying the music."

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 11:39 AM   #8
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

I agree with you nanook! These people don't seem to realise that all the 'underground' stuff they like was so much more available on AG. Maybe they do & that's why they're so pissed off! AG was unique in that it attracted all fans (particularly those of underground styles/artists looking for an easier alternative to IRC etc.) As it grew it attracted more mainstream fans, but as they matured so did their shares, thus perpetuating and increasing the availability of more underground music.

The only thing I couldn't stand about AG is the way you could fill your queue in minutes & get lost in a wasteland of 1000's of similar artist pages. I'm one of those weird people who didn't even purchase CD's before p2p. In fact I didn't even listen to anything, as I was disgusted by all that mainstream crap being inserted into my middle-ear! Believe me, the RIAA would never have seen one cent of my money in any of my lifetimes! And I'm not wasting bandwidth on their $hit either! AG opened my eyes to what I'd been missing out on, just because my tastes were too "out there" to attract the mainstream.

In short, the RIAA can !
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 09:14 PM   #9
naz
-

The soulseek creator posted on that forum welcoming AG users

I've been using it all night, and content wise I find it great, it has a lot of the stuff I'm into ...

other people's tastes might not be catered for i dunno, but as an electronic/dance music resource its great
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 09:18 PM   #10
Mekajinn
green

this is needed... AG was, as u quite rightly say naz, the best for obscure stuff... all the weird and woinderful underground tekno i got was thru AG...

i will check out SS tomorrow... thanx for the link
Mekajinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-02, 12:39 PM   #11

Arrow

Quote:
Sounds like a bunch of squabbling 2-year (err. make that 12) year olds in there.
No doubt there is... like everywhere...

Quote:
on the content thing ... audiogalaxy had the best depth of music that I'd found on any p2p (I could find most of what I'm into)
I used Audiogalaxy and soulseek for months, I know the choice in AG was great, but soulseek was definitely better to find complete albums of unpopular "electro" artists. Why ? because soulseek is mainly composed of guys who are really interested in electronic music, so as soon as someone got a CD he ripped it and shared it on soulseek, also because dling a complete album is easy with soulseek (easier than on AG), so there was always someone online with the full album.

Quote:
"Maybe if people were'nt so #### elitist in parts of the electronic music scene there would be more people enjoying the music."
We like electronic music or not, like we like R&B or Hip Hop, I don't see where is the elitism.
We don't claim one kind of music is SUPERIOR, the guys at soulseek like all sort of music and influences, not "only" one.

Quote:
I agree with you nanook! These people don't seem to realise that all the 'underground' stuff they like was so much more available on AG
Same here, I tested both programs for a long time, so I had an idea on what was (un)available on each, and AG was not always the best solution, if it was, i would have used AG more often.

Quote:
Maybe they do & that's why they're so pissed off!
hum... we just go where we can find what we search, there is no "jealousy", I like both community, if it wasn't the case i wouldn't have spent so much time helping the AG community through Napsterfr.net (a website I contribute to)

Quote:
but as an electronic/dance music resource its great
It is even great for more "specific" music than "electronic/dance"

---

Now, to explain the fact that soulseek people did not appreciate the coming of AG people, it is mainly because for a long time we were bothered with a server problem, we had to find a way to host more people. As soulseek was first "totally centralized" and the traffic was too much important, until recently hosting so many people wasn't possible. Nir (soulseek's developper) had made soulseek using a semi-decentralized network and apparently all goes well.
So soulseek users were affraid that some Audiogalaxy users who don't share their interest in electronic music would lead soulseek to its end, making soulseek another Kazaa and thus soulseek would have lost all its interest although there is zillions of other P2P that NEED users and can host many people without any trouble. Some other users argue that they are affraid RIAA will decide to shutdown soulseek because of the bring of mainstream artists.
For thoose who still dont understand, It is as if all the boards on internet were closed, except napsterites.net. People would go on napsterites.net and post topics totally unrelated with P2P in order to continue what they did elsewhere.
Soulseek represented an "utopic" vision of the file sharing, imagine a single server which can handle a community sharing a COMMON interest (thematic servers), a server where we can find all what we want (even underground music) with a single computer used as server (not a hundred servers as for napster or audiogalaxy). Soulseek could have been a Direct Connect HUB... I still don't know why DC HUB administrators aren't creating more "specific" rules concerning what they share.

PS: Sorry for my english.
111110101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-02, 07:29 AM   #12
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default yea but

Quote:
Originally posted by 111110101011

No doubt there is... like everywhere...

---

Now, to explain the fact that soulseek people did not appreciate the coming of AG people, it is mainly because for a long time we were bothered with a server problem, we had to find a way to host more people. As soulseek was first "totally centralized" and the traffic was too much important, until recently hosting so many people wasn't possible. Nir (soulseek's developper) had made soulseek using a semi-decentralized network and apparently all goes well.
So soulseek users were affraid that some Audiogalaxy users who don't share their interest in electronic music would lead soulseek to its end, making soulseek another Kazaa and thus soulseek would have lost all its interest although there is zillions of other P2P that NEED users and can host many people without any trouble. Some other users argue that they are affraid RIAA will decide to shutdown soulseek because of the bring of mainstream artists.
For thoose who still dont understand, It is as if all the boards on internet were closed, except napsterites.net. People would go on napsterites.net and post topics totally unrelated with P2P in order to continue what they did elsewhere.
Soulseek represented an "utopic" vision of the file sharing, imagine a single server which can handle a community sharing a COMMON interest (thematic servers), a server where we can find all what we want (even underground music) with a single computer used as server (not a hundred servers as for napster or audiogalaxy). Soulseek could have been a Direct Connect HUB... I still don't know why DC HUB administrators aren't creating more "specific" rules concerning what they share.

PS: Sorry for my english.
What I found so disconcerting was the sheer hostility and anomosity of the Soulseek users posting on their [public] board!

That in and of itself was either enough to turn off potential new users (who perhaps MAY have had files to contribute to SS) but also to folks whose fuses were already shortened by AG and the RIAA or those "homeless" ones checking out something new.

ICK! I'm glad I'm not into electronic music............to think that SS was the ONLY option left to me............I think I'd elect to "pass on it".

Old 29-06-02, 07:52 PM   #13
greedy_lars
everything you do

hehehe

bottom o the page
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-02, 08:16 PM   #14
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars
hehehe

bottom o the page
Yep, that sums things up rather nicely...........
Old 29-06-02, 09:59 PM   #15
greedy_lars
everything you do

wow this is what i get when i try to go back, maybe i crashed their server

Ikonboard CGI Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ikonboard has exited with the following error:

Disk quota exceeded

This error was reported at: Sources/Lib/ADMIN.pm line 300.

Please note that your 'real' paths have been removed to protect your information.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-02, 07:55 AM   #16

Default Re: yea but

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

ICK! I'm glad I'm not into electronic music............to think that SS was the ONLY option left to me............I think I'd elect to "pass on it".

Would you stop using a prog because of a few stupid people who are also using it ?

Quote:
wow this is what i get when i try to go back, maybe i crashed their server
I Hope you wouldn't have been proud of it, if it was the case.
111110101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-02, 10:18 AM   #17
zombywoof

forum snobs i say.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-02, 02:09 PM   #18
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: Re: yea but

Quote:
Originally posted by 111110101011

Would you stop using a prog because of a few stupid people who are also using it ?

Yes I would. Stopped using Bearshare years ago for some slightly different reasons.

As always, YMMV.

I Hope you wouldn't have been proud of it, if it was the case.
edited for typo.

Last edited by goldie : 01-07-02 at 03:38 PM.