P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 17-07-02, 10:08 PM   #41
greedy_lars
everything you do

wow nice bump, i never seen this thread before.

Quote:
Originally posted by aaacbada
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 05:55 AM   #42
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by gazdet

Reychal has also suggested a "serious topic" forum as well.

Again...we need to think about the ramifications of possibly "dividing" people that want to post a "serious type" thread and then "losing" those threads in a new forum should nobody check them out.

This may not be a problem however, as I feel that the people that mainly wish to discuss "on topic/content" type threads will be the ones moving those threads anyway, should you wish to post the thread in the Underground first..

On the contrary you have some small scale dividing now. I personally do NOT go to the underground very often "less than once per month"
I don't have the time to keep up with it. And frankly for the most part I just don't care for it. When I first came here I used to check it and browse topics and come back to read up on the serious ones. Often times these threads moved faster than a person could find them. Sooo..... In the end I just don't visit there
Yes there are good threads there I know it. But I simply don't like to sort through 2 pages of topics that have little or no interest to me

In short make a haven for the serious Moderate it well... cut off the off topic posters let the discussion continue and we all might learn something. There are a ton of very intelligent people here we all can learn something from that And if we really need to know who don't wear underwear we can go to the underground
Old 18-07-02, 06:59 AM   #43
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi AweSchucks!

Over a year has passed since the discussions in this thread. I have been very pleased to see how Peer to Peer has gradually developed into an active topical forum and attracted a lot of interest and expertise around it. The signal-to-noise ratio here is excellent and you are certainly not the only member being mainly interested in topical discussions and leaving the underwear discussions and more personal chitchat for those that find pleasure in them.

All the topical forums - P2P, Byte Bits, The Music and Napsterites News - have their own regular readers. Being open to outsiders these informative forums serve also many non-members, and especially during the last few months there have been a lot of interested visitors - many of whom end up signing as members after a while. To some degree the membership has been splitting over different forums but as there is no antagonistic 'grouping' associated with it I consider it just natural and positive development. Some people come after content, some after company, some after both - and we try our best to serve them all.

As for your suggestion of creating a moderated 'haven for the serious' ( ) it is definitely something to look at but the time might not yet be ripe for it. We are still quite a small community and there might simply be too few members to make a generic (political, philosophical, religious or whatever) 'serious' discussion forum lively and interesting enough.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 07:10 AM   #44
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Hee Hee I was so busy reading I never even looked at the dates

Oh well

I would still like to see a serious general discussion forum.
Old 18-07-02, 07:56 AM   #45
JackSpratts

i'm with you aweshucks! the reaction to this bump over the past few days has been fascinating. it's proving again how much a part of a board's self-identity the archive is. we have a pretty good idea where we are today but there's nothing like running the clock backwards to see how we got here. tg is right of course in that our numbers at present might have trouble supporting a monolithically topical and aggressively moderated forum, but that shouldn't stop anyone from proposing ideas. the time may not be that far into the future for something new. i’ve become increasingly concerned that technology alone isn't winning this fight against censorship and tryrany so i'm looking at new platforms to explore. perhaps Internet Communications, Politics and Law for instance, with regular guests from the EFF and other similar organizations, ties to groups in washington and LA and weekly public interviews in chat. it’s just an idea for now. it's a lot of dedication and work and it will probably require several people to handle the heavy lifting but the more i see these days the more i feel has to be done. but whatever happens this board will continue to evolve in ways we foresee and in other ways as well. like any living thing it grows and watching it, and helping it, is rewarding and fun.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 08:21 AM   #46
naz
-

id like to see a front end for the site ... instead of flash intro, maybe a listing of the top five topics in each of the public forums ...

thats only a wee niggle, tho ... the peer to peer forum is a very good resource, I seldom feel that i have anything decent to contribute
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 08:58 AM   #47
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by naz
id like to see a front end for the site ... instead of flash intro, maybe a listing of the top five topics in each of the public forums ...

thats only a wee niggle, tho ... the peer to peer forum is a very good resource, I seldom feel that i have anything decent to contribute
I like this idea, Naz

Quote:
personally, I really like the way that SiXXguNNz has set up the 'front end' for Napsterites.ORG and I don't really see the two forums as being devisive or in competition....moreover I see them as being extensions of the other.

and as for
Quote:
Please don't feel that way, Naz as I've seen some really good posts made by you in P2P and I think that you have A LOT to add.

Now also hello, TankGirl and Hello JackSpratts

I would like to see a forum area dedicated explicitly to flaming as that is what I enjoy. so how about a 'flamer's forum'?

just me views...thanks

-butterfly_kisses
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 10:37 AM   #48
multi
Thanks for being with arse

As far as i can work out hyperspace is the flaming forum...
would i be right there.....

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 10:38 AM   #49
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i’ve become increasingly concerned that technology alone isn't winning this fight against censorship and tryrany so i'm looking at new platforms to explore. perhaps Internet Communications, Politics and Law for instance, with regular guests from the EFF and other similar organizations, ties to groups in washington and LA and weekly public interviews in chat. it’s just an idea for now. it's a lot of dedication and work and it will probably require several people to handle the heavy lifting but the more i see these days the more i feel has to be done.
i think it's a very good idea. only problem being i'm not sure if the naptitties membership here is large enough to be any political pressence for any country. after all the membership is low hundreds; which is pretty much nothing politically speaking. so it seems like a waste of time for now.

still i think it's a good idea... maybe a web site? then again the EFF web site already does the job any political website should do in terms of informing, petitions, and being a trustworthy source...
Old 18-07-02, 11:09 AM   #50
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by butterfly_kisses
I would like to see a forum area dedicated explicitly to flaming as that is what I enjoy. so how about a 'flamer's forum'?

-butterfly_kisses [/b]
that is somewhat akin to professor stephen hawkin enjoying nascar driving
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-02, 12:19 PM   #51
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

A front end for this site is a great idea!! With all the news info and new releases of clients it would be an easy stop to get updated. Rather than having to look through several forums the links would all be in one place and easy to find!
I like that fact that this thread got bumped and opened an old can of worms.
As for worring about the number of users to support another forum. That can be looked at in reverse as well. Maybe more will join when they see a good solid ON TOPIC forum without fear of flaming or a watered down thread where you have to read between the lines.
I know I would visit and post alot more if there was one, and I suspect that there may be a few more like me.....either here or lurking.
Fact of the matter you never now until you try
Old 20-07-02, 04:47 PM   #52
alkizz
annoying

Quote:
Originally posted by butterfly_kisses
I would like to see a forum area dedicated explicitly to laming as that is what I enjoy. so how about a lamer's forum'?