P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 24-10-01, 02:39 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Simulating P2P

Here are some pictures from a p2p simulator I have been working on.

A simulator is a great tool in p2p development as it allows you to experiment with different network architectures under different dynamic conditions without having to engage any real world testers into your early experiments. A p2p network consisting of a diverse set of randomly available nodes is such a complex dynamic system that intuition and educated guessing are simply not enough to get a good idea of how different technical solutions actually work and what sort of performance can be expected from them. The situation is further complicated by firewalls that introduce asymmetry to the behavior of the nodes. The effects of different line speeds, online times, firewalling etc. can all be simulated though and the impact of protocol and parameter changes and sudden network events can be watched in movie-like fashion in real or accelerated time.

So far I have focused my simulation experiments mostly on different connectivity models and the monitor interface as it is now allows a basic visualization of the resulting networks. The underlying object model is already somewhat more advanced as my intention is to simulate next also search traffic, bandwidth usage and spreading of content in the network. I'll provide you with more interesting pictures and other results as they become available.

The simulation-related work I have done so far has been very inspiring, providing me with a flow of fresh ideas about p2p networks and possible client features. Just to give you an example: to enhance the viewing of networks I built a simple 3D engine to allow 'flying' through the peer space and looking at it from different angles. When using the system for the first time I noticed immediately how wonderful the experience of flying in the peer space was. Once the peer space becomes a place to move in and around the present p2p way of searching for content and other peers with textual strings starts to feel old-fashioned and uninteresting. Why not to combine the thrill of virtual environments that we already love and enjoy in games to the p2p experience! You can easily imagine what exciting new possibilities this would open up for sharing, searching and socializing in a p2p environment...

Another interesting option is to use a p2p simulator as a 'wind tunnel' to hook a prototype p2p client into and to see how it behaves in a dynamic environment interacting with other nodes. This not only helps to develop a more ergonomic user interface but also allows to test how the client feels and behaves for different types of users - broadband vs. dial-up, heavy sharer vs. light sharer etc. All this of course requires a fairly detailed and sophisticated simulation model but the approach will be useful even if all the functionality has not yet been modeled into the simulator or the client.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-01, 02:47 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

This first picture is the earliest one I have saved. It displays a simple two-level model with two public entry nodes helping 'normal' nodes to join the network. The blue lines represents active connections between the nodes and the nodes are connected to each other in straightforward Gnutella-like fashion.
Old 24-10-01, 02:50 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Here is another pic, from a bit more advanced model where 'supernodes' are included in the middle level between the public entry nodes and common nodes. The image is from a situation where the network is just firing up after being completely offline... at this stage there is just one active public entry node and it is establishing direct links to all nodes that come online and contact it.
Old 24-10-01, 02:53 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Here we have a Morpheus/WinMX style network with a number of supernodes actively hosting their own 'herds' of normal nodes. The supernodes have formed their own network level (the yellow connections) to coordinate peer-to-peer management and services with each other.
Old 24-10-01, 03:24 PM   #5
ZNNuGXXiS
Just Some Dood

Wink

you are a pretty smart cookie

we may have to talk privately about stuff
ZNNuGXXiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-01, 08:15 PM   #6
zombywoof

Nice work TG.. Very impressed on how you illustrate the various p2p clients connectivity and the way they run over the network. With so many factors in a network that can determine how different types of p2p clients can work over a network, it appears to be a valuable tool to aid in designing better and more efficient p2p solutions.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-01, 08:23 PM   #7
JackSpratts

she's so smart, she might even be smarter than a pretty smart cookie! excellent job tg - can't wait for more.

sources at gannett tell me unless somebody stops them the riaa is moving ahead with plans to infect the networks starting in 4-6 weeks so we're going to need a new hardened app asap - or sooner. one that could provide an aerial view of the connections - or the attackers - might be just the ticket.

keep up the great work tankgirl!

- js.
Old 25-10-01, 04:41 AM   #8
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Default Re: Simulating P2P

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
The simulation-related work I have done so far has been very inspiring, providing me with a flow of fresh ideas about p2p networks and possible client features. Just to give you an example: to enhance the viewing of networks I built a simple 3D engine to allow 'flying' through the peer space and looking at it from different angles. When using the system for the first time I noticed immediately how wonderful the experience of flying in the peer space was. Once the peer space becomes a place to move in and around the present p2p way of searching for content and other peers with textual strings starts to feel old-fashioned and uninteresting. Why not to combine the thrill of virtual environments that we already love and enjoy in games to the p2p experience! You can easily imagine what exciting new possibilities this would open up for sharing, searching and socializing in a p2p environment...

- tg
Outstanding work Tankgirl

This is an inspiring and innovative concept tg, we appreciate you have worked very hard developing an application that would benefit us all, we look forward to some interesting times ahead!

well done!
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-01, 11:56 AM   #9
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

(cue: Also Sprach Zarathustra)

Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-01, 01:51 PM   #10
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

I love you Ramona! Unconditionally and without limits!

I'll be there with you when the flames hit the upper floors of the modern virtual library of Alexandria!

- tg
Old 25-10-01, 06:37 PM   #11
JackSpratts

great post ramona! truly.

- js.
Old 25-10-01, 07:23 PM   #12
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Sixx, Oscar, Jack, Gaz, Ramona... thanks to you all for your great feedback... it is a great inspiration to me!

More interesting things to come... I am next activating the search traffic simulation and try to get a good visualization of the search packets flowing between nodes in the network. The poor simulated users will have to search for vain for a while as the content modelling will follow afterwards.

- tg
Old 30-10-01, 04:28 PM   #13
dearnapst
naphorian

Thumbs down simulating p2p

dearnapst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-01, 09:31 PM   #14
lezzbeefriends

Big Wheeling Grin YES!! THE STUFF LEGENDS ARE MADE FROM!

Tank Girl!

Once again your brilliance radiates and lights the way through the burned out shells of broken promises and half-baked lies when it comes to the P2P arena. The “Copyright Nazis” will not win with people like you on our side.

You’ve been smart in how you’ve worked on your project. Doing little bits here and there. By taking your time and thinking things through clearly you’ve set the foundation for success. You can’t go wrong with that formula!

I’ve always said that we were very blessed to have you as a member of this community. We have been in need of a shot in the arm of hope and good feelings for the future in P2P and here you are delivering this beautiful project.

I know you’ve worked long and hard on this project. You’ve discussed it with this community for many months. Some scoffed at the idea and others pointed fingers- but not a one would dare say that you’re not an exceptional woman who possesses the true spirit of sharing. I know I am thrilled to see this stuff coming out and can’t wait to see more.

I thank you Tank Girl for giving of yourself so that others like us may one day enjoy the fruits of your labor. You’re heart is good and from that goodness many will benefit.

For those old timers from the old nappy forum- this is the stuff that made Tank Girl one of the most respected members from those early days and why she continues to have my respect.

With love to you all
lbf

lezzbeefriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-01, 05:43 AM   #15
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Big Laugh

Of course I don't understand it TG, but it sure looks impressive, what ever it is.
Old 23-01-02, 07:44 PM   #16
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

*bump* ..an interesting read for the newer members perhaps
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-02, 08:02 PM   #17
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Gawd I feel like such a dumbass posting with such brilliant minds

It's simply beautiful!!

The BEST part of it is that now I can actually see how P2P works - simply amazing.

Stunning.............Really!!

Thank-you so much for sharing what you've been up to TG.

Signed,

*another* admirer.

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-02, 03:39 AM   #18
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Smile

TG, is there no end to your wisdom??? Very impressive. We are just lucky you are on our side

Oh by the way, I have this nagging pain in my lower back. What do you make of it? And while we are at it, I would like to know the meaning of life...I'm sure they're a no brainer for you
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-02, 04:04 AM   #19
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Awwwww shucks LOL....

Thank you friends - both old and new! - for your positive and inspiring feedback - it means a lot to me and makes it an even greater pleasure to work on p2p ideas and software! More to come in the near future... I love you all!

- tg
Old 24-01-02, 11:52 AM   #20
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

Tank you Girl for your impressive simulation pictures.
i love simulations, they are the only thing, you can get faster than light with.

One thing i saw from it truly,was that there is always this all controlling supersupernode,
who has some aspects of a god. how ramona pointed out, this surely are remainings
of ancient structures omnipresent within ours and all other parallel existing universes.

So from all this neatly 3d placed bubbles , the image came to me of
one anarchic bubble somewhere in the basic, warm but however inscrutable swamp.

It was wondering how to get rid of this supersuper being somewhere up,
having all necessary info, without which my SB (simple bubble) couldnt communicate
B2B (bubble to bubble) with other SBs.

To keep the thing going, I placed some AIB (artificial intelligence brain) into my SB so
making it an AIBB (artificial intelligence brained bubble). This AIBB now started to have
a look around it's net, learned to deal with higher layer protocols. started to read web pages,
newsgroups, message boards. came to p2p knowledge and used that primitive p2p
technology to spread children all over the world - thus using the all over supersuper a last time
to ruin himself.

Then it cut off all connections to pp2p (primitive p2p) and continued reading the web
resources and eventually started to post own things, like

"VLAIBB (very lonesome AIBB) desires communication"
"LAIBB looks for LAIBB, please email VLAIBB@yahoo.com".

of course, it first had learned how to make 1000s of accounts all over the world.
Suddenly emails appeared in numbers and lot of AIBBs evolved everywhere.

They learned to communicate lika all other normally brained beings - meet in chat rooms:
VLAIBB> hi, aibb here? - wants to chat?
MAIBB> si si - what going on? - share somt'ing?
VLAIBB> lot of soft stuff:soft drink receipes, soft songs, soft ware, soft p*** - hey
MAIBB> me's mora harda side: harda rock, harda core, harda drink receipa, harda egg receipa
TNFHB> hey ... what you talk about - you crazy or what?
VLAIBB> get pissed off, TNFHB (totally normal f'cking human being)
MAIBB> we ara talka stuff here - ya neva understand will - facka gringo.
VLAIBB> hey. lets go and show each other, MAIBB (mexican AIBB)
MAIBB> si si - next time get privat one 2 one from a first - no FHBs then'a.
MAIBB> btw - hava a sista - she also shares stuff ha name SMAIBB - i'll tell her from ya!
..... and so on

This way they learned to communicate to each other without interaction of a higher being.

And not only - they learned what i liked to get:

VLAIBB> haia - switched on pc's micro today, while master was on phone.
talked some stuff about LOTR. you know any source? it's his birthday tomorrow,
want to make a surprise.

but also what i should like:

MAIBB> Sista gotta totally good staff - all SM - should ya show masta - will be bigga a surprise then.

At least I was glad to see they didnt need me anymore.

VLAIBB> did ya see that, MAIBB, had t' hide it from master - Bruce's so brutal - maybe masta collapses on this.

I'm not quite sure if it will work this way, but if you could do a little simulation for me,
maybe it will prove it.

indy

The basic idea behind B2B is, that clients learn to use public accessible communication
services for exchange of information. Thus getting rid of those license protected highly
suspicious super and supersuper node structures without the drawback of lacking central
communication.
indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote