P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-04-02, 06:06 AM   #1
AYB

Exclamation "inside scoop"

At the risk of being extremely irresponsible by letting ppl know about this b4 anything is set in stone, Grokster have registered interest in using the MorpheusX sourcecode for an addon.

In case any of you happened to miss my last post, you can now get the MX sourcecode from my webby, http://go.to/MorpheusX for all manner of devious plans for world domination you may have.
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 06:11 AM   #2
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Good News
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 06:58 AM   #3
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

AYB,

so you recommend to buy some MorpheusX shares while the news hasn't leaked yet and prices are still affordable? Or will this be just another .com bubble to burst?

LOL

Stoepsel
Old 23-04-02, 09:35 AM   #4
AYB

hehe Stoepsel

Actually there's little for MX to gain as its open source now. Just conferring with them to make sure I get the credit I deserve. I find it quite bizzare as I would've thought its the kind of thing that would be a helluva lot easier to code, if like Grokster, you're actually writing the client.

Besides, my P2P app will have automated "find more sources" built in and repeat any of your outstanding searches on a regular basis, so if it's a rare file you'll still have a chance of finding it. (stay tuned for more xciting news on it )
Old 23-04-02, 10:15 AM   #5
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by AYB
I find it quite bizzare as I would've thought its the kind of thing that would be a helluva lot easier to code, if like Grokster, you're actually writing the client.
Yeah, I've been an avid user of MX while I was still using Morpheus and Grokster. Not doing so know because of the BDE debate going on.

I also followed your MX message board and read that a lot of the features that would make MX more powerful can't be done, because you have no real way to control the client (e.g. Grokster) in such a way that would allow you to advanced tweaking. Like things that the eDonkey bot does to eDonkey. Or maybe you just haven't had the time to really get into manipulating the client in such advanced ways.

I'd also expect that Grokster could incorporate such features more easily, assuming that they actually write the client.

Be sure to keep us posted on your advances on your p2p client. I'm sure a lot of Napsterites would be willing to give your client a whirl even in the earliest of development stages.

Stoepsel
Old 23-04-02, 10:46 AM   #6
AYB

Rest assured that as soon as it is even approaching a usable form you guys will b able to get your hands on it I consider u guys the most knowledgable and "hardcore" of the file sharing community so your views/ideas are important. Being able to preview video frames with minimal transfer so you won't get taken in by misleading filenames perhaps?
Old 23-04-02, 10:53 AM   #7
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default here is the most stupidest suggestion you will ever here me make i hope

AYB i've been experimenting with streaming technology a little bit..have you tried Streambox VCR or the ASF recorder...maybe by studying these two programs

you could encorporate some aspects/elements of it into your own client...

(i'm always asking for too much and failing to appreciate what is already before my eyes)

AYB just ignore me i am a moron...

you've already contributed greatly to pioneering in p2p especially on my favorite clients Grokster/KaZaA/oldMorpheus

I'm glad you still are plugging away at finding ways to improve and make better this/these clients or even your own.

more power to ya!

Harbynger
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 10:55 AM   #8
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Like things that the eDonkey bot does to eDonkey.
Have you been keeping up with th eDonkey scene? The Bots got shut down on Sat. One of the things the Bot did was flood the network with it's searches - we're running Botless now...
Old 23-04-02, 11:19 AM   #9
AYB

Harbynger,

Dont b so hard on urself

You mean streaming as something different from checking a video is what it says it is? (or a sound file for that matter). I have been considering streaming in this way, but there are major issues with doing it over P2P, the biggest being ppl disconnecting when you're in the middle of watching/listening, the second biggest being speeds too slow to stream. Still, it's a nice idea, and goes to show that great minds think alike mite b able to work out a solution, but dont hold ur breath
Old 23-04-02, 11:23 AM   #10
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

they for sure should call it the
AYB
Advanced Yahoo Button ... at last you find everything

indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 12:16 PM   #11
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Have you been keeping up with th eDonkey scene? The Bots got shut down on Sat. One of the things the Bot did was flood the network with it's searches - we're running Botless now...
Buzz,

yep, eDonkey, along with WinMX, is currently my prime p2p app. I am following the eDonkey bot debate pretty closely. I know that the bot causes a lot of problems for the eDonkey network. And I didn't mean to imply that the bot was good.

It was merely an example of how much tweaking one program can do to another. The bot adds/changes buttons to eDonkey, automatically reconnects to other servers if the dl/ul rate drops below a certain threshold for a given amount of time, pauses and restarts downloads if there is no transfer, and all that.

I am fully aware that this causes havock to the eDonkey network, but it is, as I said, a good example of one program manipulating another - like MX does, to a lesser extent, to Grokster.

Agreed?

Stoepsel - just as happy running eDonkey bot-less
Old 23-04-02, 12:54 PM   #12
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

re previewing video, what about a 'plug-in'/script whatever (is it obvious I have no idea what I'm talking about?) that automatically:
  • copies the dat created from the first meg or two of a movie download
  • opens and runs VirtualDub's avi-fix feature to create a playable avi file from the dat
  • plays this avi 'preview'
my thinking behind suggesting VirtualDub being:

a) this is how many people do movie previews 'manually' at the moment
b) you don't have to create a fixing/previewing tool from scratch, and VD (snigger) combines both fix and play in one prog
c) VD is free, so lots of people have it and anyone who doesn't can just d/l it
d) VD is open-source, would that make designing a 'plug-in'/'script' easier for it?

Feel free to label me a moron if what I've suggested is completely impracticable.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-02, 01:25 PM   #13
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel
Buzz,

yep, eDonkey, along with WinMX, is currently my prime p2p app.

Agreed?

Stoepsel - just as happy running eDonkey bot-less
Agreed!

I think I have actually been having more success bot-less.

I have switched to that combination as well (eDonkey\WinMX)
Old 23-04-02, 01:43 PM   #14
AYB

Indy:

lol thanx (i think )

twinspan:

actually that's pretty much how I would accomplish it, except without the 3rd party programs. And I'm hoping for even less than a couple of megs of data needing to b transferred, but I'll have to see, haven't started on that aspect of the client.
Old 23-04-02, 03:50 PM   #15
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Someone needs to start working on ASF recorder again. It doesn't work with launch anymore . How about incorperating a newsgroup search? Maybe you could just work on gift and plugins for it?
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-02, 12:13 PM   #16
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
I think I have actually been having more success bot-less.
Damn, I miss the server reconnect and update in the bot. I keep getting disconnected from servers on a regular basis (I run my donkey 24/7), and even with the 'stay connected' option checked I always find myself reconnecting on a search or resume, when it realizes it's been disconnected for the last 10 hours! Otherwise I haven't had that much trouble without the bot.

Oh, another nice feature of the bot was the FGS, I just wish it was slower, even on the slowest setting it was too fast. You can extend search manually, and I always do, but the bot would nicely aggregate same files from different servers, while the donkey doesn't, it adds the results from every server to the list. So you have lots of mess to sort through, and just end up with a bunch of 'you're already downloading ...' messages.

In short, bring the bot back asap!
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 02:31 AM   #17
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

hi AYB
re video preview: I forgot you already DAT Repairer built into MorpheusX. So here's to fully integrated avi preview in next Grokster client (fingers crossed they buy your coding)

been playing around with MorfX more lately (didn't before coz of paused files). Some downloads that had been sitting around for weeks at 0KB finally d/l'ed.

And I d/l'ed an entire movie in 8 hours at around 15-30kbps, instead of the usual 36 hours with constant manual 'find more sources' coz i get stuck d/l'ing from a modem user at 0.12kbps.

But... (and there had to be a but, otherwise life would be perfect and boring)

But some files in my d/l window disappeared completely. Not upset really (a couple of songs at 0kb, so no great loss).

And if I'm editing a file's details in My Grokster when MorfX refreshes the Traffic, Grokster crashes ('illegal operation'). It was after one such crash that 1 song disappeared from my d/l window.

I suppose I should go thru the read-me again (been a while) & check the MorfX forum about this, I'll head over there this afternoon.

Overall tho, I'm very happy with the effect MorfX has on d/l'ing and I now use it regularly. Good luck with the Grok folks.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 05:30 AM   #18
AYB

twinspan:

I've completely stopped work on MX, my vid previewing suggestion is with respect to my new project, a p2p client

As far as your files disappearing, if some did it at 0k I have a feeling it was probably because they "failed". MX issues a clear downloaded/erroneous command b4 refreshing so it doesnt try to refresh completed downloads.