P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-10-02, 09:07 AM   #1
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

NoSmiley Soulseek Users: Help needed

This is ONLY an UPLOAD problem.

All the uploads and queues are gone. All I see is a few "failed" attempts.

Downloads work OK, and uploads worked well for a day.

There is no way that no one is uploading since the queues were really LONG and uploads constant.

So what can be the problem ? I don't use a firewall, and no other p2p program ever failed to upload.

I have not received any message, maybe because they can't get through.

Maybe one of the many cfg files is corrupted?

Thanks in advance.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-02, 11:48 AM   #2
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

I've been concerned about my uploads as well, since they've been failing more frequently and when they do run they're as slow as shit. I ran a test from www.dslreports.com and came to the conclusion that my isp has capped the crap out of my uploads; either that or the service is super-bogged down at the time I'm running SLSK.

On the cfg file front, I dunno, but when I upgraded to 139, that really when most troubles began.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-02, 12:50 PM   #3
JackSpratts

i share maybe 300-400 files on soulseek, as opposed to 1500-3000 on some other networks like wnp, fasttrack and the opennaps. no particular reason except maybe i just remove the files faster to make room for more. call it faster turnover let's say. i also use it less than the others and when i do use it i'm not on as long.

bearing that in mind i do notice i send up fewer files when i'm using ss than when i'm on the others. because i have less available to begin with? maybe. but while winmx or ft can take 100 uploads each per day on average, soulseek may take 10.

so if i have the time and the bandwidth (i may need both for work this week and next), and now that i've seen this thread i'll try running it for a full day to see what happens.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-02, 05:25 PM   #4
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Very Angry Arrrrggggggh!!

The first day uploaded around 300 Megs, minus the internal overhead traffic, uploads averaging 16 KiloBYTES total, statistically 8 KB average per individual upload.

Right NOW my uploads tally is ZERO.

I allow 100% allocated upload, 256 KiloBITS/sec, in practice an average of 24 KiloBYTES, more math needed to convert.

The traffic when NO upload/NO download is going on: 10 kiloBYTES average, 14 peak OUTgoing/ 3 kiloBYTES av, 5 pk INcoming.

Soulseek is an overhead traffic demon, my goback log register 50 new entries every minute, indicating every cfg file & everything else updated constantly, which is good, although "too much" of a good IMHO.

In street talk this means the overhead traffic is taking out almost half of my usable real life upload throughput, and I suppose everyone else's in the network, something to suggest to Mr Nir to do something about.

I was offered to upgrade to 139 one minute after installing 138 so I took the plunge, and haven't had the pleasure of using it.

Time to make to Nir some sensible suggestions.

PS: All these statistics with NO other internet activity going on. I wonder about using 2 or 3 p2p progs at the same time.

Last edited by spstn : 01-12-02 at 02:09 AM.
Old 22-10-02, 07:09 PM   #5
JackSpratts

within 120 seconds of opening soulseek uploaders logged in and started their files. a unique feature of soulseeks' is "saved uploads". almost every app has saved incomplete downloads but incomplete uploads is exclusivley soulseeks' as far as i know. the difference is somewhat metaphysical if you think about it but there it is nonetheless.

i'd shut down sunday night at 2am, leaving "moonica" with a few budda bar incompletes and there they were on my screen waiting for her to resume just now, which they did a few minutes after i logged on. i set the u/l bandwidth to higher than my isp provides me (128k) to see how fast i can upload and the uploaders are now using all i have and then some. my guess is it's working fine.

- js.
Attached Images

Old 23-10-02, 03:10 AM   #6
napho
Dawn's private genie

BTW You can trade more than music on Soulseek.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-02, 08:49 AM   #7
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Kiss My Ass Oh Fate, How Ironic Can You Be ?

As a reward to all the trouble I went trying to better my upload experience, a member of Soulseek royalty hose me down with a healthy dose of royal size snot-tery.

You better abide by the rules, usually a different set per user, I guess, and don't go about using lack of knowledge as an excuse, that's a NO-NO. Newbies need not to apply.

This threw me back to the days of old Albion, where feudal masters ruled with iron hand over their Folders, I mean Castles, making rules as they went.

Oh well, the age of Halcyon sure it's not.

So if the moment comes, be ready to finagle, and resort to ego massaging, because you'll have to go along to get along.

It's no so difficult, just like being a politician. Aaarrrggghhh....!

And to Napho:

Thanks for the suggestion. I only downloaded a movie, JUST one: Monster Inc., and that was enough.

I rent the movies, new releases (DVD), for a day:$ 2.00.

HI-FI Professional grade Maxell tape: $ 0.80 (In bulk).

A tiny black box that performs an innocent "stabilizing": $ 19.00.

Two top of the line Sony VCRs: Priceless

In my 25" TV is hard to tell the difference between original and copy, and there is no Macrovision hangover whatsoever.

Besides, sorting search results in Slsk it's a chore, to say the least.

So I'm going to leave my uploads alone, and let the chips fall where they may.

Snotty-ness gets to me. Just skin deep, dough.

Update:

His/Her Majesty has dispensed me with what look like a genuine Royal Pardon, and if I behave properly, become a buddy list socialite, and my royal dream, a Slsk Knight.

How about His Ubermeister, Sir Spstn.

Ah ! p2p la-la-land !

Last edited by spstn : 23-10-02 at 12:49 PM.
Old 23-10-02, 11:11 AM   #8
JackSpratts

well, what did he say?

- js.
Old 23-10-02, 12:38 PM   #9
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

GrinYes UN Draft Resolution Mode, Aka Weasel Wording

With the situation resolved, I rather resort to UN non-speak language, with a Monty Python slant, and a tad of hectic Cleesonian Fawlty Towers.

Let's say that I unintendedly broke a netiquette rule particular to this user, and when contacted I didn't know the correct "procedure" to follow up.

So what came afterwards was a mix of Folder over-nurturing and p2p cabin fever, exacerbated by the ongoing threat of being overpowered by the hordes of Top Forty huns, or in layman terms, a display of siege mentality.

Ironically enough, I wholeheartedly agree with the Top Forty part, so looking at the situation from the outside, it looked like one of the best Fawlty Towers episodes. Remember the hilarious misunderstandings with the rather mature spanish bellboy ?There you go.

So all is well now, another non-issue in the grand scheme of things, as in the 100.00001% of p2p misunderstandings.

I still would like to be knighted, dough.

Re-Update:

Ps: Please note I said knighted, not knifed.

Last edited by spstn : 01-12-02 at 02:17 AM.
Old 26-10-02, 10:31 AM   #10
WilliamdeWorde
reporter

yeah , dont worry about the uploads.

Let the cookie crumble.....

spstn : you're funny. Great rhetoric.

WilliamdeWorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-02, 11:00 AM   #11
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Brows 12:00 AM And Blinking

To WilliamdeWorde:

Very gracious and encouraging words, indeed.

Very much so, since I self taught the language, and a whole new culture for that matter, at an age where, according to the pundits who I sought advice from, I would certainly fail if left to my own devices, pretty much like trying to learn how to program a blinking 12:00 AM Vcr on your own (their analogy, NOT mine).

Now I can say with a well founded certainty that I cheated:

I already knew how to program Vcrs.

And then some.