P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-01-04, 06:00 AM   #1
CORRUPTERBUSTER
Apprentice Napsterite

Cool Well known Company Promises Cheap Downloads

If any of you watch Tech TV and heard about this company’s plain to make it possible to people to share music online legally. Of course there is going to be a fee to be able to do this but it won’t be like ITunes where you buy one song for 99cents.

This company has a plan that I think is worth the money. Sure I would still like to get my music for free and most of you would too, however how this company is setting up this plan is very overwhelming if anything else. The only set back is there won’t be any file sharing, only sharing of music. For music collectors like me this plan does sound interesting.
Their plan is for people to sign up for this service and when they do all of their files are uploaded to this company’s servers and will go though a cycle of being turned back into a wav form, re-equalized, normalized, and then returned back into an MP3 at different Bite Rates that you will have the opportunity to choose from. Kind of sounds to good to be true doesn’t it? They figure within six months they should have every song available for downloading, the first people to sign up and pay their fee will receive a one year subscription after their first year.

Ok, now let’s talk about cost and what you get for your money. The cost per-month is going to cost you 30 bucks, and 260 bucks for a full year, now before you get your underwear in a bunch that is unlimited downloads for 30 days or for a year. Unlimited, and for you people who don’t understand that word, it means that you can download as many songs as you want in that amount of time.

How does this company think it will be legal? It is like this guy said, “that all depends on how many people we can get to sign up”. Now if some of you guys really can do the math right you will find out that if in the first year that they can get even just one million people signed up then there is the money for the stupid RIAA. ITunes buy by the song isn’t doing as well as they thought it would, matter of fact on Tech TV a spokesmen for the company said that their sales have dropped, and that their sales are around 5% of total sales.

I know this sounds crazy and some of you might not believe one bit of it. The company’s is pretty well known and have all their eggs in one basket on this theory and if it works as good as they hope it will work then I say more and more people are going to join from all over the world. You do the math, and this theory might just work. 30 bucks a month? Unlimited downloads? In 30 days I could download a lot of music a whole lot of music and in a year? I could fill a few hard drives.

Maybe this is just for collectors as myself, it surly isn’t for you downloader/burner/deleters

All right, now start yelling a screaming at me. I am ready for it.
CORRUPTERBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-04, 06:04 AM   #2
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I won't yell and scream, it's too early for that.

Welcome to the forum
Old 25-01-04, 09:37 AM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

What's the company? Link?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-04, 11:44 AM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Re: Well known Company Promises Cheap Downloads

Quote:
Originally posted by CORRUPTERBUSTER
Maybe this is just for collectors as myself, it surly isn’t for you downloader/burner/deleters

us d/ler's/burners/deleters are collectors...we just keep the good stuff
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-04, 12:26 PM   #5
CORRUPTERBUSTER
Apprentice Napsterite

Default You know what? Your right

I am sorry really sorry if I made it sound like you was scum of the earth, yes I do agree with you. You are a collector in your own way. I was just making a point that wasn’t totally directed to you. But what you have to admit is, if it wasn’t for us collectors of huge files you guys wouldn’t have anything to download? Is that better? Whatever we are all in this together that is what counts.
Old 25-01-04, 01:02 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Default Re: You know what? Your right

Quote:
Originally posted by CORRUPTERBUSTER
what you have to admit is, if it wasn’t for us collectors of huge files you guys wouldn’t have anything to download?
or vice versa. still, i'm in full agreement with the last line of your post. welcome to nu cb.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-04, 02:37 PM   #7
CORRUPTERBUSTER
Apprentice Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
What's the company? Link?
Company I cannot mention at this time because of rules. Besides, when it comes out everyone will know, I can give you a clue, they have about the best cd ripping program on the market.
Old 25-01-04, 02:48 PM   #8
zombywoof

Last edited by zombywoof : 30-01-04 at 08:31 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-04, 06:36 PM   #9
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I watch TechTV occasionally, I didn't see the presentation you are referring to. If it's been on TechTV, it has been made public. You would think the company involved would want to generate interest in it's name and new product.

Interesting idea, but it has a number of stumbling blocks to overcome.

Unless this company pays the RIAA and friends for licenses, it would be just as "infringing" in the eyes of the RIAA to upload music tracks to the new service as it is to download the same tracks from any current p2p network. If they pay for the licenses, they can get copies of the music in digital format directly from the music companies without needing subscribers to upload the music to them. This would remove the tremendous headache of policing the quality of uploaded tracks. If I subscribed to such a pay service and got poor quality rips, I would be VERY unhappy.

[Devil's Advocate] If I am going to be a part of the RIAA (and other companies) distribution chain, I want to be compensated for this. I have expenses! Internet connection, power consumption, equipment procurement, maintenance, fancy lunches, booze, loose women etc. just like they do. I'll need at least a DS3 internet connection paid for by them so I can upload at a more reasonable rate. DS3's do 45 megabits per second and cost around $20,000.00 per month - that's peanuts to them. I'll need a salary with a broad benefits package. A salary of about 1.5 million dollars per year sounds fair to me, with fully paid medical/dental/vision benefits at my choice of providers. Retirement at 5% per year at age 55 after 5 years. Continuance of fully paid medical/dental/vision care as when employed. Hell, it's less than the value they have already placed on "shared tracks".[/Devil's Advocate]

Most broadband connections (for home use) favor downstream speed over upstream speed. Higher upstream speeds normally mean much higher monthly costs for the connection. For example, my ADSL line is 1.5 megabits downstream, but only 328 kilobits upstream. It would take a very long time to upload my entire MP3 library, at the fastest I can go, about 320 kilobits/second. It would be easier (and cheaper) to send them a hard drive with the stuff on it, or burn the MP3's onto DVD-R disks.

Lots of folks have the same tracks, and the quality of the rips vary considerably. Not everyone rips with care, and sometimes folks do fade-ins, fade-outs, over-normalization and other things that are not always desirable. There are also the instances of tracks taken from alternate takes or sessions. Often, the sound isn't the same as the popular version of the track. Add to that recordings made during live performances. Some like them, some don't. The audio in a live performance is just not the same quality as a studio recording.

It is not technically possible to improve the quality of a rip made at a slower bit rate. Say we have a track ripped at 128k and convert it to .wav, do whatever we want in terms of clean-up and then re-convert it to MP3 at 320k. Since the source track was an MP3 at 128k, the resulting track encoded at 320k will not improve in quality.

Unlimited downloads is a good idea, and I hope such a service becomes successful. Unfortunately, I don't think the music industry is going to allow unlimited access to tunes for about $21.66 per month (when paid by the year). That's less than the price of two average CD's, and less than some premium CD's.

The RIAA's legal and anti-piracy gestapo workforce is big and getting larger by apparent great leaps and bounds. It's got to be putting a crimp in the budget for them. They have become used to those fancy lunches, booze and loose women - so they are probably going to seek additional funding (from music fans of course).

If the music industry was smart they would have embraced the digital age a long time ago. They are suing their customers, and running an antiquated business model into the ground. This proves they are not smart in the business practice area. They have only proved that intense greed exists, and that they are giving artists and their fans the short end of the deal for years. IMO the music industry is using copyright for an illegal, anti-competitive purpose. The bolder and more ridiculous they get, the easier it will be to prove the anti-competitive nature of the business. Once that has been proved they can lose all claim to any copyrights and it all becomes public domain.

Such an idea might work better for older or rare music that the industry doesn't want to mess with. Unfortunately, if it becomes popular with the subscribers, the RIAA will no doubt have renewed interest in it and want their piece of the action.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-04, 06:31 PM   #10
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof
Seems like you could be an employer/employee or have a financial interest of this company since non-employees are not bound to codes of conduct that companies make you sign which you are bound to not releasing proprietary information.
there is just a faint whiff of spam hanging over this thread
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-04, 01:47 AM   #11
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife

its nice lightly fried on a peice of bread ..

scum of the earth..eh?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-04, 12:13 AM   #12
CORRUPTERBUSTER
Apprentice Napsterite

Default Spamming Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife

I have noticed this lot in many forums and that is people’s lack of knowledge of spamming definitions that is why I call these people spamming fanatics. I didn’t see no links or the mention of companies names, There is no such thing as spamming unless it pop ups, or ad’s that is spamming, oh and did you get a email on the product? Spamming, spamming spamming. There I just spammed you enough.