P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 27-03-02, 05:48 PM   #21
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

Finally! got on.. help yourself..
Old 27-03-02, 08:10 PM   #22
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Laugh

Hey Snark - works great with Audiognome too. No problems setting it up at all !!!

I see Ranger and ssj4 in the chat room - also a nice touch Snark!

My sharing name is starkist in case anyone happens to see a strange name popping up on the screen.

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-02, 08:28 PM   #23
JackSpratts

i knew it had to be you gr. i saw a bazillion "cbs"s in starkists' folder today!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-02, 08:37 PM   #24
assorted
WAH!

is there a stable, resource low opennap prog out there i do i still gotta figure out teknap if i wanna serve on a computer i don't supervise?
Old 27-03-02, 08:57 PM   #25
JackSpratts

Here's a quick Step-By for those who need help with the server install.

Download and install WinMx, either v2.6 or v3.0, your choice.
http://www.winmx.com/beta300/ new beta v3.0bx
http://www.winmx.com regular v2.6

Open the client, you should be on the Server page. If not, click Servers in v2.6 or click OpenNap Protocol Networks in v3.0bx.

Place pointer on <OpenNap Protocol High Capacity Networks>. In v2.6 a pop-out line appears on the right. Just right click the line for v3.0bx.

Click “Add”. A grey box opens.

Fill in the box so it looks like the illustration below (v2.6), adding your Screen Name and Password in the appropriate windows. Click OK.

A new line should now read:

[pommie] pommie.dns2go.com:8888 Offline

When your pointer hits the [pommie] line, the pop-out line will reappear in v2.6. (Right click for v3). Click connect.
That's it. It should now start the connection to Snarkriddens' server in England, log you in & load your file info. This can take a minute or so.

Once connected, the next step is to add NU users to your Hotlist so you can browse the folders. You'd normally do that during a transfer but you can eliminate the wait by opening Search and entering “01”. Almost everyone has at least one file with that in it. When the results come in just right click on each new User Name and then click “Add to hotlist” in the drop down box.

You can also place the server under <OpenNap Protocol Low Capacity Networks> in v2.6. Follow the same instructions, just check off "Low capacity OpenNap" instead.

Welcome to the Network.

- js

UPDATE: Details No Longer Relevant. Please PM Host For Current Settings.
Old 28-03-02, 04:26 AM   #26
HAL9000

Thank you Jack! for the detailed setup instructions.

I tested both OpenNap and SlavaNap server both works fine, I found SlavaNap gives more info on current status but needs more resources. Currently it set to 150 users, max 5000shares/user, no limit on browsing.

napsterites.dyndns.org 8888
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-02, 05:35 AM   #27
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
(poor jack lol!) i get dropped everytime i click "browse" - can't scan anyones' folders. and with 10 gigs per user waiting for me (even more actually right now) it's driving me mad, all that tunage and it's just out of reach.
Hi Jack,

I get that a lot, too. Not always, though. I think it always happened with browsing one user's file - can't remember who it was though. I thought it might have to do with my WinMX 3 Beta 5 being buggy, but maybe it's the server...?

Stoepsel
Old 28-03-02, 05:37 AM   #28
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by HAL9000
Thank you Jack! for the detailed setup instructions.

I tested both OpenNap and SlavaNap server both works fine, I found SlavaNap gives more info on current status but needs more resources. Currently it set to 150 users, max 5000shares/user, no limit on browsing.

napsterites.dyndns.org 8888
Hal,

does that server replace pommie.dns2go.com or is it meant as an alternative? Are you all switching over to napsterites.dyndns.org now?

Stoepsel
Old 28-03-02, 08:41 AM   #29
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Feedback?

Interesting to read all your comments folks, thanks JS for taking on the role of connect advisor?

I've left commenting until now, inparticular those questions about running servers, quite simply because I am only running with one candle myself at the moment, when there are a few more on the cake, I may be able to see what to do a little clearer.

Your comment (JS) about zillions of files and can't D/L a browse, is interesting, please do some checks with others on the server will you, see if you can get a complete browse with a number that is equal (or nearly) to the Whois shared figure.

Please do NOT try it from me, a direct browse that is, as it seems to cause a soft crash here, not to me or my WinMx 3.0 but to your connection?

This was reported by another, and found in my remote tests too, however me browsing another user with 500 odd files gave a complete list, yet when I browse my own from the remote port I get bombed out at 89-91 files, and resource indicators show an overload?

I suspect running the DNS2GO client, the OpenNap (DOS based) server, and WinMx 3.0, plus other stuff and the obligatory Memory watcher (4.1) to keep the mem gobbling winMx and Gates monstrosity, in check, are all taking their toll on things.

If anyone can do tests, those with 1000 plus files, see if you can browse each others complete lists, I would value your feedback.

May I suggest you name a dummy song as your_user.MP3 so that we may find you on the server, as whois seems to need to actually have some key to connect to?

This PC is a lowely 233MMX perfectly OK of most things, I just wonder if perhaps I've found its limits?

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-02, 01:59 PM   #30
pod
Bumbling idiot

You guys can find me on the server as pod (of course).
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-02, 03:53 PM   #31
Malk-a-mite

Malk-a-mite online.
Thanks for the server.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-02, 04:17 PM   #32
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

There's two server now. More stuff on the prommie one, and it's faster. We should probebly just use one.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-02, 04:26 PM   #33
HAL9000

napsterites.dyndns.org is an alternative at this time.
I'm checking out Slava and Open.

About Suicide browsing, here’s info in OpenNap manual

client_queue_length
Type: integer
Default: 102400
Sets the maximum number of bytes that can be queued for a client connection. If this threshold is reached, it is assumed that the client is either dead, or the network link can not sustain the level of output, and the server automatically closes down the client connection. This is necessary so that dead clients don't consume all of the servers memory.

max_browse_result
Type: integer
Default: 500
Because of the limit imposed by client_queue_length, the number of files returned by a browse command is limited to this number. If this is too large, clients will be disconnected when they browse a user with many files.
Old 28-03-02, 04:29 PM   #34
HAL9000

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
There's two server now. More stuff on the prommie one, and it's faster. We should probebly just use one.
yeah i'm running MX on same line... upstream at max rate.

edit:spell
Old 28-03-02, 04:58 PM   #35
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

And the search result limit is 100, right?
Old 28-03-02, 05:14 PM   #36
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
And the search result limit is 100, right?
no limit with winmx.

- js.
Old 28-03-02, 05:42 PM   #37
wasabodger

Hi ..thanks for help jack...now on line ok..d/ls are very slow ..settings..bandwidth throttle doesn't seem to make much difference...people getting files from me faster than me d/ling
wasabodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-02, 07:01 PM   #38
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Come to the chat channel, we're getting lonely
Old 28-03-02, 11:09 PM   #39
thinker
Ex-Singular

Connected to both servers. A modest base but some good files out there. I am contributing with my measly 86.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-02, 03:11 AM   #40
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by HAL9000
napsterites.dyndns.org is an alternative at this time.
I'm checking out Slava and Open.
I very much recommend SlavaNap. I'm running it on my work machine (DarkServers network), on an Athlon 1.3/512MB. Can do 2000 local users no problem, and runs just fine with 800 local/7000 network-wide users.

The biggest limit on OpenNap servers is CPU, bandwidth is almost irrelevant, though nice burst speed is welcome. My server uses up about 8-10kb each way. Next up is memory, but it's only an issue with many users. My server uses about 60mb.

Really, on our little server, with less than 10 users, you should not be setting any search result or browsing limits. I have almost 3000 files, they should all be browsable, no need to cap to 100 results or whatever.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote