P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 31-03-02, 05:41 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Some new WinMX info

Apparently the number of users peaks at over 1,000,000. V3 is on the way soon too.

http://www.slyck.com/news/033002a.html
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-02, 05:51 AM   #2
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

is there any spyware or other security issue with winmx?
indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-02, 07:00 AM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
is there any spyware or other security issue with winmx?
indy
No spyware and many more results. I've seen 9,000 compared to 140 tops for Grokster. Of course you do get queued alot.
Old 31-03-02, 04:06 PM   #4
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

I'm using V3 beta now.. Works well, no spyware, but plenty queues!
Old 31-03-02, 04:09 PM   #5
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I've had no luck at all actually getting something from winmx. I'm not impressed so far.
Old 31-03-02, 09:15 PM   #6
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
I've had no luck at all actually getting something from winmx. I'm not impressed so far.
Have you given the Napsterites servers a try yet? Several people getting downloads off of me, I was getting a few from another one or two - only Shani seems to have trouble (she can download OK - nothing Up!)
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-02, 09:49 PM   #7
JackSpratts

when i'm connected, both d/l's & u/l's are fine here.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-02, 02:00 AM   #8
Mowzer
'

I wish I could have gotten that to work. No such luck.

Wanted to burn a cd quick, and need to snake some songs for it first. Tried it out, but no luck. Ended up going back to grokster, and DCC for the movies.

Are there any good guides for it around the net? Anyone able to recommend something that gives good tips? Maybe I will make a second attempt at using it.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-02, 03:37 AM   #9
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethen
I wish I could have gotten that to work. No such luck.

Wanted to burn a cd quick, and need to snake some songs for it first. Tried it out, but no luck. Ended up going back to grokster, and DCC for the movies.

Are there any good guides for it around the net? Anyone able to recommend something that gives good tips? Maybe I will make a second attempt at using it.

The WinMX newsgroup is about it for advice.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en...usic.mp3.winmx
Old 01-04-02, 08:01 AM   #10
Shani
Spagal

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Have you given the Napsterites servers a try yet? Several people getting downloads off of me, I was getting a few from another one or two - only Shani seems to have trouble (she can download OK - nothing Up!)
my uploads are fine when i get into settings > connection settings > Network settings and click "Unable to accept incoming connections (ie- port 0).
but then my downloads dont work. so im told by HAL that i need to get a computer expert dude here who can redirect port 6699 requests to my computer.

as for WinMX im really warming upto it... really reminds me of AudioGnome... i also get alot of queuing but when it works, it really really works.

Last edited by Shani : 01-04-02 at 08:44 AM.
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-02, 08:34 AM   #11
HAL9000

Download doesn't work only if both ends set to port "0". not all downloads.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-02, 09:23 AM   #12
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani

as for WinMX im really warming upto it... really reminds me of AudioGnome... i also get alot of queuing but when it works, it really really works.
I have learned to like WinMX as a sharing tool for a number of reasons. It has good queuing and bandwidth controls that allow you to decide how much and in which way you want to share. Version 2.6 has been stable enough to allow running it for days without problems. And the automatic reconnection feature on OpenNap servers relieves you from watching your online status and reconnecting manually should you drop off from your favorite server.

If you have been only on WPNP so far try OpenNap servers - there's a world of difference between the two. My experience is that there is much more leeching and much less social life on WPNP compared to the OpenNap networks - and with the social life come the 1-to-1 sharing/trading contacts that in the long run are much more valuable than any single downloads. Sharing on WinMX has provided me with a number of great ICQ trading contacts and even better, given me access to luxurious private FTP servers with amazing collections of original high-bitrate rips with scans etc. - pretty much one can wish for...

So my advice is: don't be put off if you hit some long queues when first trying to search for your favorite artist on WinMX... rather keep sharing lots of good stuff for a while, see that your privacy settings (Hotlist | Privacy Level..) allow messages from everybody and sooner or later you will come across people that share your musical interests and are willing to provide you not only what you were looking for but much more...

Most of the above applies to audioGnome as well. It is a good OpenNap client that I have used a lot. It used to have a better user interface than WinMX that was very messy earlier on. Lately WinMX has luckily become tolerable - although far from perfect - in this respect. Unfortunately audioGnome's own serverless network PNN is not as functional and interesting as WinMX's WPNP. Despite the leeches WPNP does have a very large user base (as napho just reported to us, thanks! ) and it is nice to take an occasional 'walk on the wild side' of WPNP - with a bit of luck you can find some rare and interesting stuff there and also establish good new contacts. Note that a good part of WPNP users don't even know how to add OpenNap servers to their WinMX or lack the patience to try to get into the heavily overcrowded OpenNap servers.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-02, 12:02 PM   #13
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows WinMx 3.00 beta 6

could be close, following on from the comments in this forum, I checked the site just now 1800 GMT 1/4/02 and found it locked, could be they are about to upload the new beta, I still get page unavailable error on the normal update page.

Could be worth an occasional look in the next day or so..

Those running the winMx300 beta 5 can click on the bugs comments [click here] which on my screen is dark purple on black? (what a silly choice of colours)

Snark..

(Pommienet pommie.dns2go.com :8888]
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote