P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 24-03-02, 12:22 PM   #1
snowman

Goofy Morpheus V2.0 pool .....

We are fast approaching the April 1st which is supposed to be the roll out date for the new V2.0 version of Morpheus.

I propose we run a pool to see who can guess the real date and its new features. Here are the questions:

1) Date of 1st availability of anything called V2.0 on C-NET? ( between March 27th and April 15th )
2) Will it have any spyware in it?
3) Will it use (a) Gnutella only, (b) Gnutella + proprietary Network or (c) move to completely proprietary Network?
4) Date of the first crack of their CintoA wrapping technology? ( between March 27th and April 15th )
5) Date of the 1st million downloads at C-NET? ( between March 27th and April 15th )

Alternatively, you could guess that nothing will be released and the company will collapse in a heap if you simply cannot pick a realistic answers.

Please format your answers like: date1, yes|no, a|b|c, date, date so we can easily read them.

The person who guesses all five questions the closest gets to be the Morpheus King for a day.
Old 24-03-02, 12:40 PM   #2
JackSpratts

remember this is the company that promised v2 for oct '01

unless they're complete fools they won't release a major new interface and/or new network w/out a beta. since the beta isn't out and it's almost time for v2 i say no way on making the date. be nice to be wrong but i don't think so. in any event i'm not all that thrilled by the direction they've promised to take their client, so whether i'm right or wrong it's mostly irrelevent. they had a once in a lifetime opportunity but they blew it. i've moved on.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-02, 12:58 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
in any event i'm not all that thrilled by the direction they've promised to take their client, so whether i'm right or wrong it's mostly irrelevent. they had a once in a lifetime opportunity but they blew it. i've moved on.
- js.
Ditto on your thoughts, Jack. Music City seemed to have a good grip on what they were doing... they used OpenNap successfully to build a large userbase, then made a bold and successful jump to Kazaa technology and Morpheus, soon to be #1 network and p2p brand, positively committed to free service and no spyware.... and now they have blown whatever they built almost overnight. Too bad for them but probably only positive for the p2p in the bigger picture and in the longer timescale.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-02, 01:23 PM   #4
mole

Morpheus had a change in management several months ago -- that's when things began going south. They seemed to forget that it was the users that made Morpheus # 1. Rumor has it that the old gang might be regrouping for something big...and they have not forgotten the basics, while watching the M demise from the sidelines.
Old 24-03-02, 02:00 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

Too bad for them but probably only positive for the p2p in the bigger picture and in the longer timescale.

- tg
on the money tg!

Quote:
Originally posted by mole
Rumor has it that the old gang might be regrouping...
(my kind of rumor). hi mole and welcome to nu, glad you made it. i trust our association will prove resourceful.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-02, 02:10 PM   #6
snowman

Default no dates?

We could all agree that the current P2P world just does not mix with the basics of our current economy. Something is going to change either P2P or our economy. Probably P2P because it is smaller. P2P with music & movies has not yet reached the disruptive technology stage for sure. 100 million downloads does not equal 100 million regular users by a long shot.

The current M with Gnutella is not the second M though.

A M Win32 C++ client actually existed before the OpenNap deployment with loose links to Napster clones way back in the spring of 2000. Then came OpenNap, then M + FT and then M + Gnutella as a stop gap measure.

Anyway, nobody seems willing to guess a set of dates. I am surprised.

Don't know what mole is refering to though. First I have heard of it although it would amost be expected. There is starting to be quite a few ex MusicCity people sitting around with time on their hands.
Old 24-03-02, 03:28 PM   #7
Crankygirl
s.h.i.t. disturber

In a nut shell........who cares when or if it ever rolls out.
They have left their users high and dry on more than one occasion. It all began with the forum boards being nuked. I am not going to sit around bitching and moaning about their software. It is free afterall - for the moment. With so many choices available for p2p, it's nice to be able to move on to a program that meets your needs. Over the last while Morph wasn't cutting it.
Crankygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-02, 04:10 PM   #8
thinker
Ex-Singular

Actually, I said the hell with MusicCity after they made the jump to Kazaa. In the near future I may be looking into some p2p to use along with WinMX, but I'm sure it won't be anything involving M.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote