P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 18-03-02, 01:36 PM   #1
zombywoof

Default Help : Blubster not connecting with XP ICF active

Anyone know the tcp port number blubster uses and can i set up a rule on my ICF without taking down to run it? Or do i need to assign a tcp port in blubster setup. Or will blubster not work with ICF up, period?..Thx..

Last edited by zombywoof : 18-03-02 at 02:02 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 02:22 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

I think Blubster might not be worth the effort. It has real troubles behind a firewall and there are some issues.

Board Index > Help & Support > Blubster corrupted "wsock32.DLL" ???

< Last Thread Next Thread >
Printable Version
New Topic Post Reply
Author: Subject: Blubster corrupted "wsock32.DLL" ???
edm1820

New Blubzy

posted on 12/23/2001 at 22:17
Not sure if this is a known problem, but I downloaded and ran the latest blubster today and tried it for the first time.

I was downloading about 3 mp3's when my computer froze. When I rebooted and tried to open blubster I got a "could not connect to internet" message. So I tried to run "winipcfg" and received an error message stating that winipcfg could not be opened due to an error in wsock32.DLL.

So I used windows 98 system file checker to restore the file "wsock32.DLL" and was able to run winipcfg and connect to the internet again. But when I tried to open blubster again I got the error again, I lost my connection and couldn't run winipcfg once again.

Anyway, I restored the "wsock32.DLL" file again and this time re-downloaded blubster (deleting the original one). And this time it ran ok. apparently something got corrupted in the other blubster exe that in turn corrupted wsock32.DLL.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

thanks.

Athlon 1.4
256 DDR
Geforce 2 GTS
SBLive
Win 98 SE

edm1820

New Blubzy

posted on 12/23/2001 at 22:25
This happened again. It's seems to happen if I run blubster with out opening Internet Explorer first.

If I resore wsock32.DLL then open IE (before opening blubster) then run the blubster.exe it opens without any problems.

BTW, I'm on a cable connection and no firewall IE 5.5.

UPDATED after further inspection of the "wsock32.DLL" files, Blubster seems to be changing it from the english version to a spanish version (when IE is not yet opened). I assume it doesn't happen with IE opened because that file is in use.

Any of this make any sence to anyone, or why it would do this? I have english selected as my versions language...

[Edited on 23/12/2001 by edm1820]

gob

Blubzy

posted on 12/23/2001 at 22:50
Samething happened to me. Blubster was running and froze and I restarted and internet wouldnt work saying that it couldnt create a newtork socket connection or something so i Phoned tech Supprt I reinstalled my TCP/IP stack and that didnt help, so they tried to get me to run a few things (even to try to ping) and nothin would work cuz it said it was missing that DLL. So i reinstalled windows and that didnt help, so i formatted and after that it worked fine again.

zwaxy

Junior Blubzy

posted on 2/10/2002 at 04:50
This happened to me too, when it hapens it not only changes wsock32.dll but a bunch f other dlls and ocx files in the windwos system directory. This is really strange,

wsock32.dll
stkit432.dll
ssmaxmin.ocx
psbtryicon.ocx
mswinsck.ocx
msinet.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
impulsemp3.ocx
msvbvm60.dll
impulsemp3.dll
ebcrypt.dll

i'm hoping if i restore these files it will fix it... i guess what i wanted to ask is where does blubster store it's information, the scaned files database, there is no blubster directory nor is there a registry entry for blubster, how does it cached the crcs of the mp3 files?

note: i've used blubster on xp and this never happened, it does happen with 98 though...

[Edited on 10/2/2002 by zwaxy]

you -This Mortal Coil

zwaxy

Junior Blubzy

posted on 2/13/2002 at 02:59
note: i fixed my problem by restoring a copy of wsock32.dll only even though it appears something changed all of the previously mentioned files at the same time. now i don't get the wierd missing dll message.

you -This Mortal Coil

swmax

New Blubzy

posted on 2/13/2002 at 06:58
Well im getting a very similiar thing also when I go to download I right click on a song and it puts three of the exact same download in transfers and then it totally locks my system up. And I have to reboot my system also

Cyberhwk

MegaHyperModerator

posted on 2/13/2002 at 10:50
Config>Downloads> Uncheck "Try Downloads From All Hosts"

That's a 4-6-3 double play if you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone.

Pablo

Administrator

posted on 2/14/2002 at 13:00
I am trying to detect what is happening exactly with those DLLs. All those are bundled in the Blubster.exe file, and they will try to virtually load into memory, so that blubster doesn't need to write them in the hard drive...

I am asking to the support staff of the "linker" program I used to do this, it seems that some systems disable virtual dependencies and the loader code tries to write the DLLs.

pappa

New Blubzy

posted on 2/21/2002 at 01:00
thanks, you saved me alot of reinstalling, i also had the spanish wsock32,strange

New Topic Post Reply
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 02:40 PM   #3
zombywoof

Thanks for the heads-up on this app, napho. I will keep an eye out for connectivity problems. I wanted to check this app out and see if it's any good. Just seems like a pain in the ass to pull down the ICF when I use other p2p apps that run fine with it up, or i can insert a rule to allow connectivity. Although i'll probably uninstall this at the first sign of connectivity tbls or bad dll's.
Old 18-03-02, 02:48 PM   #4
Bronxie
Culo!

Angry

Pfft blubster suxxxx
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 03:05 PM   #5
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I always liked it. But after reading these horror stories, I'm afraid to even try opening it.
Old 18-03-02, 03:07 PM   #6
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronxie
Pfft blubster suxxxx
Now, there we have it.. A satisfied user...ahahahahahahahaha
A ringing endorsement for blubster from da bronx..
Here's a Bronx Cheer for the Blubster

Last edited by zombywoof : 18-03-02 at 04:31 PM.
Old 18-03-02, 07:06 PM   #7
JackSpratts

i wasn't thrilled initially with the release of the program because it was another proprietary network and my feelings are they dilute the community by forcing users into ever smaller groups that can't share with each other.

i found the program to work well in win/me however and can report no experience of the problems described above. pablo the creator of blubster is said to be near his long expected update, delayed often i assume because he creates them all by himself.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 10:58 PM   #8
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Crazy re Blubster..

..since I have recommended Blubster here , and have great expectations for the program(its wonderful and fast!) , I feel the need to help you guys!
I run Blubster at home on a P3win98se , and at work - on a network using XP.
For both( in the program) - go to CONNECTIONS...DOWNLOADS tab...uncheck box : Try downloads from all hosts. That will stop the freezing problem!

There are some issues with configuring or turning off the XP firewall - go to the Blubster forum to solve this problem..too many variations,see what best describes your situation. Blubster is actually an executable file - instead of a program.

..and with zonealarm.... If you are using zonealarm, it will cause problems because of UDP protocol.

I suggest getting Sygate Personal Firewall instead. It is MUCH better, easier to use and also free ( from Norton)

If all else fails , try a delete and clean install.

Blubster is getting a lot of attention and is in the top 20 downloads at c.net. Once you get on it you will see why.
Old 18-03-02, 11:06 PM   #9
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Say Wha? hey wait a minute.....

...I just noticed the DATES on the above pasted posts from the Blubster board -- November and December 2001..
... The program just came out then - early November.... and the swarming /freezing problem has been long solved - with the fix I recommended , and by Pablo.
... Old news...sheesh. ... Don't be afraid to use this program, based on responses when the program was a few weeks old.
... Try it now - with an open mind..... It will put the joy back in filesharing for you.

Napho..instead of thinking and guessing that Blubster might not be worth the trouble, download it , grab a few songs, and come back here and tell us about your reaction to it. I daresay you will be smiling and full of recant!
Old 19-03-02, 02:38 PM   #10
zombywoof

Well, since I didn't have any other problems with blubster, I'll probably just pull down ICF if I need to use it. I won't really change using a firewall app or any other app for that matter just to accomodate one program. I suppose since it runs UDP protocol, there are issues with firewalls. It does have a pretty good size database though.