P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-03-02, 03:29 AM   #1
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Screwy Grokster ATE my downloads!!!

Travails of a former Morpheus FT user...

Started out with Morpheus FT & RefoSearch, everything great ... until the Sharman/MusicCity bust-up and they both stopped working.

Then tried installing Grokster, but install failed.

Then installed Kazaa, old Morph d/l's successfully resumed, everything great until I found out about all the (self-reinstalling) spyware

Then tried hacking Morhpeus FT (as opposed to "Gnorphleus"), first by changing 4th byte of network config, then by installing Indy's reg zip. Both ways, still got 'too old' message and still wouldn't connect

Then re-tried Grokster, installed OK spyware-free as per instructions from project Amnesia, moved Morph/Kazaa .dats to My Grokster folder, and old d/l's resumed, everything OK ... UNTIL I tried to listen to/watch the completed d/l's.... they were GONE!!! Looked in My Grok, used Find (Win98) and searched for every MP3 and AVI, checked them all, no luck. Files shown as 'completed' in my Traffic window were completely gone, and so were their .dats. This was both for all migrated Morph/Kazaa completed d/l's, and some fresh Grok completed d/'s.

Then installed KazaaLite (spyware-free). Fresh d/l's work great ... but M/K/G .dats, now moved to KL's My Kazaa folder are not being resumed

Does anyone know why Grokster ate my downloads?
Does anyone know how to get KazaaLite to resume my previous M/K/G downloads?
Does anyone know if these problems involve .dbb files? (I don't really know what to do with those)
Does anyone know who I have to sleep with to connect to Morpheus FT?

Please excuse long post.
Any help appreciated
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 04:11 AM   #2
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

the .dat files contain the absolute target path name i.e. if you downloaded with morpheus to something like

c:\programs\morpheus\My shared folder

this path is stored in the dat.

you now moved them to My Grokster - Grokster finished them and now its wants to copy them to the old My shared Folder - they are either there now, or if you have removed this folder, they still are .dat and wait for being copied.

maybe it works, if you create the old path of My shared folder and restart Grokster - maybe Grokster detects that and now copies the .dat to their final destiny.

thats my theory - any comments are welcome
indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 08:10 AM   #3
JackSpratts

hey twinspan, welcome to the board! if anyone can straighten this out it'll be someone from nu. hope you enjoy the place.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 02:35 PM   #4
twinspan
- a rascal -

Thanks for the tip, Indy.

I've separated my .dats in My Grok, leaving "download#####" dats there, and putting "kazaadownload######" dats into a recreated c\progs\morph\myshared folder.

(Am I right that the dats called "kazaadownload####" are the unfinished Morph FT ones?)

Right now, I want to let Grok run for a while and d/l a few files to make sure that 'desaparecidos' files were only old morph ones. And see if maybe some reappear. Then I'll reinstall Morph and let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks for the welcome, Jack. I've been checking in on NU since I first installed Morpheus in January, and it's been a great resource.
Old 14-03-02, 04:06 PM   #5
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

yes - the kazaadownloads are the old morpheus .dat

grokster also handles the kazaadownloads - i think you do not have to reinstall morpheus (btw. it probably will not work) - leave the kazaadownloads in MyGrokster - grokster just needed an existing folder with the old pathname to copy the finished files to - which you have created now.

indy

sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

Old 14-03-02, 05:05 PM   #6
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
yes - the kazaadownloads are the old morpheus .dat

grokster also handles the kazaadownloads - i think you do not have to reinstall morpheus (btw. it probably will not work) - leave the kazaadownloads in MyGrokster - grokster just needed an existing folder with the old pathname to copy the finished files to - which you have created now.

indy
I meant to add my comments on this earlier but ended up back in bed with a half-finished post sitting on my monitor...

Since my first installation of Morpheus, and due to several reinstallation’s in different locations
(Installed XP twice, New hard drive added, installing Grokster, iMesh etc. etc.) and after acquiring various startfiles, I have several download folders on my system.

C:\Museekster

C:\Program Files\Morpheus\My Shared Folder

C:\StartfileDownload

C:\Startfiles

D:\Program Files\Grokster\My Grokster (never used)

D:\Program Files\Morpheus\My Shared Folder (never used)

D:\My Music - Shared (current default)

I found out back in the Morpheus days that by adding kazaa to the new download.dat files some of the startfiles had that Morph would see them. Like indy said the newer 1.5 clients (including iMesh) can handle either type.

indy - what do you mean "btw. it probably will not work". I got mine going again and actually get a download now and then.
And early this morning I saw a user@MusicCity - usually they just say user@???
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 05:17 PM   #7
indiana_jones

mine morph 1.3.3 doesnt connect anymore - maybe i need a new recent "ConnectionInfo" - if you can post it here - i will try again.

i really have no explanation for the @Musiccity

indy

Old 14-03-02, 06:21 PM   #8
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Current network_config

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
mine morph 1.3.3 doesnt connect anymore - maybe i need a new recent "ConnectionInfo" - if you can post it here - i will try again.

i really have no explanation for the @Musiccity

indy
Here you go - This config is working as I post this.

network_config.reg
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 05:26 AM   #9
twinspan
- a rascal -

Nut keeps getting weirder....

well, been running Grok for a while now ("download####" dats only); most of them are 'more sources needed' or 'remotely queued'.

But some have successfully completed. AND they are actually present on my computer, not desaparecidos, which is nice.... However, My Grokster window is double-listing newly-completed MP3's (i.e. one song d/l'ed, one copy of it on my drive, but two listings of it in My Grok).

Double-clicking either listing plays the song, editing details only works for one listing, deleting one listing deletes that listing AND the file, but leaves the other listing intact; unless the file is playing, then only the selected listing disappears, leaving file and other listing intact. (I backed up the files in a different folder first.)

This is happening for both resumed and freshly-sought MP3's, but not with AVIs, which have d/l'ed OK and work fine, and have only 1 listing. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Re Grok recognising "kazaadownload###" dats, my issue is not that Grok has any probs resuming them (it doesn't), but that once they are completed, I can't find them anywhere: not the completed file, nor the dat. That's why I'd like to try resuming them in Morph or KazaaLite. The full Kazaa (with all the spyware) recognised them, but Kazaa lite doesn't.

I'll re-install MorphFT later today and try the new reg and see if I can connect, then post any news (probably tomorrow).
Old 17-03-02, 03:50 AM   #10
twinspan
- a rascal -

Big Laugh Success!!!

Re-creating c\rograms\morhpeus\my shared folder has worked! Not only have my disappeared Morpheus d/l's reappeared, so have my disappeared Grok d/l's!

The completed files were nowhere to be found before, so they must have been stored in some other format in some other folder during their 'disappearance' (as the dats were no longer in My Grok shared folder).

Thanks for the help, Indy.

BTW I'm still getting d/l'ed MP3s being double listed in My Grokster window. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 17-03-02, 06:53 AM   #11
indiana_jones

fine that it worked
the "My Grokster" folder is shared by default.
could it be, that this folder is a subtree of a folder, you have shared additionally - thus doubling the sharing of "My Grokster"

indy