P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-07-01, 02:01 PM   #1
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

Lightbulb Help 4 the Technically challenged!

O.K.
Here is my delimma, I need to learn something, and I want some advice about the best place to start.

I have never created a website, and I very much need to learn how.
I think I have a couple good hosts lined up, but both require ftp and possibly web editing programs.

At work, My Boss has purchased a domain name, and in a couple of months I am supposed to help him pick out a computer...
I will likley be creating files like recipies and other mundane stuff for him. But I get the sinking feeling that he wants me to create a web page for the resturant as well.

I thought It would be best if I got a little experience creating one for myself first.
SO Here I am asking for

Where Do I start?........Should I look for a copy of frontpage? Or should I start learning HTML......and if so, where is a good place to start?---Should I buy a book?....Is there a good instructional site online?
Should I mess around with an evaluation version of CuteFTP or is there a good free FTP client available?
Cash-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-01, 03:41 PM   #2
relic
gone for good

Default here's a brief start of how I started...

When I started making webpages...I simply got the 'HTML Goodies' book by Joe Burns. Simply said that is THE BEST book to start off with. It not only covers simple stuff but also some more complex issues. The html goodies site is http://www.htmlgoodies.com

I also tried to learn and memorize as many html tags as I could so then I would be able to find problems in my site easier. I created all my webpages in notepad, just because it doesn't have all the bells and whisltes of other webpage building programs.

If I HAD to choose a html program I would suggest 1st Page, which can be downloaded here ---> http://matrim.com/download/

And also I use WSFTP which can be downloaded here ---> http://matrim.com/download/

Good luck on your endevours man hehe
relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-01, 04:12 PM   #3
Malk-a-mite

The biggest suggestion I can offer is learn HTML.

Even if later you go on to use WYSIWYG editors (what you see is what you get) - you will be ablet o then look at the HTML those programs spit out and be able to find problems and places to trim the code.

Front Page does things to it's code that cause problems in browers other than IE - that's a common problem with any editor.

Learn the basics first. I agree that http://www.htmlgoodies.com is a great site for some simple lessons on putting a site together. If you concerned about learning HTML check it out first.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-01, 05:38 PM   #4
nanook
just one of the gang...

Cash,

i would agree, learn the html first. i did. i just found a bunch of sites (although the others have listed a good one), and went at it, learning all my lonesome.

"u can do it" (bayou, louisiana accent, hence, the WaterBoy)

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-01, 08:06 PM   #5
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

Thanks 4 the advice!!

I will return and let ya know how it goes....First I have to return a bottle of corked wine...then I'll check out the sites!
Old 23-07-01, 09:12 PM   #6
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

The sites looked very informative...

Read forrest....Read!!!
Old 23-07-01, 10:26 PM   #7
Mazer

Once you get the basics down and you think you can make a pretty good looking web site I'd suggest you take a look at www.webpagesthatsuck.com "Where you learn good Web design by looking at bad Web design." If you do end up having to make a webpage for your boss you'll want it to look professional and this guy has a lot of good tips.
Old 23-07-01, 10:29 PM   #8
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

Thanks brotha!!
Old 24-07-01, 08:40 AM   #9
eclectica

Here's another html link:
http://www.cwru.edu/help/introHTML/toc.html

Another thing you can do is look at the html source of various webpages. In Internet Explorer, this is done by going to view-source.