P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 31-08-06, 02:37 PM   #1
pisser
Guv

Skull Iran wants to pick a fight with Uncle Sam

they should know we'll give um a bloody nose!

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Despite the threat of economic sanctions, Iran has not made any move to suspend uranium enrichment activities or comply with U.N. demands to verify its nuclear program is peaceful, according to a U.N. report issued Thursday.

U.N. ambassadors are looking over the report from International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Mohammed ElBaradei, released on the deadline set by the Security Council for Iran to halt all of its nuclear activities or face economic sanctions.

"The report makes clear that not only has Iran not suspended uranium enrichment activities as required by [U.N.] Resolution 1696, it's accelerated," U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton told reporters.

"The report, short and to the point, concludes that after all these years of trying, the IAEA is still unable to confirm the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program," Bolton said.

"Now, in the language of the IAEA and the international system, that's a red flag," he continued. "There's simply no explanation for the range of behavior which we've seen over the years, other than that they're pursuing a weapons capability."

Iran has left little doubt it will defy the West and continue its nuclear program.
"They should know that the Iranian nation will not yield to pressure and will not let its rights be trampled on," Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told a crowd Thursday in a televised speech in the northwestern Iranian city of Orumiyeh.

In front of his strongest supporters in one of his provincial power bases, the Iranian leader attacked what he called "intimidation" by the United Nations, which he said was led by the United States.

President Bush insisted Thursday that "there must be consequences" for Iran's defiance of demands that it stop enriching uranium. He said "the world now faces a grave threat from the radical regime in Iran."

"We must not allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon," Bush told the American Legion's national convention.

The rest at:
CNN
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-06, 02:45 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

you feel pretty strong about it, huh?

i'm sure the military will let you re-enlist to help give them that bloody nose - why don't give your local recruiter a call?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-06, 03:01 PM   #3
pisser
Guv

Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
you feel pretty strong about it, huh?

i'm sure the military will let you re-enlist to give them that bloody nose - why don't give your local recruiter a call?
Once again: I've done my time, have you?

Why is it always, "You should join if you feel stongly about it"?

Tell you what, I'll push the button to launch a thermonuke ballistic missle at Tehran, you just tell me when and where, I'll be there, K?

Would that satisfy you?
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-06, 03:21 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser

Why is it always, "You should join if you feel stongly about it"?

Tell you what, I'll push the button to launch a thermonuke ballistic missle at Tehran, you just tell me when and where, I'll be there, K?

Would that satisfy you?
actually, i tried when i was about 20 - they wouldn't take me coz i had a DUI on my record. i understand they've lowered their standards considerably since then.

but anyone who feels strongly that millitary action is needed, and is of an age fit to fight, should be willing to join. to assert that it's a fight worth fighting only as long as someone else does the fighting is a bit hypocritical, no? but they have units now for those people, too:
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-06, 03:25 PM   #5
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser
You spewed the same bull on another thread, asked when and where did you serve. You never replied.

Your so called "time" are you sure you did it in the army?
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-06, 04:17 AM   #6
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver
are you sure you did it in the army?
Of course he did.
How could you doubt such a kind giving man?
Old 01-09-06, 04:18 PM   #7
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

It’s really pretty simple.

Iran says they want nuclear fuel for production of electric power.

Iran has oil. Therefor, Iran has natural gas - lots of it. The Persian Gulf area (which includes Iran) has approximately 45% of the world’s known reserves of natural gas - approximately 2,462 trillion cubic feet. ( http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/pgulf.html )

As in enough natural gas to produce all the electric power all of Iran could ever need or want. Compared to nuclear generating plants, natural gas plants are cheaper to build, operate, and maintain.

Even though the U.S. has far less reserves of natural gas than the Persian Gulf area, natural gas ranks third as a fuel for generating electric power. Coal is first (2,005,085 thousand megawatt hours), followed by nuclear (789,023 thousand megawatt hours), and then natural gas (759,075 thousand megawatt hours). Numbers are for 2006, a rolling 12 month period ending in May. ( http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri.../table1_1.html )

Note that the U.S. derives only 4% less power from natural gas than from nuclear power plants.

Therefor, Iran does not need nuclear powered generating plants in order to meet electrical power needs.

Iran has been offered incentives to abandon uranium enrichment that included nuclear power generation - but they refused it.

Therefor, Iran most likely does not seek production of fissile nuclear fuel for power plants, they seek fissile nuclear material to build nuclear weapons. It’s glaringly obvious. Iran is lying about its intentions regarding use of nuclear technology.

Presumably, the first place Iran would use nuclear weapons is Israel, and the second place Iran would use nuclear weapons is the United States, providing they can figure out how to get a bomb there.

The only reason certain countries have problems with sanctions against Iran for nuclear naughtiness is that these countries have been engaging in sales of weapons and nuclear technology to Iran.

Would you bet your life on a presumed certainty that Iran could never detonate a nuclear weapon in the U.S.? You are free to bet your own life, but you are not free to bet mine.

Playing political football with an issue (obviously) this dire is colossally irresponsible.

Bottom line is that the U.S. will not permit a radical country like Iran to acquire nuclear weapons.

As for my military service, I duly served eligibility for the draft during the Vietnam era, but was never called. I later got a job (as a civilian) working at Naval Air Station, Alameda, California reworking sparrow missile target seeker units. That military base was closed years ago.

If the military would accept me I would enlist. I’m too old (52) and have medical issues.

I have also given volunteer service as an emergency preparedness and disaster service worker for 30 years. My registration as a disaster service worker is still active.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote