P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-06-02, 10:21 PM   #1
Mowzer
'

Exclamation DoS Attacks against all RIAA holdings will begin next week...

From slashdot...

"Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) wants to legalize DoS attacks on P2P networks such as Kazaa and Morpheus by "copyright holders". The Washington Post reports on his proposed legislation here. Berman's bill, to be introduced in the next several weeks, would attempt to minimize the illegal trading of copyrighted songs and other content on "peer-to-peer" (P2P) networks by permitting copyright holders to use technology against pirates. As can be expected, the RIAA is in favor of the proposed legislation."

You thought the title of this thread sounds weird? Whats weirder is the RIAA hopes do be able to do the same to p2p networks.

see full story... /.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 10:51 PM   #2
StereoDeluxe

funny they see "DoS = Technology" lol.
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 11:33 PM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Do they have any idea what kind of strain that would put on the internet backbone? Most DoS attacks are launched by a few hundred client machines, but the RIAA funded attacks could be server based, attacking more than a dozen p2p networks at once. That has a real possibility of slowing down the entire internet. (Tell me if I'm just being paranoid.)

What if Bill Gates said he wanted to do the same thing? He would be crucified, yet when a politician proposes legal DoS attacks people actually take him seriously. What a world we live in.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-02, 02:31 AM   #4
Merijn

I don't think this will get through.
Remember a few weeks ago when the RIAA wanted the right to 'hack' your computer, to see if you have any copyrighted material on your system?

It seems these days the RIAA considers _everyone_ a music pirate, and totally forgets about those that actually have a right to rip MP3s because they own bought the CD.
Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-02, 02:37 AM   #5
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

and the instant one of these attacks touches (or even routes thru) a computer outside the jurisdiction of the United States, the taxpayers of America will be footing a huge legal and settlement bill.

Smart thinking, Mr. Berman! Keep this up, and every router, server and connected PC in the world will simply IP block anything in the United States. And the World Wide Web will be a much smaller place for your citizens. Kinda of like the 'walled garden' approach to the internet used by Communist China or AOL, only imposed from outside coz of your constant f#ckwittedness.

The Internet views the United States as damage and routes around it.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-02, 03:03 AM   #6
napho
Dawn's private genie

I've always been amazed that the RIAA and MPAA haven't just attempted to crash all the P2Ps and IRC. If 3 digit searches wreak havoc with many programs billions of searches could take them all down.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-02, 05:48 AM   #7
labourinvein
New Kid on the Block

Exclamation Pardon me but....

Quote:
Originally posted by StereoDeluxe
funny they see "DoS = Technology" lol.
DOS= Disk Operating System

DoS= Denial Of Service

I hope I got this right?

I see a large (very large) host file looming.... Does anyone know if a specific country can lay claim to a particular block of IP numbers?

Like the first three 68.xx.xx.xx for example?

Guss..
labourinvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-02, 10:42 AM   #8
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Why should they be able to DoS attack people when we're not supposed to? If this is legalized, I think us P2Pers will DoS attack them. And this sounds like it will be a nightmare for the internet.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote