P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-06-02, 09:05 AM   #1
schnert

Angry kazaa too slow

anyone know if kazaa is still working? have had ten downloads downloading for the past week (24 hrs by cable) not one has even moved. is it them or me?
Old 22-06-02, 09:29 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

It's still working here. I hope you're using KaZaaLite though. Are you using the speedup.exe? That helps. Also you can try Clean iMesh and make the download folder Kazaa Shared. Then you can resume your dls in iMesh.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 10:37 AM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
It's still working here. I hope you're using KaZaaLite though. Are you using the speedup.exe? That helps. Also you can try Clean iMesh and make the download folder Kazaa Shared. Then you can resume your dls in iMesh.
Napho i have not heard of this:

speedup.exe

what is it? and where can i get it?

to me the only news worth hearing about is kazaa news..all other news is inconsequential.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 11:03 AM   #4
greedy_lars
everything you do

still using kazaa light, and it works great. fast downloads, lots of hits.

current most downloaded file...

Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen - Everybodys Doin It

hahahhhahhahahahahhah

that song still cracks me up

"everybodys dancing, truckin, everybodys swinging and f------, truckin, f------, everybodys doin it now"
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 12:02 PM   #5
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

hi schnert, the FastTrack network (used by Kazaa, KazaaLite, Grokster & sometimes iMesh) is working fine for me. Plenty of downloads completing (altho a few rare ones are saying 'more sources needed').

hi napho, re speedup.exe, is that related to MorpheusX / FastTrack Accelerator, or is it something completely different?

do i need it if I've already got FTA?

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 12:03 PM   #6
JackSpratts

hi schnert and welcome to nu. i hope you find the advice helpful and entertaining and you enjoy the board.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 02:22 PM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

[quote]Originally posted by Harbynger
[b]

Napho i have not heard of this:

speedup.exe

what is it? and where can i get it?

It's included with KaZaaLite and goes by other names. It constantly searches for more sources for your download.

http://www.netsetup.nl/marcel/fta/

Because it's open source anyone can make improvements and call it anything they want.

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 03:02 PM   #8
AYB

They're all based on the MorpheusX (http://go.to/MorpheusX) source code which I released when I stopped working on the project.
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-02, 04:55 PM   #9
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

muhaaaa

Quote:
Originally posted by AYB
They're all based on the MorpheusX (http://go.to/MorpheusX) source code which I released when I stopped working on the project.
a likely story just kidding AYB i know/knew you were behind

the original innovation of these 'cloned softwares' that was just an unfamiliar name to me as i use Merijn's version

of kazaa and not kazaalite however i see nothing

wrong with using kazaa lite but i do see a great deal wrong

with people using your source code and not giving you credit

for it.

Remember i knew you from way-back-when and you were

using a different handle on the Kboard and so was i and if

i remember correctly you weren't treated so well there by the

ignorant and uneducated masses...nice to see you finally getting

some much deserved accolades here on the napsterites...

and i have every confidence in you and your partner's abilities

to bring us the next great thing in P2P.

keep up the Good work , 'AYB'

and thanks, Napho for the clarification i am starting to

emulate the knife in that i now wait to see whatever new

things you've tried and come up with posting about your

experiences here on the Napsterites.net.

Love the suggestion for Tiny personall firewall with sandbox.

Cheerios and Nut'n'honey,

-harbynger
Old 22-06-02, 05:08 PM   #10
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Honestly
Old 22-06-02, 05:20 PM   #11
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Honestly
what was that all about?

if you have some personal grievance with me, Dawn please

take it up in a more appropriate area such as hyperspace.

thank-you,

-harbynger
Old 22-06-02, 09:56 PM   #12
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Default Speedup.exe: It's a No Go here

I stopped using speedup.exe altogether. I'm using an ADSL line and serving as a supernode. When I installed KL 1.7.1 I had 3 downloads going averaging 200 Kbs between them. After starting speedup.exe the speed was cut in half across the board. It wasn't the initial drop to start the search, it kept the speed down for more than 5 mins. When I stopped speedup.exe the downloads went up again to normal speed (roughly doubling it).

I tried several times, with different settings, and for about three days, and always the result was the same: the download speed went down and the cpu usage trhough the roof.

I now try "find more sources..." manually every 10 minutes or so, and just highlighting one download will refresh the search for "more sources" for ALL downloads. I don't know why just one refresh all but it happens time after time.

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb. Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone, and I suspect that bandwith clogged with millions of frenetic requests for "more sources" have something to do with it.

So those of you having no problems count your blessings, but someone whith dial-up and really sorry download speeds should consider turning speedup.exe off and see what happens.

Too much of a good thing can be bad. Or may be judicious & balanced use can't go hand to hand with the intrinsic nature of file sharing.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 07:14 AM   #13
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default Re: Speedup.exe: It's a No Go here

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn
I stopped using speedup.exe altogether. I'm using an ADSL line and serving as a supernode. When I installed KL 1.7.1 I had 3 downloads going averaging 200 Kbs between them. After starting speedup.exe the speed was cut in half across the board. It wasn't the initial drop to start the search, it kept the speed down for more than 5 mins. When I stopped speedup.exe the downloads went up again to normal speed (roughly doubling it).

I tried several times, with different settings, and for about three days, and always the result was the same: the download speed went down and the cpu usage trhough the roof.

I now try "find more sources..." manually every 10 minutes or so, and just highlighting one download will refresh the search for "more sources" for ALL downloads. I don't know why just one refresh all but it happens time after time.

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb. Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone, and I suspect that bandwith clogged with millions of frenetic requests for "more sources" have something to do with it.

So those of you having no problems count your blessings, but someone whith dial-up and really sorry download speeds should consider turning speedup.exe off and see what happens.

Too much of a good thing can be bad. Or may be judicious & balanced use can't go hand to hand with the intrinsic nature of file sharing.
a very excellent post spstn. thanks for sharing your results with the speedup.exe

as for

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb. Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone, and I suspect that bandwith clogged with millions of frenetic requests for "more sources" have something to do with it

i think it was 'wanker' who originally brought up the notion that unlimited searching might bogg down the network and is the reason it kazaa hasn't implemented it.

i think this is a valid assertion by 'both gentlemen' spstn and 'wanker' but still its a hypothesis (educated guess) so it has to remain classified as a 'theory' as it's yet unproven just like

the 'theory of evolution' is still a theory even though its widely accepted by many as fact doesn't necessarily make it so. but i think its safe to say that this might be the case with what you are experiencing spstn.

as for Another difference I noticed is that before I could download from people from Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand & France to name a few places. Now that's long gone

i don't know enough about the network to fully understand how it works....so i can't comment other than to say i'm guessing that 'supernodes' (the computers making the search requests) are limited to certain geographical areas now....i guess this is for speed? but maybe it isn't working out quite like planned?

After starting speedup.exe the speed was cut in half across the board. It wasn't the initial drop to start the search, it kept the speed down for more than 5 mins. When I stopped speedup.exe the downloads went up again to normal speed (roughly doubling it).

that does not bode well...maybe some of your bandwidth was being allocated for constantly searching or querying the network and it detracted from the bandwidth allocated for your uploads/downloads? in this case i would say its not worth using it and to not use it.

personally for myself i no longer use such tools as kazaa (latest versions) seem to handle the search requests much more efficiently than in the past when programs like this were needed.

someone mentioned something about how the edonkey-bot almost killed the network? perhaps a once great innovation has outlived is usefulness now to the network (sorry AYB)

But the worse off is people uploading from me. Before these speed tools became popular uploads speeds between 5-15 Kb were the norm. Now 1-2 Kb is the norm and every blue moon I see someone getting over 5 Kb.

its possible you may have a influx of dialup users connecting to you as there are many who use the fasttrack network....its an understandable frustration for broadband users however i've found there to be much value and virtue in patience....especially if you are looking for something rare and someone with lowbandwidth or several 'someones with low bandwidth have it'

if you are patient and can handle the less than 5kbs download speeds you will eventually get it if you don't let the low speed throw you off..but remember this is purely p2p now and your dowload speeds are affected by the upload speed of the person's bandwidth that you connect to.

I'm sorry you don't always get phenomenal results from the download side of it...but please don't feel like you are not helping the network by allowing uploads to the lower bandwidth people...there are a lot of good people with poor connections...but its understandable you want to distribute content to the higher bandwidth folks first as it seems to get the content out on the network faster. admirable.

Finally, this:

I'm using an ADSL line and serving as a supernode.

is the most important part of your post to me...

Spstn....what have you noticed while functioning as a supernode?

i've heard that while functioning as a supernode that some sort

of index files from all the computers that are connected to you

on your 'node' (network....part of the LAN or WAN) that contain

a list of the files the computers that are connected to you (as

you function in the capacity of a supernode) are sharing and also

their search requests.

Have you noticed any such file indexes on your computer

and if so what format do they take? are they in .dat format or

do they have a different extension?

and also you said you are functioning as a supernode...how

do you know you are really doing this? or are you taking it

on blind faith that you are by merely clicking the check box or

not clicking the checkbox for 'do not function as a supernode'.

what i'm asking is are you assuming yourself a supernode because you have a fast connection and did not click to not function as one?

or can you really tell some difference...such as a set of file indexes being uploaded toyour computer which from what i've read on both the fasttrack and kazaa sites is supposed to happen if you are functioning as a true supernode but i've

personally not seen this after having finally figured out how the

network works...i lost my broadband so i do not get to test this

for myself as i am dialup so anything you can offer me would

be helpful in helping me to understand more about the much

misaligned and understood value of being a 'supernode'

Thanks, my apologies for the length of this reply.

-Harbynger

Old 23-06-02, 10:25 AM   #14
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Well spstn, I suggest that you ignore Harbynger's paranoid ramblings above and you visit the site for FastTrack Accelerator posted by napho previously. Download the latest version (KLite uses 1.1.2, which is at least 2 versions behind) & enable the option to 'clear uploaded and erroneous.' It'll fix your problem for sure! This is an issue with Kazaa and therefore KazaaLite BTW, not FTA. Read the forums on that site for more details.

The problem is that if your upload traffic view is filled with aborts/completed etc. (which is common if you're an always-on uploader) Kazaa slows down your pc & downloads. It has nothing to do with being a supernode. The latest releases of FTA were designed to overcome this limitation. This has been discussed in the forums as I mentioned above.

This should be helpful, I hope.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 11:39 AM   #15
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Use Imesh. Just woundering, does anyone know if imesh can actually become a supernode?
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 10:39 PM   #16
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

GrinYes Still a No Go (...and happy go lucky...)

To SA_Dave:
Thank you for your recommendations. My posting was more of a "be careful" to others than an asking for help. Without speedup.exe my downloads are as fast as ever, rarely I lose a dld. in progress for lack of sources, and there's no other downside associated with the lack thereof.

Acting as a supernode can never be a problem if you get a real 90 % of the nominal throughput as I get as an average.

I used morpheusX, the clone that came with KL 1.60 & the last incarnation with 1.7.1. With small variations the download speeds went down and CPU usage up. I tried with only one slot for uploads, and cleaning up "completed", "aborted", etc. Even with all queues pristine clear the result was the same. The only improvement, and quite noticeable, came at the expense of quitting the speed tool each & every time.

And I point out to you again, that every time I highlite a dld. & press for "...more sources..." the program find more sources for ALL downloads. The reason for this is unbeknownst to me but I'm quite happy nonetheless.

I must confess that I tried the speed tools because of greed. I guess I'm cured now.

And don't despair about Harby paranoia: healthy paranoia brought us the truth about Watergate and Elvis being still alive .

To ssj4_android:
Thanks for the advice. I used Kl as a backup for AG. I guess I'm screwed Now. However Imesh is too quirk & idiosyncratic for my peace of mind.

To Harbynger:
Thanks for the "paranoia" (lol)

I guess if Einstein & Darwin had been fast friends, the theory of evolution would be enjoying more unquestioned acceptance across the board .

When you start a program & dld. speed is cut in half, & you quit it & speed goes back to normal, & you do it over 20 times, you are in front of a very solid empirical fact. You may not know the innards of why it happens, but still remains an undisputable fact.

It wasn't my intention to deride 56 k'rs. Quite the contrary, they are the majority in the net, I support everyone uploading no matter the speed, & I was just trying to show respectful sympathy for the situation they were in (That's why I carefully used the expression "worse off").

The only objective proof I've had of being a real supernode is the number of sources I was able to get, between a 50-100 % more sources with versions up to 1.60. I reached this conclusion by trying the same search switching between being a supernode or not.
With vs. 1.7.1 the max number of sources I've got was 480.

So you want to know about those almost mythical index files. I remember looking at the GoBack log & seeing KL creating files in Win/Temp & WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ (any of the 4 cryptic named folders that hide the IE index.dat).

I never investigated the files because most of them are deleted at the end of the KL session (Although I could always retrieve them off the GoBack bin).

So you could look for them in there, although I suspect that KL may very well try to embed it inside index.dat in which case I wish good luck because index.dat is a tough nut to crack open .

Ps.: Could it be hidden disguised as a dummy download.dat in the download folder?

Last edited by spstn : 24-06-02 at 11:02 PM.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-02, 11:46 PM   #17
JackSpratts

if you're interested to see if your pc is acting as supernode with any particular filesharing app, whether it's gnucleus, winmx, fasttrack or anything else, just connect to the network, exit all other bandwidth using applications and stop all your transfers. if your bandwidth meter shows heavy activity in both directions, up and down, your pc is a supernode. as for the “flow thru files”, some apps let you see them as they pass through your machine. i used to stare at the file requests in certain gnutella apps. sometimes i’d think there’s a ton of great stuff out there floating around. sometimes i thought i was looking into a gutter on a rainy night...

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-02, 03:39 PM   #18
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
if you're interested to see if your pc is acting as supernode with any particular filesharing app, whether it's gnucleus, winmx, fasttrack or anything else, just connect to the network, exit all other bandwidth using applications and stop all your transfers. if your bandwidth meter shows heavy activity in both directions, up and down, your pc is a supernode. as for the “flow thru files”, some apps let you see them as they pass through your machine. i used to stare at the file requests in certain gnutella apps. sometimes i’d think there’s a ton of great stuff out there floating around. sometimes i thought i was looking into a gutter on a rainy night...

- js.
this line here

sometimes i thought i was looking into a gutter on a rainy night...

cracked me up.

thanks for the facts gentlemen...and also for the acceptance of

my paranormality (yes i know i made that word up...but its okay.)

hehe

Old 25-06-02, 03:45 PM   #19
SA_Dave

spstn : I agree that you can never be too paranoid with these things! It might be a good idea to try what JackSpratts recommended above (taking note that trojans, spyware, virii, RealOne & malware in general could be classified as 'bandwidth using applications.) I'm sure, being the healthy paranoiac that you are, your firewall & other system tools should provide all the detail you need!

It might be fine for your circumstances to avoid using FTA if it's causing problems, although I've never experienced any myself. The latest KL 1.7.1 & Speedup use less than 5Mb RAM on my win2K pro box running almost 24/7, which is far better than with previous versions! You have to remember though, that Kazaa in particular is somewhat buggy & may be causing conflicts with other software in your situation. FTA/Speedup is also a "hack", which is therefore more likely to cause problems than something which is integrated into Kazaa or based on freely-available Kazaa source code.

Another thing I'd suggest, after performing some tests, is to uncheck that setting for 'unlimited bandwidth when computer is idle' or something similar. It can cause problems for many if left checked, especially those on asynchronous lines (such as yourself) as it maximises your upload traffic when you're away from your pc or Kazaa sees your pc as idle (no mouse/keyboard activity in x numer of seconds/minutes.) Also, the supernode setting is sometimes not altered until you restart Kazaa & sometimes not until rebooting! These 2 factors could both be having an effect on your speeds.

Another 2 possibilites : your supernode connections are bad (can be edited in the registry or reset by reconnecting) or unstable & your settings for 'item delay' & 'refresh delay' under FTA could need some tweaking (i.e. higher delay values might improve performance.) If there are a lot of partial .dat's in your d/l folder, this could also be a reason as FTA can quickly start all of them (ie. it ignores your predefined traffic limits.) This is why I use a hex editor (Hex Workshop) to view my .dat files & archive them so I only have 4 files in the folder at once. I usually have 2 larger, common files & 2 rarer files. This is ideal for me, but it might be different in your situation.

To sum up, it's best to play with options until you find what's right for you!
Old 25-06-02, 04:12 PM   #20
SA_Dave

Oh BTW I am on dial-up and Speedup works great using my system!

Quote:
Originally posted by spstn
I think you're partly right there. The problem is with people queueing hundreds or even 1000's of files using ADSL or other relatively high-speed, asynchronous connections; in combination with Speedup/KL+/FTA/MX clones. All these proggies ignore the internal traffic limits. This is often complained about on the KL forums, amongst others. I think another major reason for speed issues is with the exclusion of Musiccity OpenNap Servers with the great upgrade from 1.3.3 debacle/controversy. These post-1.3.3 clients, Grokster in particular, have seemed rather rushed & the biggest bug was with the huge number of aborted uploads. I don't know whether the latest G fixed this, but it seems to be getting better across the board. I think the Musiccity system was designed to interconnect the supernodes better, like master supernodes, which might be why you're having problems getting international connections.

These are some of my theories at least.