P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 21-01-02, 10:23 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default A program to speed up Morpheus downloads

I haven't tried this yet but anything that can speed up those slow downloads is good news.

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mab201/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-02, 11:21 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
In this release the only enhancement is automatic finding of more sources for your current downloads.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will )
but Grokster already does this..and from the same pool of users as Morpheus and Kazaa, no?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-02, 11:38 PM   #3
napho
Dawn's private genie

I got that link from something posted by Grokster support. On a long download I don't think Fasttrack is very aggressive. Edonkey and Imesh seem to keep looking for more sources constantly.

Support
Charter Member
527 posts
Jan-22-02, 03:15 AM (GMT)

1. "RE: how do I interpret downloads?"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-02 AT 03:19 AM (GMT)

If you are on a dialup link, we suggest that you only download one or two files at a time.

The download and bandwidth columns give you some idea of the speed you can expect. Generally the smaller the download time, the better, and the higher the bandwidth number, the better. Most people on dialup are best served usually by clicking on the files that have the "+" to the left as this will allow Grokster to maximize the speed of the connections.

Upload and download speeds are a function of the speed of each users connection as well as how busy each user is, among many other factors. When possible select files that have a small "+" to the left as this indicates multiple sources and Grokster will pull from several of them simultaneously, thus speeding up the download. Remember that many users are on dial up connections which operate very slowly with large files.

This program may also be of help:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mab201
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 02:11 AM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Speed up downloads?

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
If you are on a dialup link, we suggest that you only download one or two files at a time.

This program may also be of help:

Limiting the number of downloads at one time is the best way of speeding up your connection!

Earlier today I did a file search on a user downloading from me and found more then a few files I was interested in downloading from him.

I had a sufficient number queued up to adjust the quantity I was downloading at one time to find the most the most efficient setting.

I normally set downloads to 6 at a time, but not wanting to look too greedy I backed it down to while it was still 2 and saw the total speed increase!

4 files at a time the Kb/s would vary from 17 - 19 with a maximum of 76Kb/s.
3 files at a time the Kb/s would vary from 24 - 28 with a maximum of 84Kb/s.
2 files at a time the Kb/s would vary from 40 - 45 with a maximum of 90Kb/s.
1 file would barely go over 50Kb/s so 2 at a time was the best I could get.

Not knowing what he had his maximums set to I am not really sure what any of this really means. (I could never get 5 at a time so he may have had it set to 4 uploads, the same as I do.)
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-02, 02:24 AM   #5
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Thumbs up MorpheusX

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
I got that link from something posted by Grokster support. On a long download I don't think Fasttrack is very aggressive. Edonkey and Imesh seem to keep looking for more sources constantly.
The author of that program was a regular visitor to the Morpheus Discussion Board. I had downloaded his program some time back and had tried it out. After almost loosing more then a few files, and experiencing mysterious re-boots while I was sleeping I quit using it. He has apparently fixed the first problem (restarting completed downloads) with an updated version.

You can check out the improvements here MorpheusX v0.2
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote