P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 18-02-05, 12:18 AM   #1
Shani
Spagal

Red Face what is the best p2p software out there?

hey all,

im still using imesh and kazaa. heard about emule but dont know if its good for mp3s or if its just good for movies.

what are you using?

Old 18-02-05, 07:43 AM   #2
JackSpratts

soulseek for me. the queues have gotten longer, the leechers greater in number (what else is new), but i just que stuf and know i'll get it in a day or two, if not immediately. been using it for years, longer than any app at this point which is sort of a milestone now that i think about it. if it's music i want (not exe's) it's been a consistent deliverer.

for private networking waste is my choice. don't know what to say about this tiny app except until somebody invents the perfect p2p, waste will be the next best thing.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 06:57 PM   #3
schmooky007
hi

emule is not bad but has the typical remotely queued trouble just like a lot of other P2P programs. so i use emule and winmx, but to get most files i use the web (file search engines) or usenet. i'd have to say usenet is probably the best source for files, be it music, software, pictures, or movies and you don't have to worry about being remotely queued for eternity.
Old 28-06-05, 10:50 PM   #4
Starcraft

snore

I have used many P2P programs including soulseek and emule. I can say beyond any reasonable doubt DC++ is 5 times better than both of these programs put together as LONG as you take the time and learn how to use it properly. The reason is simple, most of the decent hubs have a 20 gig+(per person) minimum share, which is enforced if you are faking a share etc. The 100gig share hubs really rock as they are definately not just leechers. The share ratio is a CRAP loads better than most P2P programs.

Many of the decent international hubs have 800TB available in each hub with maybe only 5000 users (run 3 hubs..... u get the idea). It is very easy to max out your bandwidth downloading maybe 5 or 6+ files at the same time.

Its no competion DC++ all the way if you want stuff yesterday, leechers are no problem at all if you know how to use it. Maybe a 2 minute wait to start a file, if to slow search for an alternative user until your happy. Better than the 6 hour wait and 3ks you get on emule etc.
Old 29-06-05, 12:52 PM   #5
Dream Catcher

speaking of private networking... comparable to waste...cant skype be considered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
soulseek for me. the queues have gotten longer, the leechers greater in number (what else is new), but i just que stuf and know i'll get it in a day or two, if not immediately. been using it for years, longer than any app at this point which is sort of a milestone now that i think about it. if it's music i want (not exe's) it's been a consistent deliverer.

for private networking waste is my choice. don't know what to say about this tiny app except until somebody invents the perfect p2p, waste will be the next best thing.

- js.
Dream Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-05, 03:12 PM   #6
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Catcher
speaking of private networking... comparable to waste...cant skype be considered?
While Skype is an excellent p2p-based telephony application it is not a virtual private network and can't be considered a secure environment in the same sense a WASTE mesh is. Skype's identity and key management are centralized, and the software is closed source, so basically the bad guys could be listening to your private discussions and you would never know.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-05, 08:41 PM   #7
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Catcher
only in an emergency. transfers take forever. it is easilly the slowest direct transfer application i've ever used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
While Skype is an excellent p2p-based telephony application it is not a virtual private network and can't be considered a secure environment in the same sense a WASTE mesh is. Skype's identity and key management are centralized, and the software is closed source, so basically the bad guys could be listening to your private discussions and you would never know.

- tg
that's right and the authorities have taken an interest in skype. it's to be expected. anytime people start communicating en masse and encrypted they get curious about just what it the citizens are talking about. i mean how dare they expect privacy? the nerve of these people! while i have no knowledge of its breech i would not be surprised if authorities were to soon have backdoors into the data streams, whether provided by the vendors or otherwise.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-05, 01:08 AM   #8
Dream Catcher

wow...that really enligthened me !! thanks tankgirl and jackspratss.
Old 02-08-05, 01:56 AM   #9
chopie26

i'm actully using 2 p2p programs. azureus for torrents & edonkey 2000 lite for mp3s. they both work fine.
Old 02-08-05, 04:57 AM   #10
Dream Catcher

azureus and bitcomet within WASTE.... i have both worlds. nothing really technical..just that we exchange or talk within WASTE then for mass sharing we just use either azurues or bitcomet consdering they are tracker less thus no need for torrent sites or whatever.
Old 08-09-05, 04:28 PM   #11
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani
hey all,

im still using imesh and kazaa. heard about emule but dont know if its good for mp3s or if its just good for movies.

what are you using?

Kazaa has far too many false-positive results for my liking, not to mention the awful adware that comes bundled for your displeasure. emule is distinctly average in my opinion.

I've always used Limewire with excellent results. For me, it's was outperforming the vast majority of P2P clients three or four years ago, and after an extended break from using it, I went back to it recently. Simple to use, no-fuss and quick as shit off a shovel. Remote queing is hardly a problem for the more common tracks, and the lesser-known ones aren't a stretch either. It's arguably a smaller network, but fuck it... for MP3s it's always beat the shit out of any other client I've used.

Can't understand why it's not used more widely.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-05, 05:40 PM   #12
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man

Can't understand why it's not used more widely.

I found a copy of Limewire Pro that I've been using for the last few months.

Not bad.
Nicobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-05, 03:15 AM   #13
legion
I took both pills.

i use Shareaza for my mp3s and the odd game or two ... not the fastest thing around but but it search G2, gnutella (i wonder if they are really all that different) and edonkey database. On top of that it also downloads bit torrent files.

I (x)dcc my movies though. Find myself a good server and download full speed (full bandwidth). it is a nice touch that one can download movies faster than one can watch them.
Old 09-09-05, 06:26 AM   #14
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Me?
I love my Bear.

http://www.bearshare.com/lite/

And sheep,
just to keep Toy Boy happy
Attached Images

Old 09-09-05, 07:07 AM   #15
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat
And sheep,
just to keep Toy Boy happy

Old 27-09-05, 10:02 AM   #16
Smoketoomuch
freak

I'm familiarizing myself with Bittorrent/tornado. I made my berry first torrent (the monty python movies - ripped myself from dvd). Now I'm waiting for someone to actually download it - the interest hasn't been overwhelming so far