P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 16-06-08, 12:28 PM   #21
jcmd62
Alpha Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
atm, the choice for Prez is obvious: Obama wants to end the war in Iraq, McCain wants to continue it indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Politicians only talk about the war in order to divide people.

Obama won't end the war, he can't, so he's no different than McCain in that respect.
atm, Its clear that Obamas plan to pull the political wool over the eyes of the ignorant is working. So many people like you knife are falling for the "I want to, therefore I can" bullshit obama is spewing forth every chance he gets. Want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Fact is what obama wants to do and can do are entirely different. He won't end the Iraq war and can't as Mazer properly pointed out. Even if obama lasts 8 years we will still be in Iraq when his term ends. So go ahead and base your vote decision on your ignorance of presidential limitations and what some inexperienced, unknown politician says he WANTS to do instead of what he actually can do. Obama is counting on people like you to focus on the war, something he can do nothing about, and not on the real issues that ARE going to affect you like his major tax increase he will impose the minute he takes office, something he can and will do.

Not that Im a big McCain fan but he never said he wants the war to continue indefinitely. He said we COULD be there for 100 years, not that he WANTS the war to continue. Not the best choice of words but at least he spoke the truth and reality of the situation in the middle east which is rare for a politician.
jcmd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-08, 01:41 PM   #22
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Okay, so run through the issues and how you feel the candidates stand on them. Oh, and try to do so without the insults. I know you feel it makes you 'win' the conversation, but it doesn't.

Can you have a reasoned debate on the stance of the candidates on the issues?

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-08, 03:28 PM   #23
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
The war is a non-issue to all but a few Americans, knife. Though we all talk about it, few of us actually have to deal with it personally. Politicians only talk about the war in order to divide people. It's working; we're well and truly divided on the issue. But what has that accomplished?
actually, the war consistently polls as the second most important issue to voters, behind the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmd62
atm, Its clear that Obamas plan to pull the political wool over the eyes of the ignorant is working. So many people like you knife are falling for the "I want to, therefore I can" bullshit obama is spewing forth every chance he gets. Want in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Fact is what obama wants to do and can do are entirely different. He won't end the Iraq war and can't as Mazer properly pointed out. Even if obama lasts 8 years we will still be in Iraq when his term ends. So go ahead and base your vote decision on your ignorance of presidential limitations and what some inexperienced, unknown politician says he WANTS to do instead of what he actually can do. Obama is counting on people like you to focus on the war, something he can do nothing about, and not on the real issues that ARE going to affect you like his major tax increase he will impose the minute he takes office, something he can and will do.

Not that Im a big McCain fan but he never said he wants the war to continue indefinitely. He said we COULD be there for 100 years, not that he WANTS the war to continue. Not the best choice of words but at least he spoke the truth and reality of the situation in the middle east which is rare for a politician.
you miss the point, laddie - McCain will continue the Bush policies and is on record as being in favor of a permanent Iraqi occupation ( which include 58 permament military bases in Iraq)... whereas Obama has expressly declared no permanent bases in Iraq. so the intent of each candidate is clear and the differences could not be sharper. since Obama was smart enough to foresee the Iraqi trainwreck coming in the first place, he has already demonstrated superior judgement in this area. he obviously has the will, and as Prez, he will also have the power, to end the military occupation of Iraq .
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-08, 03:58 PM   #24
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
atm, the choice for Prez is obvious: Obama wants to end the war in Iraq, McCain wants to continue it indefinitely. the rest is just details.
Didn't the democratic congressional candidates say they wanted to end that war too?

And what did you learn?

You're so willing to swallow any shit at all you should have been sent to the ISS to replace that broken toilet.

But you spew shit out too with your lies about McCain "wanting" to continue the war.

You're too worthless to even serve as a shit collector.

And - AWWWW; the lying, "McBush" squawking, scumbag doesn't like insults. Isn't he special.
Old 16-06-08, 04:44 PM   #25
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Aww, Albed insults people because he can't debate the issues.

Š

Old 16-06-08, 05:54 PM   #26
albed
flippin 'em off

I've already explained what debating with a liar is like, and unlike you, the smell of shit doesn't appeal to me.
Old 16-06-08, 07:05 PM   #27
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

c'mon, you're a Bushie, you've been swallowing shit for eight years. clearly, you've developed a taste for it
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-08, 01:11 AM   #28
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Back to those issues. Notice how McBush changes his tune depending on who he's standing in front of? His latest? That he supports Bill Clinton's Supreme Court appointments of Ginsberg and Breyer? Who'd he say it to? Hillary Clinton supporters.

An unusual stance for someone who wants to overturn Roe. How do you know who/what you're voting for with him? Is there an internal memo? How many of the issues has he changed his position on now? that's easy: all of them.

Š

Old 17-06-08, 10:31 PM   #29
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

He didn't get to be a senator by telling people things they don't like hearing, diego. He's a politician like his opponent. We'll be seeing more of this from both men in the coming months, and here's the reason: getting nominated is a matter of appealing to the extremists in one's party while getting elected is a matter of appealing to the center. It's an anomaly of the two party system so I can hardly blame the candidates for adapting their platforms to the fickle whims of voters. The trick will be to make their flip flopping look like personal growth and not like pandering, and given Obama's perceived inexperience it will be easier for him to get away with it.

You're holding McCain to a higher standard than Obama, whether you realize it or not.

Last edited by Mazer : 17-06-08 at 10:44 PM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-08, 01:25 AM   #30
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Not at all. McCain has changed his stances on the issues, Obama has not. 'Everyone does it' is a cop-out. You know damn well that should Obama change his stance the GOP would have it all over the press. And so all they can do is down-play McCain's flip-flops.

The supposed 'maverick' of the Republican party, forging his own way, he has repeatedly reversed long-held positions and compromised what he has called his core principles. Then he's denied doing it. Then he's denied denying it.

What happened to his stance on campaign reform? What happened to his stance on torture? Special interests? Lobbyists? Off-shore drilling? Immigration reform? Gay marriage? Bush's tax-cuts? Ethanol? Surveillance of the American public? Telco immunity? Gun control? The mortgage crisis? Social security? The list goes on and on.

I'll use Social Security 'privatization' as an example.

John McCain, last week: "But I'm not for, quote, 'privatizing' Social Security. I never have been, I never will be."

John McCain in 2004: "Without privatization, I don't see how you can possibly, over time, make sure that young Americans are able to receive Social Security benefits." [C-Span Road to the White House, 11/18/2004]

John McCain in March: "As part of Social Security reform, I believe that private savings accounts are a part of it - along the lines of what President Bush proposed. I campaigned in support of President Bush's proposal and I campaigned with him, and I did town hall meetings with him." [Wall Street Journal, 3/3/08]

Which one is the 'straight-talk'? You would be hard pressed to name an issues he hasn't pandered on, then lied about pandering on, then lied about lying about pandering on. To be honest, you can't tell who he is or what he believes, but you can tell it would be a presidency governed by whomever he feels he has to please at the moment.

Š

Last edited by Šiego : 18-06-08 at 03:12 AM.
Old 18-06-08, 07:38 AM   #31
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

So I take it you don't perceive his changes in attitude as personal growth. That's okay. For myself I don't expect either candidate to stick to the promises they made before they got nominated. You may call it pandering if you like, I call it the defining characteristic of all politicians.

Last edited by Mazer : 18-06-08 at 07:58 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-08, 08:35 AM   #32
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Not all

Š

Old 24-06-08, 02:04 PM   #33
pisser
Guv

Skull

jcmd and albed: the deliverance boys...

Just a couple more pathetic excuses for shitbags that call themselves human.

They would be better off as the communists they really are....
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 05:40 PM   #34
albed
flippin 'em off

Squeal like a pig, boy.

Ooops, you've been doing that for a loooong time already.
Old 25-06-08, 02:42 PM   #35
pisser
Guv

[quote=albed;262130]Squeal like a pig, boy.

That's your job, Ned.
Old 26-06-08, 02:12 PM   #36
pisser
Guv

JCMD,

Guess what? We will have a black president.

I see that pisses you off to no end, you bigoted bonehead. HAHAHA!!!!

You ugly piece of dogshit.
Old 26-06-08, 06:38 PM   #37
Nicobie

Default I agree

It really is time for a change

helter skelter to all the pol's
Old 04-07-08, 05:08 AM   #38
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
atm, the choice for Prez is obvious: Obama wants to end the war in Iraq, McCain wants to continue it indefinitely. the rest is just details.
ATTENTION; BARAK OBAMA IS REFINING, NOT REVERSING, HIS PLEDGE TO WITHDRAW FROM IRAQ!

REPEAT; BARAK OBAMA IS REFINING, NOT REVERSING, HIS OFT REPEATED PROMISE.
SUCKERS
Old 04-07-08, 07:14 AM   #39
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

I've always known your ability to discuss issues to be hampered by your ignorance of those same issues, and your seeming inability to talk to someone without your questionable upbringing shining through, but I didn't know that ignorance extended to your grasp of the English language.

Refine: to make more fine, subtle, or precise. To make fine distinctions in thought or language: improve, perfect, polish, temper, elevate, hone.

Reverse: opposite or contrary in position, direction, order, or character

A post on HiffPo covers it best, and so I'll quote it for you.

Quote:
Obama Denies Change In Iraq Policy

Democrat Barack Obama struggled Thursday to explain how his upcoming trip to Iraq might refine, but not basically alter, his promise to quickly remove U.S. combat troops from the war.

A dustup over war policy - one of the main issues separating the Illinois senator from his Republican opponent, John McCain - overshadowed Obama's town-hall meeting here with veterans to talk about patriotism and his plans to care for them. Republicans pounced on the chance to characterize Obama as altering one of the core policies that drove his candidacy "for the sake of political expedience." He denied equally forcefully that he was shifting positions.

Arriving in Fargo, Obama hastily called a news conference to discuss news of a sixth straight month of nationwide job losses, but the questioning turned to Iraq policy and his impending trip there.

"I am going to do a thorough assessment when I'm there," he said. "I'm sure I'll have more information and continue to refine my policy."

He left the impression that his talks with military commanders there could refine his promise to remove U.S. combat troops within 16 months of taking office.

Less than four hours later, after the town hall meeting, Obama appeared before reporters for another statement and round of questions to "try this again."

"Apparently I was not clear enough this morning," he said. He blamed any confusion on the McCain campaign, which he said had "primed the pump with the press" to suggest "we were changing our policy when we haven't."

"I have said throughout this campaign that this war was ill-conceived, that it was a strategic blunder and that it needs to come to an end," he said. "I have also said I would be deliberate and careful about how we get out. That position has not changed. I am not searching for maneuvering room with respect to that position."

He promised to summon the Joint Chiefs of Staff on his first day in office "and I will give them a new mission and that is to end this war, responsibly and deliberately, but decisively."

He said that when he talked earlier about refining his policy after talking with commanders in Iraq, he was referring not to his 16-month timeline, but to how many troops may need to remain in Iraq to train the local army and police and what troop presence might be needed "`to be sure al-Qaida doesn't re-establish a foothold there."

"I will bring our troops out at a pace of one two brigades a month" which would mean the United States would be totally out of Iraq in 16 months. "That is what I intend to do as president of the United States."

But later in the session, he said it is possible the 16-month timeline could slip if the pace of withdrawal needs to be slowed some months to ensure troop safety. "I have always said ... I would always reserve the right to do what's best," Obama said.

During his presidential campaign, Obama has gone from the hard-edged, vocal opposition to Iraq that defined his early candidacy to more nuanced rhetoric that calls for the phased-out drawdown of all combat brigades that, at a rate of one or two a month, could take 16 months. He has said that if al-Qaida builds bases in Iraq, he would keep troops either in the country or the region to carry out "targeted strikes."

Republicans, who have claimed Obama needs an update on the situation in Iraq, e-mailed a midday broadside.

"There appears to be no issue that Barack Obama is not willing to reverse himself on for the sake of political expedience," said Alex Conant, a spokesman for the national Republican Party. "Obama's Iraq problem undermines the central premise of his candidacy and shows him to be a typical politician."

McCain, has been a vocal supporter of the Iraq war and war policy has been a central disagreement between the two candidates.

But Obama insisted his position has not changed at all. He pointed out he has always said, "We need to be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in." This means, he said, that his 16-month timeline "was always premised on" not endangering either U.S. troops or Iraq's stability, which he had previously been told by commanders was possible.

"I'm going to continue to gather information to see whether those conditions still hold," he said. "My goal is to end this conflict as soon as possible."

"I continue to believe that it is a strategic error for us to maintain a long-term occupation in Iraq at a time when conditions in Afghanistan are worsening, al-Qaida is continuing to establish bases in areas of northwest Pakistan, resources there are severely strained and we are spending $10 to $12 billion a month in Iraq that we desperately need here at home, not to mention the strains on our military," Obama said.

Obama plans a visit this summer to Jordan, Israel, Germany, France and the United Kingdom. The Illinois senator also has said he intends to visit Iraq and Afghanistan this summer as part of an official congressional trip that would be separate from the campaign-funded Mideast and European tour. It would be his second trip to Iraq.

Obama's Web site contains this direct promise about Iraq: "Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al-Qaida attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al-Qaida."

McCain was an early supporter of increasing the number of U.S. troops in Iraq as President Bush did last year. He wants to pursue the current counterinsurgency tactics to give Iraqis time to work out a political reconciliation. He has said he's willing to see some U.S. troops stay there as much as 100 years but not if they are being wounded or killed in combat. Rather he supports keeping a military presence in that part of the world because of its volatility.
McCain has always supported our invasion and the continued occupation of Iraq and sees no problem with our troops remaining in Iraq at the tune of $10,000,000,000 a month. This for a fiscal conservative?

Obama, and a large majority of the American people, believe we should have remained focused on Afghanistan and that Iraq was a mistake then and is a mistake now. His stated position, which has not changed, is that we need to get our troops out of Iraq and return our attention to eliminating the Taliban and al-Qaeda.

If you don't believe the Iraq invasion, or that our spending 10 bullion dollars a month there now, are mistakes then I question your judgment as much as I question McCains. Why are we spending 10 billion dollars a month on a country which is sitting on untold billions of barrels of oil? Why are they not paying it themselves? Why are we spending so much there, while cupping the budget for schools here?

What the hell is wrong with the Conservatives and can they even be called 'conservative' any more? Or is it that they are only conservative when it comes to spending on Americans and are liberal when spending on their businesses and those of their associates?

Old 04-07-08, 07:23 AM   #40
JackSpratts

"We're going to try this again. Apparently I wasn't clear enough this morning on my position with respect to the war in Iraq.

Let me be as clear as I can be: I intend to end this war.

My first day in office I will bring the Joint Chiefs of Staff in and I will give them a new mission, and that is to end this war -- responsibly, deliberately but decisively.

This is the same position I that had four months ago. It's the same position that I had eight months ago. It's the same position that I had 12 months ago."

- Obama
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote