P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 19-06-07, 05:48 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Bloomberg

Mayor of NYC Michael Bloomberg bails on the GOP, possibly in preparation for an independent run at the Presidency:
Quote:
NEW YORK -- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg left the Republican Party today and switched to unaffiliated, a move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.
a Bloomberg candidacy is an interesting thought and he'd be as viable a 3rd party candidate as you can get - he's self-financing, generally gets good marks as mayor of NYC, no ideological baggage to speak of (historically a Dem but became a GOPer to run for mayor), fiscal conservative, social moderate...not a bad package.

so who'd get hurt by a 3rd party Bloomberg candidacy - the Dem or the GOP candidate? Ross Perot picked up 19% of the vote in '92, even after he had imploded as a flake, and Clinton won pretty easily.
Quote:
"If he runs, this guarantees a Republican will be the next president of the United States. The Democrats have to be shaking in their boots," said Greg Strimple, a Republican strategist in New York who is unaligned in the race.

The belief among some operatives is that Bloomberg's moderate positions would siphon votes from the Democratic nominee. Others say it's not that cut and dry; they say whom he would draw from depends on the nominees.
i'm not sure about that one either - i think there are plenty of moderate Republicans who are pretty disgusted with their party's performance and would bail on the GOP as well, if there was an attractive non-Dem alternative. but is the country ready for a Jewish Prez?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-07, 06:07 PM   #2
JackSpratts

i think he'd hurt the dems more than the reps - at least the polarised conservatives. if you're a gun totin bible thumpin anti abortion pro school prayer republican, bloomberg isn't on your radar and never will be (in your crosshairs maybe) :0

he doesn't need to worry about finances either.

we'll have to see who wins the primaries but right now it doesn't seem to be the answer to a democrat's wish, from a strategic angle anyway.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-07, 06:14 PM   #3
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I always love your avatar knifey.

As far as your topic.... nobody will ever please the majority of the people. Doesn't matter what they say.

And IMO it doesn't what party they are, because most don't follow thru with their promises. EVERY one since god knows when has said health care is their main issue, yet nothing changes.

I see the whole system and I am SO pissed by it

(end of vent )
Old 19-06-07, 06:37 PM   #4
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
i think he'd hurt the dems more than the reps - at least the polarised conservatives. if you're a gun totin bible thumpin anti abortion pro school prayer republican, bloomberg isn't on your radar and never will be (in your crosshairs maybe) :0

he doesn't need to worry about finances either.

we'll have to see who wins the primaries but right now it doesn't seem to be the answer to a democrat's wish, from a strategic angle anyway.

- js.
actually, i'd like to see a candidate like Bloomberg marginalize that gun totin bible thump anti abortion pro school prayer republican faction right into political left field. come in from the middle and siphon enough moderate votes off of each side to leave both left and right wingnuts out on their own limbs. nobody is particularly inspiring on the Dem side and the GOP lineup is the usual crop of weenies...and a self-financing candidate is particularly attractive because nobody owns him and he owes noone.

edit: the one thing that would really concern me about a Bloomberg presidency is his close ties to the pro-Israel lobby and AIPAC - a little fresh thinking on our Middle East policy is clearly overdue.

double edit: hi dawn i wish health care was the main issue - it should be - but because the current Prez has suckered the country into an unwinnable permanent foreign occupation, there's not going to be a lot of available resources in this country for anything else. unfortunately, Iraq is the main issue - i'll vote for anybody who will end it.
Old 20-06-07, 01:37 AM   #5
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
edit: the one thing that would really concern me about a Bloomberg presidency is his close ties to the pro-Israel lobby and AIPAC - a little fresh thinking on our Middle East policy is clearly overdue.
I hope you are being sarcastic....

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-07, 03:46 PM   #6
daddydirt
even the losers

Default who in their right mind would ever vote for michael bloomberg?

he'$ a democrat......no wait.....he'$ a republican.....no wait......he'$ independent.....no wait......he'$ a rich untru$tworthy opportuni$t.

he never get my vote......unle$$ he throw$ some buck$ my way.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-07, 05:39 PM   #7
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic....
I can never tell if you are either.

I am clear enough how I feel:

The mega bucks given to Israel should have been stopped 10 or more years ago. Maybe then all those people (people just like you & me) would not have DIED for nothing.

U got that dillweed......?

Now it seems that the west is going to take out Iran because they copied what Israel did 10 years ago.

I say bomb Israel first if they do not get rid of their nukes.

Can't wait to see responses to this. And for doG's sake, keep religion out of it.
Old 20-06-07, 08:30 PM   #8
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydirt View Post
he'$ a democrat......no wait.....he'$ a republican.....no wait......he'$ independent.....no wait......he'$ a rich untru$tworthy opportuni$t.

he never get my vote......unle$$ he throw$ some buck$ my way.
i've got no problem with his megabucks - as far as i know, he made his money the old fashioned way. the Presidency gets bought anyway you look at it - it's just a question of who's paying. party affiliation doesn't seem to have much relationship to competence either. plain old competence and common sense in an elected official would be fucking thrilling at this point - i have no idea whether Bloomberg has either but he seems to know how to run NYC.
Old 20-06-07, 09:32 PM   #9
ittybitty

Unfortunetly, we have Dems ,Repubs,all the religs in a America.. why can't we just be 1 and all.. that's my dream...slap .. wake up ! As much as we want (all) to resolve it takes too many of us that can't cross those stones..!