P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 11-06-07, 07:07 PM   #1
albed
flippin 'em off

Big Laugh The death penalty scores!

A series of academic studies show that executing a murderer deters at least several other murders so the stupid opponents of the death penalty are actually supporting more homicide.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/...lty_deterrence
Quote:
There is no question about it," said Naci Mocan, an economics professor at the University of Colorado at Denver. "The conclusion is there is a deterrent effect."

A 2003 study he co-authored, and a 2006 study that re-examined the data, found that each execution results in five fewer homicides, and commuting a death sentence means five more homicides. "The results are robust, they don't really go away," he said. "I oppose the death penalty. But my results show that the death penalty (deters) — what am I going to do, hide them?"

Statistical studies like his are among a dozen papers since 2001 that [show] capital punishment has deterrent effects.

People with common sense really don't need studies to tell them the obvious but with mass stupidity becoming the fad of the times it's good to have formal proof.

Now we have to start prosecuting all the moronic death penalty opponents as accessories to murder.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 07:55 AM   #2
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Always a hard one this.
If mistakes are made,you can't go back.
We have had a number of cases here in the UK,
where years later after massive campaigns people
were found to be innocent.
In some of the IRA cases they were fitted up by the police.
Now,at least then they can still get a life after release.
If your point is that it acts as a deterrent,maybe.
I think maybe to proper people,but to scum bags,I'm not sure.
Maybe each time an execution takes place,it has a short term effect.
My only worry is you've got the right person and the verdict is correct.
As to executing scum,much as it's against my gentle nature I say yes.
Old 12-06-07, 09:57 AM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

When innocent people go into prison they never come out innocent.

I'll tell you this, if I was falsely convicted of murder I'd rather not spend the rest of my life in prison. Put me to death even if I am innocent, unless there's a chance the conviction will be overturned on appeal.

Last edited by Mazer : 12-06-07 at 10:08 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 01:26 PM   #4
pisser
Guv

It is first and foremost about revenge and 'justice' for the victim's family, then about deterrence.
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 02:58 PM   #5
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
When innocent people go into prison they never come out innocent.
Rhetorical nonsense unless you're interchanging legal status with moral state then it's just a phoney allegory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
I'll tell you this, if I was falsely convicted of murder I'd rather not spend the rest of my life in prison. Put me to death even if I am innocent, unless there's a chance the conviction will be overturned on appeal.
Suicidal cowardice doesn't become you. A lot of people in the world live their whole lives under conditions that make a U.S. prison seem luxurious. Why do you fear it so much you'd rather die?
Old 12-06-07, 03:24 PM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Yeah, you're right. If I actually was sentenced to life in prison I'd probably have second thoughts about it. However, I am trying to make the point that the death of a few wrongfully convicted individuals is worth it to execute the thousands who really deserve it. So if that's how the system worked and I ended up convicted of a murder I didn't commit, I wouldn't hold it against the justice system for executing me, just for convicting me in the first place. I guess I fear injustice more than death, but that's just me.

Last edited by Mazer : 12-06-07 at 03:34 PM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 04:16 PM   #7
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

execute 'em. use a higher standard of proof than just "reasonable doubt", but if that can be established, go ahead and execute 'em. dunno about the deterrent factor - and the validity of the conclusions of the study appear debatable - but i do know the recidivismn rate among executed felons is zero. so if the punishment fits the crime and the proof is indisputable, off with thier heads.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 06:58 PM   #8
albed
flippin 'em off

Got some french in you there knife?

There always seems to be problems with methods though. I suspect prisoners are dehydrating themselves or something to shrink their veins before lethal injection with all the difficulties they've been having.

They should have a garrote around the guys neck hooked to a little winch for backup.
Old 13-06-07, 01:15 AM   #9
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Arrow

We do not have death penalty in Canada.

miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-08, 02:01 PM   #10
jcmd62
Alpha Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver View Post
We do not have death penalty in Canada.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Click on just a few of the "Offender Info's" on some of these now deceased scumbags. 99% of these lowlifes were habitual offenders who were paroled time after time until they graduated to rape and murder of sometimes multiple victims. Its not like there was some real question of their guilt or that they were wrongly accused. You also have to consider how many thousands of crimes these criminals got away with before they got caught for the ONE that put them away for good.
Attached Images

Last edited by jcmd62 : 23-02-08 at 02:26 PM.
jcmd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-08, 04:08 PM   #11
tafkaMr.E
Fatter Git

Odd. It's always seemed to me that the death sentence is a bit of a let off for the criminal really. OK, it's a scary arsed prospect knowing that you are going to die but jeeze, if it was me and I had a choice between spending every day between now and the day I die behind bars or putting an end to it all I know which i'd prefer. That said I can't say for sure I'd have the guts to go through with it when faced with an actual real choice.
Also. I'm 100% certain that if anybody murdered somebody I love I would want them to rot in jail for the rest of their lives and live with what they had done.

As for the death sentence being a deterent. Murder is very often not a considered act carried out by someone who is thinking about the consequences.
Old 28-02-08, 05:14 PM   #12
albed
flippin 'em off

Have you spent even a single day behind bars before spouting your straight from Hollywood opinions?

Have you ever been confused about how real convicts can develop extremely muscular physiques or get college degrees while 'rotting away' in prison?

Have you ever wondered why first degree murder has that "premeditated" requirement in it's definition?

Nah, you just parrot the liberal propaganda you've learned without straining your own brain with thinking.

Anyone caught murdering "somebody you loved" would probably be laughing his ass off on the way out of the courtroom.

Last edited by albed : 28-02-08 at 05:27 PM.
Old 29-02-08, 08:09 AM   #13
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

Yay Albed. You get an award for that post.
Attached Images

P2P Consortium
vernarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-08, 11:08 AM   #14
tafkaMr.E
Fatter Git

Albed. Are you actually cabable of having a discussion about something instead of just hurling abuse around?
Old 29-02-08, 11:31 AM   #15
albed
flippin 'em off

Well I asked some questions there.

I probably should have figured you'd be unable or unwilling to do the thinking to come up with answers though.

You should ask youself if you're capable of doing your own thinking and contributing something original instead of just regurgitating the spoon fed opinions that are given to all the simpletons via television and pretending you're "discussing" something.
Old 29-02-08, 03:30 PM   #16
tafkaMr.E
Fatter Git

That would be a no then.
Old 29-02-08, 05:41 PM   #17
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Perhaps you should ask youself, albed, if you're capable of doing your own thinking and contributing something original instead of just ENDLESSLY regurgitating the opinion that you are superior to everyone you encounter based on your simpleton's arrogance and pretending you're "informed" about something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
People with common sense really don't need studies to tell them the obvious but with mass stupidity becoming the fad of the times it's good to have formal proof.
Not only were the studies in the original article NOT "formal proof," you blithering fuckwad, the article itself plainly pointed out that there's not enough data in them to draw a conclusion.

From your mindlessly parroted article, which you apparently didn't even bother to read yourself:

Quote:
"We just don't have enough data to say anything," said Justin Wolfers, an economist at the Wharton School of Business who last year co-authored a sweeping critique of several studies, and said they were "flimsy" and appeared in "second-tier journals."

The latest arguments replay a 1970s debate that had an impact far beyond academic circles.

Then, economist Isaac Ehrlich had also concluded that executions deterred future crimes. His 1975 report was the subject of mainstream news articles and public debate, and was cited in papers before the U.S. Supreme Court arguing for a reversal of the court's 1972 suspension of executions. (The court, in 1976, reinstated the death penalty.)

Ultimately, a panel was set up by the National Academy of Sciences which decided that Ehrlich's conclusions were flawed. But the new pro-deterrent studies haven't gotten that kind of scrutiny.
You're the single most ignorant poster on this board, and always have been. You have zero credibility, and, in conclusion, fuck you and your hillbilly mother.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-08, 07:20 PM   #18
albed
flippin 'em off

As usual you lack the balls to come out with an opinion of your own--the ones in your mouth don't help at all--so all you can do is ankle bite the people who have them.
Old 29-02-08, 09:02 PM   #19
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

I deem you unworthy of the opportunity to even discuss my opinions you sad, oily little man, but just posting pictures of people vomiting at you is only funny in small doses.

And, as someone who seemed to think it took "balls" to proclaim Rudy Giuliani and Condoleezza Rice would win the upcoming election, your clear misunderstanding of the concept makes me fairly glad you think I have none.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-08, 09:51 PM   #20
RDixon

Albed is a fine example of a retroactive abortion gone wrong.
He survived.
In prison, he wouldn't.