P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 19-02-07, 02:21 AM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Default Al Qaeda seems to be doing well

New York Times:

Al Qaeda Chiefs Are Seen to Regain Power

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Feb. 18 — Senior leaders of Al Qaeda operating from Pakistan have re-established significant control over their once-battered worldwide terror network and over the past year have set up a band of training camps in the tribal regions near the Afghan border, according to American intelligence and counterterrorism officials.

American officials said there was mounting evidence that Osama bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, had been steadily building an operations hub in the mountainous Pakistani tribal area of North Waziristan. Until recently, the Bush administration had described Mr. bin Laden and Mr. Zawahri as detached from their followers and cut off from operational control of Al Qaeda.

The United States has also identified several new Qaeda compounds in North Waziristan, including one that officials said might be training operatives for strikes against targets beyond Afghanistan.

American analysts said recent intelligence showed that the compounds functioned under a loose command structure and were operated by groups of Arab, Pakistani and Afghan militants allied with Al Qaeda. They receive guidance from their commanders and Mr. Zawahri, the analysts said. Mr. bin Laden, who has long played less of an operational role, appears to have little direct involvement.

Officials said the training camps had yet to reach the size and level of sophistication of the Qaeda camps established in Afghanistan under Taliban rule. But groups of 10 to 20 men are being trained at the camps, the officials said, and the Qaeda infrastructure in the region is gradually becoming more mature.

The new warnings are different from those made in recent months by intelligence officials and terrorism experts, who have spoken about the growing abilities of Taliban forces and Pakistani militants to launch attacks into Afghanistan. American officials say that the new intelligence is focused on Al Qaeda and points to the prospect that the terrorist network is gaining in strength despite more than five years of a sustained American-led campaign to weaken it.
Thanks to U.S. invasion, they now are a strong force in Iraq where they had practically no presence before the war. And now they seem to be getting their training organization and command structure back into shape again. It seems Bush has been doing a great service for them while doing a great misservice for his own country - there will be no lack of passionately US-hating Al Qaeda recruits during the next 20 years.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 11:54 AM   #2
albed
flippin 'em off

Well you just give them a big hug and tell them you can't wait till they take over your country.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 12:31 PM   #3
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
- there will be no lack of passionately US-hating Al Qaeda recruits during the next 20 years.
Right, Because Al Qaeda was so friendly to the USA before the Iraqi invasion. I mean so they killed 3000 people in New York, bombed the USS Cole killing soldiers, bombed targets around the world killing Americans, British, Africans, but I guess you want to ignore all that and have us believe the Iraqi invasion has made America a target and recruitment is up.

But hey --

Al Qaeda's number two, Aymah al-Zawahiri, has sent his marching orders to the Democrats, which may help explain why the Democrats are pushing so hard to surrender. It really is stunning, Zawahiri is urging the Democrats to implement the policies the Democrats campaigned on implementing.

Speaking directly to the Dems, their Grand Ayatollah said:

As for the Democrats in America, I tell them:

The people chose you due to your opposition to Bush's policy in Iraq, but it appears that you are marching with him to the same abyss, and it appears that you will take part with him in the defeat and certain failure, with God's permission. And the American people shall discover that you are all one side of the same coin of tyranny, criminality and failure; that failure which - by the grace of God - has neutralized the endeavors of the traitors who entered Kabul and Baghdad on the backs of American tanks, and has dashed their hopes as they see the Mujahideen come closer and closer to victory, which has led them to urgently appeal to America for help and implore it to continue to occupy their lands and raise the banners of the Cross over their heads.

So, Democrats, your Grand Ayatollah is giving you a direct order to cut and run. You better not disappoint him.

It is not a sad commentary that the policies of the Democrats in the United States Congress are the same policies advocated by our enemies?

Last edited by Sinner : 19-02-07 at 04:10 PM.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 03:39 PM   #4
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

It's much worse than that.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02062007..._schlussel.htm

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 07:45 PM   #5
JackSpratts

lol @ debbie schlussel. like ann coulter, except genuinely insane.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 10:12 PM   #6
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post

Thanks to U.S. invasion, they now are a strong force in Iraq where they had practically no presence before the war. And now they seem to be getting their training organization and command structure back into shape again. It seems Bush has been doing a great service for them while doing a great misservice for his own country - there will be no lack of passionately US-hating Al Qaeda recruits during the next 20 years.
The reagan Administration is reaping what they planted back in 1983. The denial of it all is quite mind boggling.

Even more mind boggling is this, confront the typical US citizen with those facts, that their own government financed those terror org/s to begin with while it suited them. Borderline Denial.

Why do Al-Q exist? US backed Jihad against the russians. Anyone denying this are born to be bubble boys/gals.

What is truly heartbreaking is that most US citizens serving under that insane war were little babies cooing at their parents back in 1983 with no voice of their own. Now those same cooing loves comes back as shellshocked, amputated or in coffins. Quite an unfair legacy on the behalf of the Reagan administration if not a shame for the whole party.

Another matter of interest for those who lost limbs in the current Irak war and are treated less than fairly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021701172.html

They did their part, they fought in this war yet those who says they support their troops will not do squat against this insult that is bestowed on their amputated survivors.

My heart goes to their courage and inequality on how they are treated now. IMO, they should have the top notch treatment by the best doctors, not being chided by their superiors because they cannot get a new uniform when it is time to claim their purple heart medal.

Support our troops, forget the amputees?

War with Irak, stupid to begin with.
WMD found, close to zilch.
Send your offsprings to finish war feeble Reagan started, useless.
Senators/Congressman's daughter's/son's going to war, yet to be proven. (talk about patriotism)
The media and US army ignoring their most recent war veteran, PRICELESS.

On this, I truly wonder who hates the most US citizens. Those who talk againt this insane administration or those who ignore those ripples in the pond where that rock was throwned and keep burying their head in the sand as to what becomes of most soldiers who actually "RISK" their lives over there for what they truly believes in.

Keyboard warriors sucks, enlist and serve a purpuse for once beside wearing down a piece of technology by ranting on some who are so unpatriotic because they oppose the war, according to their views.

Support the troops is one thing.
Ignore them when they come back maimed, unacceptable.
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 10:15 PM   #7
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Right, Because Al Qaeda was so friendly to the USA before the Iraqi invasion. I mean so they killed 3000 people in New York, bombed the USS Cole killing soldiers, bombed targets around the world killing Americans, British, Africans, but I guess you want to ignore all that and have us believe the Iraqi invasion has made America a target and recruitment is up.

But hey --

Al Qaeda's number two, Aymah al-Zawahiri, has sent his marching orders to the Democrats, which may help explain why the Democrats are pushing so hard to surrender. It really is stunning, Zawahiri is urging the Democrats to implement the policies the Democrats campaigned on implementing.

Speaking directly to the Dems, their Grand Ayatollah said:

As for the Democrats in America, I tell them:

The people chose you due to your opposition to Bush's policy in Iraq, but it appears that you are marching with him to the same abyss, and it appears that you will take part with him in the defeat and certain failure, with God's permission. And the American people shall discover that you are all one side of the same coin of tyranny, criminality and failure; that failure which - by the grace of God - has neutralized the endeavors of the traitors who entered Kabul and Baghdad on the backs of American tanks, and has dashed their hopes as they see the Mujahideen come closer and closer to victory, which has led them to urgently appeal to America for help and implore it to continue to occupy their lands and raise the banners of the Cross over their heads.

So, Democrats, your Grand Ayatollah is giving you a direct order to cut and run. You better not disappoint him.

It is not a sad commentary that the policies of the Democrats in the United States Congress are the same policies advocated by our enemies?
sucker politics - get a grip, sinner, you're getting played like a fiddle. your "sad commentary" is irrelevant from a policy viewpoint. the Iraq war is over for the US and, by not winning, we lost.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 11:38 PM   #8
multi
Thanks for being with arse

this is just the beginning as these people try to bludgeon everyone into thinking that a vote against their team is a vote for the terrorists..
try again losers.. no one is buying

it's time to go back to the opposition where you belong

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 03:04 AM   #9
RDixon

http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ter...eda-237928.php
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 09:40 AM   #10
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
sucker politics - get a grip, sinner, you're getting played like a fiddle. your "sad commentary" is irrelevant from a policy viewpoint. the Iraq war is over for the US and, by not winning, we lost.

Now knife, I am just playing the same tune as Tankgirl. As for the War I agree, seems Americans don't want to win wars any more.

Watch this video...

http://www.glennbeck.com/realstory/iraq-video.shtml

This is what the Dems and 24 cowards of the GOP will destroy with their Slow Bleed policy.

Last edited by Sinner : 20-02-07 at 01:22 PM.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 10:38 AM   #11
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Sinner, you might be interested in this blog. It culls together Iraq news reports that show the positive side of our presence there. The blogger is a little over optimistic, but the news reports themselves are what's important.

http://www.kmax.ws/b/goodnewsiniraq.htm

Everyone else, don't bother clicking the link. I'd hate for you to have to open your minds.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 07:40 PM   #12
Nicobie

[quote=miss_silver;254171]

Keyboard warriors sucks, enlist and serve a purpose for once beside wearing down a piece of technology by ranting on some who are so unpatriotic because they oppose the war, according to their views.

Support the troops is one thing.
QUOTE]

What are you trying to say with this rant?

It sounds as if you are saying, "Be a Man" and go to war for me so I don't have to.

Doesn't Canada allow women to fight? You sure seem to enjoy confrontations, I'd think that you would fit right in.
Old 21-02-07, 07:09 PM   #13
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicobie View Post

What are you trying to say with this rant?

It sounds as if you are saying, "Be a Man" and go to war for me so I don't have to.

Doesn't Canada allow women to fight? You sure seem to enjoy confrontations, I'd think that you would fit right in.
Not a rant, a fact, too many keyboard warriors puffing and huffing.

As for Canadian men or women going to war in Irak... Canadian citizens never bought in the LIE that tied Al-Q to Saddam, nor did our MP at the time.

I am against the war, always were, why enlist? quite an oxymoron no?
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-07, 08:54 PM   #14
theknife

Default Tony Blair gets a clue

Britain begins to bail:
Quote:
LONDON, Feb. 21 — In sharp contrast to the American troop buildup in Baghdad, Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain announced today that up to 1,600 of the roughly 7,100 British troops in southern Iraq will begin withdrawing in coming months.
driven by bad polls at home and an untenable situation in Iraq, Blair begins to cash in his chips and go home.
Quote:
Vice President Cheney said Wednesday that the planned British withdrawal was a response to improved security in the area. "What I see is an affirmation of the fact that there are parts of Iraq where things are going pretty well," Cheney told ABC News.
this is absolutely false and Cheney knows it - British casualties have tripled in the last several months.
Quote:
Britain's soft approach of leaving the Islamist militias largely alone, at least before Sinbad, has worked little better than the harder American one according to Anthony Cordesman, an independent analyst at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. "The British were not defeated in a military sense, but lost in the political sense, if 'victory' means securing the south-east for the central government and some form of national unity," he says. "Soft ethnic cleansing has been going on in Basra for more than two years, and the south has been the scene of a less violent form of civil war for control of political and economic space that is as important as the more openly violent struggles in Anbar and Baghdad."
make no mistake, Britain is reducing forces because they can do no more. it's a rout, not a victory.
Old 22-02-07, 09:32 AM   #15
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

What your hit-and-run style news reporting doesn't reveal is that Britain has steadily withdrawn their troops from Iraq over the past four years.

Name:  brittroopgraph.gif
Views: 724
Size:  4.6 KB
Source

It's only news now because Blair has started using this slow, steady pullout to his political advantage. His approval ratings in Britain are worse than Bush's in America so now he's pandering. This next troop level reduction won't vindicate him, but it will remove some of the tarnish from his legacy.

Quote:
it's a rout, not a victory.
Basra is the coalition's link to the gulf, most of their supply lines run through it. If troops in Basra really had been routed then the war would be over. Well the war is decidedly not over. This idea of yours that civil war has permeated every nook and cranny of Iraq and engulfed the lives of everyone there is absurd. Basra has its share of violence, but it is not on the verge of self destruction, and neither is most of Iraq for that matter.

Last edited by Mazer : 22-02-07 at 09:46 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-07, 11:00 AM   #16
pisser
Guv

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver View Post
or those who ignore those ripples in the pond where that rock was throwned and keep burying their head in the sand
Perfect description of ALBED! Keep it up, girl!
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-07, 11:19 AM   #17
albed
flippin 'em off

Lol, give it up already pisser; she prefers men.

I guess Britain is so "routed" that they're sending Prince Harry in to hold the fort.

Things will get very interesting if he gets snuffed.
Old 22-02-07, 11:19 AM   #18
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Britain begins to bail:

driven by bad polls at home and an untenable situation in Iraq, Blair begins to cash in his chips and go home.
this is absolutely false and Cheney knows it - British casualties have tripled in the last several months.
make no mistake, Britain is reducing forces because they can do no more. it's a rout, not a victory.

As Mazer has said, this - like almost everything you hear about Iraq is all about home politics. The British have 7000 troops in Iraq right now and they are pulling 1500 out. Denmark is pulling 450 and Lithuania is pulling 53. What the media fails to tell you is Australia is sending more troops. You may see it as abandonment but I think it is a sign of hope. As Iraqi troops take control, foreign troops leave. That`s been the plan all along. Hasn`t it? Let international troops make the country safe, then go home.

There was a poll yesterday, I don’t have a link but it showed 57 percent of Americans want to stay in Iraq and finish the job, 57 percent want to win the war. That is good I guess, and you should be thanking the British because many have sacrificed their lives in this war. So the USA will have to win this war without Britain, Denmark, Lithuania, and certainly without the weasels in France. It has always been on USA’s shoulders.
Old 22-02-07, 07:00 PM   #19
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
As Mazer has said, this - like almost everything you hear about Iraq is all about home politics. The British have 7000 troops in Iraq right now and they are pulling 1500 out. Denmark is pulling 450 and Lithuania is pulling 53. What the media fails to tell you is Australia is sending more troops. You may see it as abandonment but I think it is a sign of hope. As Iraqi troops take control, foreign troops leave. That`s been the plan all along. Hasn`t it? Let international troops make the country safe, then go home.

There was a poll yesterday, I don’t have a link but it showed 57 percent of Americans want to stay in Iraq and finish the job, 57 percent want to win the war. That is good I guess, and you should be thanking the British because many have sacrificed their lives in this war. So the USA will have to win this war without Britain, Denmark, Lithuania, and certainly without the weasels in France. It has always been on USA’s shoulders.
actually, i regard this as a sign of hope, also - hope that the decision-makers in the Iraq debacle may finally be coming down to earth. Britain's situation is untenable :
Quote:
LONDON — Britain's decision to pull 1,600 troops out of Iraq by spring, touted by U.S. and British leaders as a turning point in Iraqi sovereignty, was widely seen Wednesday as a telling admission that the British military could no longer sustain simultaneous wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The British military is approaching "operational failure," former defense staff chief Charles Guthrie warned this week.

"Because the British army is in essence fighting a far more intensive counterinsurgency war in Afghanistan, there's been a realization that there has to be some sort of transfer of resources from Iraq to Afghanistan," said Clive Jones, a senior lecturer in Middle East politics at the University of Leeds, who has closely followed Britain's Iraq deployment.

"It's either that, or you risk in some ways losing both," he said. "It's the classic case of 'Let's declare victory and get out.' "
"declare victory and leave" (also know as "cut and run" in some quarters) is a fine idea - something we should have done several years ago. kudos to the Brits for the reality check. what are they leaving behind in Basra, the city where the British embassy had to be moved to the airport because they were unable to defend it ?
Quote:
... the Pentagon, in its most recent quarterly report to Congress, listed Basra as one of five cities outside Baghdad where violence remained "significant," and said the region was one of only two "not ready for transition" to Iraqi authorities.

Once a promising beacon, Basra suffers from sectarian violence as well as Shiite militia clashes over oil smuggling. Ferocious street battles have broken out between rival Shiite Muslim groups in provincial capitals such as Samawah, Kut and Diwaniya in the last year
Cheney knows this - he gets the same report. the White House assessment of the British decision is simply dishonest. i know, shocking, isn't it?

oh, and about that poll. i know it's thrilling for the right to finally find a poll that tells them what they want to hear, but let's consider the source.. if you need to latch on to this one, to get past the 30 or 40 other polls that indicate otherwise, knock yoursef out. the methodolgy is so bad, even Republicans have distanced themselves from this particular polling firm.
Old 22-02-07, 08:18 PM   #20
albed
flippin 'em off

I think it's telling that theknife's antagonism now extends to Britain, showing that his opinion isn't based on any concern for his country but on uniform opposition to any enemy of islamic terrorists.

Though he's really no different than all the weak minded, easily swayed liberals.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is taken to heart by terrorists and liberals alike.