P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 07-01-07, 04:30 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

snore Future of Iraq: The spoils of war

How the West will make a killing on Iraqi oil riches

Quote:
The huge potential prizes for Western firms will give ammunition to critics who say the Iraq war was fought for oil. They point to statements such as one from Vice-President Dick Cheney, who said in 1999, while he was still chief executive of the oil services company Halliburton, that the world would need an additional 50 million barrels of oil a day by 2010. "So where is the oil going to come from?... The Middle East, with two-thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies," he said.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 11:01 AM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Time to find an other energy source, methinks.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 11:04 AM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Time to find an other energy source, methinks.
absolutely - should have been a major push five years ago, a la the Manhattan Project or the space program.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 12:18 PM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

For most other technologies I would say that the government should just stand aside and let private business and industry lead the way. It's worked for the internet so far, and non-government standardization bodies like the IEEE and ISO have done a pretty good job of making things work. But in this instance the government needs to mandate foreign oil and natural gas independence. Not just by setting a date and saying this is when you'll stop using petroleum, but by working with the industries that use petrochemicals and funding research to develop alternatives. Oil isn't just used for fuel, it is also the feedstock for synthetic plastics, pharmaceuticals, food additives, fertilizers and pesticides, and half a million other things we can't live without. Just switching the transportation industry over to ethanol or battery electric power won't solve this problem (though it would be a big step in the right direction). So alternative synthetic chemical feedstocks need to be developed as well.

This isn't about the environment or about reducing fuel costs, it's about national security. To that end the government must work with the oil companies or else they'll oppose this transition at every turn. It can't be helped if doing so will raise a stink with Greenpeace or whoever; if the oil companies aren't part of the solution then they're part of the problem and they must be invited to participate.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 05:08 PM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Blood and oil: How the West will profit from Iraq's most precious commodity
(Independent)

Quote:
So was this what the Iraq war was fought for, after all? As the number of US soldiers killed since the invasion rises past the 3,000 mark, and President George Bush gambles on sending in up to 30,000 more troops, The Independent on Sunday has learnt that the Iraqi government is about to push through a law giving Western oil companies the right to exploit the country's massive oil reserves.

Now, unnoticed by most amid the furore over civil war in Iraq and the hanging of Saddam Hussein, the new oil law has quietly been going through several drafts, and is now on the point of being presented to the cabinet and then the parliament in Baghdad. Its provisions are a radical departure from the norm for developing countries: under a system known as "production-sharing agreements", or PSAs, oil majors such as BP and Shell in Britain, and Exxon and Chevron in the US, would be able to sign deals of up to 30 years to extract Iraq's oil.

Critics fear that given Iraq's weak bargaining position, it could get locked in now to deals on bad terms for decades to come. "Iraq would end up with the worst possible outcome," said Greg Muttitt of Platform, a human rights and environmental group that monitors the oil industry. He said the new legislation was drafted with the assistance of BearingPoint, an American consultancy firm hired by the US government, which had a representative working in the American embassy in Baghdad for several months.

"Three outside groups have had far more opportunity to scrutinise this legislation than most Iraqis," said Mr Muttitt. "The draft went to the US government and major oil companies in July, and to the International Monetary Fund in September. Last month I met a group of 20 Iraqi MPs in Jordan, and I asked them how many had seen the legislation. Only one had."
The US way to export democracy: skip the will of the Iraqi people where it counts, like in the exploitation of country's natural riches.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 06:37 PM   #6
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

So There!

miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 06:55 PM   #7
Nicobie

I will start paying attention to your anti us rants when YOU quit driving a car or heating your room.

stupidity
Old 07-01-07, 07:03 PM   #8
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
absolutely - should have been a major push five years ago, a la the Manhattan Project or the space program.
I try to explain to the uneducatable that it's not like those things, with little success. They're just to ignorant or too impaired to comprehend that chemistry, physics and economics dictate what can be used as alternatives to oil, just as those sciences dictated what could be done with nuclear weapons and space travel. But they persist in repeating the brainless squawking that all that is needed is a "government program".

The intelligent and mentally healthy segments of society have already discovered and evaluated all the practical sources of energy and no government "push" will change anything.

Unfortunately there will always be a large segment of the population that are just too stupid to understand this.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 07:09 PM   #9
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicobe
I will start paying attention to your anti us rants when YOU quit driving a car or heating your room.

stupidity
Lol. Do you actually think she has the brains to get a drivers license? Even in Canada?
Old 07-01-07, 07:19 PM   #10
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicobie View Post

stupidity
I do not own a car, the city transportation is enough for my needs. As for my heating needs, I let the downstair neighbors take care about it, boy do they heat up their place, my room floor is quite warm when I walk on it.

Try again

>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<

OH btw, you do know why they call it hydro-electricity right?

Ever seen the doco Enron, the smartest man in the room?
Old 08-01-07, 07:10 PM   #11
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver View Post

Try again
You don't have a car? I guess that could be.

You live in the north and don't have heat?

Bullshit.
Old 09-01-07, 03:27 AM   #12
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicobie View Post
You don't have a car? I guess that could be.

You live in the north and don't have heat?

Bullshit.
Nicobie

Get your head out of your arse...

Maple trees are sapping like crazy

Migratory birds are here 3 month in advance

The lawns are still green in Montreal right now if you didn't know this little fact.

No need to heat so far, we barely had 3 days below freezing temp.

like I said previously, try again

>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 09-01-07, 11:33 AM   #13
JackSpratts

70 degress here and sunny on saturday (21c). the all time high. it's the jet-stream they say. no-one's blaming global warming but no one's ever seen weather like this either. including me. nothing even close. the polar bear club held a silent protest on the beach. this time of year i'd be blowing soap bubbles outside and watching them shatter like glass after freezing instantly. instead trees are budding prematurely and i'm outdoors without a coat. it's disturbing on a huge scale.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 07:33 PM   #14
Nicobie

[quote=miss_silver;251925]Nicobie

QUOTE]

My ass is not even close to being big enough for my head. I have a tight & skinny butt.

However, I feel that no matter how inflated your head is, it will easily slip into your supersized (hehe) posterior.

(And for god's sake, I don't need pics either.)
Old 09-01-07, 09:14 PM   #15
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Arrow

[quote=Nicobie;251962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver View Post
Nicobie

QUOTE]

My ass is not even close to being big enough for my head. I have a tight & skinny butt.

However, I feel that no matter how inflated your head is, it will easily slip into your supersized (hehe) posterior.

(And for god's sake, I don't need pics either.)
Yes you can Dilweed, use some lube and it will do the trick. No I don't heat ATM, no I don't own a car and the only thing you can come up is with this lame reply?

Try again.
Old 09-01-07, 09:44 PM   #16
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
this time of year i'd be blowing soap bubbles outside and watching them shatter like glass after freezing instantly. - js.
that is the coolest thing i've never heard of...must give it a try sometime.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 04:21 AM   #17
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

How Nic would look.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-07, 08:43 AM   #18
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
70 degress here and sunny on saturday (21c). the all time high. it's the jet-stream they say. no-one's blaming global warming but no one's ever seen weather like this either. including me. nothing even close. the polar bear club held a silent protest on the beach. this time of year i'd be blowing soap bubbles outside and watching them shatter like glass after freezing instantly. instead trees are budding prematurely and i'm outdoors without a coat. it's disturbing on a huge scale.

- js.
It must drive the global warming nazis nuts when people are actually enjoying it.

Oil prices are dropping because less heating oil is being used and that's pissing off opec.

Municipal snow clearing budgets are going unspent.

More wild animals will survive the winter in the forests.

Oh the horrors of global warming!!!
Old 10-01-07, 11:37 AM   #19
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat View Post
How Nic would look.
hahaha
it's Harby ,has come back to haunt us
4:30 in the morning and I am sitting around in my shorts and tshirt with all the doors and windows open it's beautiful 30.4C (86.72F) outside
in a few hours it's going to be so stinking hot
probably 3-4 degrees more than they are predicting

but being this warm this early in the morning is a bit freaky

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote