P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 01-12-05, 11:44 PM   #1
RDixon

Default One Bird Flu Over The Coo Koo's Nest

The best media propagated fear tax dollars can buy?
Has the entire world gone stark raving mad?
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 12:07 AM   #2
JackSpratts

dunno, but w/a 50% mortality rate it's nothing to sneeze at! hmmm. pass the oxygen.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 01:56 AM   #3
RDixon

http://www.mercola.com/2005/oct/25/r..._flu_hoax.htm#

Skepticism is HEALTHY.

FEAR is not.
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 10:47 AM   #4
JackSpratts

ok, so he’s making two points. one, it isn’t going to materialize (because it hasn’t yet (!) it’s all a hoax designed to enrich rumsfeld), and two, taminflu doesn’t work. but then he loses credibility by saying well, it might materialize, and if it does, we should be prepared! so join the queue doc. that is all anyone responsible is saying as far as i can see.

see, i get worried when i listen to guys like him. the fact of the matter is that when the cross-species barrier is breached we don’t know what will happen. or when. it could be a deadly but essentially isolated event like sars, or basically a non-event like west nile, or it could be the 1919 worldwide flu pandemic all over again. waiting to see which way it’s going is like rolling into new orleans a week after the city’s flooded and saying gee it's really bad around here.

if your job is to protect the public, you’ve got to have the people and resources ready and in place before the event. trying to marshal them during the crisis is distracting or worse, and badly inefficient, even dangerous. you’re fighting things that have nothing to do with the jobs at hand: healing people, preventing further outbreaks. will workers stay home? venture outside? run the power plants and tv and radio stations, grocery stores, gas stations, trucking depots, hospitals, schools, water systems etc knowing that anything they touch could infect and possibly kill them and their families? who else will do it, the army? can you count on them if they’re sick? it’s estimated that 40% of the businesses have no plans in place at all to deal with these possibilities. if your job is to know this stuff, then preparing for it now could mean the difference between a successful campaign and another god awful mess like new orleans, except on a country-wide scale. as for panic, i’m not seeing any. there may be in-house chatter in medical circles but americans are calm. at thanksgiving among 20 well informed people over several days, no-one mentioned bird flu. at city hall this week it didn't come up. not only do i not see panic, i’m barely registering awareness among people, and i'm not sure how healthy that is. i did hear that cheap paper respiratory masks are selling well, and that’s good, because they happen to be effective at keeping you from touching your nose and mouth, the usual way these things gets transmitted from person to person, and they’re not too bad at keeping the globs away when somebody sneezes, so having a good supply on hand is a very cost effective precaution for a family. i consider that positive news, but i don't see anybody overreacting. if anything, they may be a little too serene.

as for tamiflu, i’ll pass on that and let the experts deal with it. i have heard it’s effective but who knows until it’s really put to the test? a good pneumonia shot can work wonders, that’s fact, since a lot of people get bacterial pneumonia as a consequence of the flu and die from that, some 50% of the fatalities or so. the shot prevents half of those deaths, and it can protect for 5-10 years. i went to get one last month during a flu clinic, but they said i was too young. anyone under 65 had to get a doctor’s permission. maybe that should change if they’re as effective as they say so more people can get them. dr mercola will be happy since i presume rumsfeld doesn’t make them, but maybe he does, and mercola will still be mad. maybe dr mercola will never be happy unless we all do what he says. maybe he’s one of those guys. maybe not, but i’ll be happy letting him do what he wants, if he lets me do what i want.

at the end of the day a pandemic is unlike anything else in this world. it’s not an earthquake, or a tsunami, or a hurricane. those are walks in the parks by comparison. a pandemic is a god awful nightmare that kills millions in the worst ways. yes they are extremly rare but they are not illusions, you only wish they are when they happen. i hope no one sees another like the one in 1918/19, but if we do, i hope at least some people had the foresight to do something real about the consequences.

as for an immune system that "laughs" in the face of danger, yeh well i’d love one of those too but gee, last i heard the mortality rate was still 100%, even for guys like rasputin. i mean mercola. i think i'll keep my shutters handy till this one blows over.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 12:43 PM   #5
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDixon
The best media propagated fear tax dollars can buy?
Has the entire world gone stark raving mad?
stark raving mad cow at least

http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...ad.php?t=22167

did you know the 1918 flu was rumored to start in ft reily kansas?

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/no...y_horror_1918/

Quote:
To prevent the spread of flu in Lawrence, the commander of KU’s Student Army Training Corps, or SATC, moved to shut down local theaters and movie houses and stationed uniformed troops at the entrances. In addition, KU students were prohibited from gathering in large groups, for fear the airborne disease would spread more quickly.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote