P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 23-03-05, 03:17 AM   #1
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Default Alternatives?

Given that the majority of political leaders seem hopelessly out of touch with the constituancy, do you ever forsee -in your lifetime- any possible alternative political parties gaining enough of a following to topple the Repubs and/or Dems?
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-05, 04:00 AM   #2
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

To be honest, I think your country is more likely to implode before it drags itself out of the two-party system. That is not meant to be a slate against the US - it's just that I really can't see how a country, so dependant on an antagonistic and diametric form of democracy, can ever begin to consider a genuine "third way" (I shudder when I use that term... it was Blair's phrase back in '97).

Culturally speaking, the US seems to revel in polarised and extremist debate - or at least, this is how things appear at a national level from the outsider perspective. There's a lot of frankly nasty bullshit spoken about the US and its sometimes difficult to get an accurate representation of US culture - especially one so diverse in a country so large. But to me, there appears to be a mindest of 'us and them' ingrained within US political culture - a mindset that permeates both internal and external US debates/policy, and is ultimately appealing in it's simplicity to mass media outlets that fuel debate.

Britain fares only a little better. We have three 'main' parties (with the usual compendium of greens, independants and fascists on the fringe) who tend to continually act like children, telling sneaky lies about the other parties, arguing with eachother and successfully avoiding coming close to a reasonable solution. Our media still plays the simplistic 'bounce one off the other' routine, but usually manages to do it with a greater degree of objectivity and lesser aggression (and without the sinister manipulation) than what I've viewed of US TV news.

Put simply, even if it was achievable, a third party won't necessarily solve the problem of aloof, cruddy politicians.

On a final note, you do actually have a third option.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-05, 06:06 AM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

the best-organized attempt at breaking out of the 2 party system is being conducted in New Hampshire by the Libertarians, in the form of the Free State Project:

Quote:
What the Free State Project is... The Free State Project is an effort to recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire. We are looking for neighborly, productive, tolerant folks from all walks of life, of all ages, creeds, and colors who agree to the political philosophy expressed in our Statement of Intent, that government exists at most to protect people's rights, and should neither provide for people nor punish them for activities that interfere with no one else.
it's a pretty simple idea and they are already having an small impact on the political structure there - if they can get their 20,000 people they need to make the move, it might begin to show some results in 5 or 10 years. if the results are positive ones, they can go national at some point.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-05, 07:24 PM   #4
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutrguy
Given that the majority of political leaders seem hopelessly out of touch with the constituancy, do you ever forsee -in your lifetime- any possible alternative political parties gaining enough of a following to topple the Repubs and/or Dems?
yes