P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 23-08-04, 05:00 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Decision 2004: You Make The Call

so who's gonna win the election?

70 some-odd days away... let's see which of you armchair generals is the savviest pundit. call it now and we'll see come November 2.

i think Bush is gonna squeak through - don't think Kerry got what it takes to convince the majority of the electorate. i hope i'm wrong (and in fact, i usually am about these things) but that's the way it looks from here.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-04, 05:34 PM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

i hope you are wrong too..
but somehow i dont think the conservatives are going to
risk upsetting their agenda here or in the US, that they have probably had in the works for the last 15 or so years...i dont think they have achieved their desired level of fear and disarray in what they percieve as the lowerclasses...

they will likely swindle their way through another election create a much more
of a mess of our political system..install more of the corporate rich to positions of power then allow themselves to lose ...to an opposition that will find it near to impossible to rectify any of the conditions created by these corupt sorry excuses for human beings..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-04, 05:54 PM   #3
Nicobie

Default Swindle

Did I read the word swindle....?

U think Kerry aint a thief?

hahahahahaah

Purple hearts for sale here..... oops i got a pimple, time for another ribbon

The dude scamed the gov in order to get out of the war.

It worked for him.
Old 23-08-04, 10:52 PM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I think Bush will win, this time with an unambiguous majority. However, the Dems will win majorities in both the house and senate, but the majority will be so slim that nothing will be accomplished. A do-nothing congress is a double edged sword: fairly benign in the fact that few new laws will be passed (which is good since we already have too many and new laws cannot grant new rights, they can only take them away), but in three years congress will face a budget crisis when they can't agree on which programs to cut and which taxes to hike, and of course Bush will take the blame for it. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
they will likely swindle their way through another election create a much more
of a mess of our political system..
I know you explained it to me before, but I'm still amused that citizens of other countries take our presidential elections so seriously. It isn't your political system, unless you're willing to live here and become an American.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-04, 11:49 PM   #5
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
I know you explained it to me before, but I'm still amused that citizens of other countries take our presidential elections so seriously. It isn't your political system, unless you're willing to live here and become an American.
Well... I guess it has something to do with the fact that American democracy is the 'model' for so many other democracies around the world, isnt it? You see, the world bends at your knee, awaiting the glorious outcome of your infallible election, desperate to integrate your democratic abilities into our own feeble, somewhat-lesser systems. That is why we take your elections so seriously. It also depends on where you live:

If you live in the UK or Australia, you'd like to know which country you'll be bombing next. I guess if you live in the middle-east, you'd be wondering whether to bother rebuilding your house. If you're living on planet earth, you'd probably take a passing interest at which talking-head you'll have to look at when being patronised.

Not only that, but if Bush is kicked out, I'm gonna have to change the head on my voodoo doll.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-04, 11:51 PM   #6
multi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi

the conservatives are not going to
risk upsetting their agenda here or in the US
sure i take an interest... we also have federal elections coming up here..
and i was refering to what they had done to the democratic political system here in order to support the US and its terror war and make aus terror targets too..conservative governments generaly like to destroy the publicly owned assets in society and kill off small business and only ever support big companies with often unseen changes that cant be undone by succedeing governments..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 24-08-04, 02:12 AM   #7
Gutrguy
Semiblind

I will be voting for Kerry, and i believe that he will win by a considerable amount.

I think that the american people as a whole are sick and tired of hearing about terror warning this and terror alert that and more dead US military in Iraq....i grew tired of it long ago.

Usless side fact...

From the first election of my life (born in December 1980, so that would be G. H. W. Bush in '88) I have picked the winner, yea its only been 4 times, but still 4 and 0 isnt bad. Im going with my gut here....we will see if i end up 5 and 0 or 4 and 1
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-04, 02:59 AM   #8
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutrguy

Usless side fact...

From the first election of my life (born in December 1980, so that would be G. H. W. Bush in '88) I have picked the winner, yea its only been 4 times, but still 4 and 0 isnt bad. Im going with my gut here....we will see if i end up 5 and 0 or 4 and 1

Im sure you liked Regan in 84 but you probably dont remember.
My voting record started 1988 (18) and I am 2-2. Good luck gutr I hope you are right again.

My prediction: John Edwards will be President.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-04, 04:53 AM   #9
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian slip

that's an interesting call....you mean Kerry will be unable to go the distance, for whatever reason, so Edwards will step in and win?
Old 24-08-04, 05:49 AM   #10
multi

Quote:

this guy has president writen all over him..

maybe in another decade or so

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 24-08-04, 06:30 AM   #11
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Default Somebody has too

Quote:
Somebody has too.

I would love to come and live in the states.
Tell me how.
Legally.
Did you know the U.K.is one of the only country's that it's citizens
Can't get permits in the 50,000 that are given out every year in
a lottery.
Yes I could come illegally.
(I was offered a job last year)
But I would like to do it properly.
Your labour laws are somewhat restricting I was told.
Local people first and all that.

Last edited by malvachat : 24-08-04 at 06:31 AM. Reason: .
malvachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-04, 07:30 AM   #12
multi

i was really refering to what consevative governments do to democratic countries generaly..if you follow the notion that the US ,UK and australia are a coalition of democratic countries caught up in some modern day crusades recruiting the next generation of terrorists by installing a rabid hate for western democracies
..its a psyops operation being waged against us by our leaders..basicly a smokescreen while they prop up more big business,diminsh your rights and let israel run rampant..
its too late to stop these fuckers they overtook any real opposition long ago..
but all in all ..what ever happens..eventualy some light will be shed on our seemingly domed future at the hands of madmen..and the light will be love..

Hymn 419
Lord of all being, throned afar,
thy glory flames from sun and star;
center and soul of every sphere,
yet to each loving heart how near!
Sun of our life, thy quickening ray
sheds on our path the glow of day;
star of our hope, thy softened light
cheers the long watches of the night.
Our midnight is thy smile withdrawn,
our noontide is thy gracious dawn,
our rainbow arch thy mercy's sign;
all, save the clouds of sin, are thine.
Lord of all life, below, above,
whose light is truth, whose warmth is love,
before thy ever-blazing throne
we ask no luster of our own.
Grant us thy truth to make us free,
and kindling hearts that burn for thee,
till all thy living altars claim
one holy light, one heavenly flame.
Words: Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1848

i prefer to watch fireworks from a distance..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 24-08-04, 02:36 PM   #13
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
that's an interesting call....you mean Kerry will be unable to go the distance, for whatever reason, so Edwards will step in and win?

Yes.
Old 24-08-04, 03:12 PM   #14
JackSpratts

Quote:
Yes.
maybe someone here knows but i'm not sure it works that way before the election. if kerry or bush dropped out or droped dead prior to election day, their vp's could still be elected - as vp's - but i think the prez would have to be chosen by congress (and i guess congress would choose a vp if it wanted). obviously after a presidential candidate's sworn in a vp assumes the office if said prez kicks the bucket, i just don't know if he does automatically before the guy's even elected.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-04, 03:37 PM   #15
naz
-

The 20th Amendment allows leaders of the party of the popular-vote winner to select a new presidential candidate if the winner dies before the Electoral College meets. The college would then vote on that selection. If the popular-vote winner dies after the college meets but before the inauguration, the winning candidate for vice president becomes president. Neither of these provisions has ever been applied.

http://www2.worldbook.com/features/p...html/roads.htm

Not exactly what you asked, but it implies a special convention to me
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-04, 05:00 PM   #16
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
maybe someone here knows but i'm not sure it works that way before the election. if kerry or bush dropped out or droped dead prior to election day, their vp's could still be elected - as vp's - but i think the prez would have to be chosen by congress (and i guess congress would choose a vp if it wanted). obviously after a presidential candidate's sworn in a vp assumes the office if said prez kicks the bucket, i just don't know if he does automatically before the guy's even elected.

- js.
if a candidate dies before the election, i would think all it takes is for the party in question to say "this is our new nominee". if they have time to move his name up to the top slot in the ballot, and if a majority of people pull the lever, that oughta be it, no?

soFloyd's scenario is something like Kerry drops out for some scandalous reason (or gets sick or dies, but a scandal seems more within the realm of possibility), Edwards becomes the de facto nominee and goes on to beat Bush. i like it

p.s. i mighta known this thread would end up in left field - shoulda just made it a poll
Old 24-08-04, 06:20 PM   #17
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts

- js.
another goverment worker out to raise taxes.

Hahahahahahaha, fur sure
Old 24-08-04, 08:15 PM   #18
JackSpratts

Quote:
if a candidate dies before the election, i would think all it takes is for the party in question to say "this is our new nominee". if they have time to move his name up to the top slot in the ballot, and if a majority of people pull the lever, that oughta be it, no?
well yeah, but it could take weeks to get that name on ballots. if he died close to election day they could forget about it.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-04, 03:34 AM   #19
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Quote:

p.s. i mighta known this thread would end up in left field - shoulda just made it a poll
whos on first though?

at least I made a prediction.

unlike others
Old 01-11-04, 01:24 PM   #20
theknife

i'll change my earlier assessment - i think Kerry is going to pull it out. i didn't think so when i started this thread in August but he's only gotten stronger while the Prez has not moved an inch.

electoral vote count:

Kerry 302
Bush 236