P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 04-07-04, 06:15 AM   #21
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

watched half of it last night....

regardless of what you think of Moore, the Bush/Bin Laden family connections raises eyebrows
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 09:40 AM   #22
Repo

I went to see Fahrenheit 9/11 and was surprised, not by the facts but by how well done the movie was compared to what I expected although I am not exactly sure what I expected. I found it refreshing, mainly because for the first time the facts about George W. Bush were laid out for everyone to see. The truth can be ugly but like it or not the facts are the facts. The Bush family has questionable ties to the Saudis, the bin Laden family and their money machine. There have been decisions made since 9/11 that should have everyone scratching their head. Michael Moore did an incredible job in Fahrenheit 9/11; the movie moved back and forth provoking spontaneous laughter and sadness while opening the eyes of the public to something the journalists never seemed to care about, those ugly facts...

The stars of the movie, the Bush Administration are shown having their television make-up applied. It is fitting as they have been acting for the entire 3 1/2 years. Some people have fallen for their performance others are not so naive as to believe their words on face value. The symbolism of the make-up was a nice touch. Fahrenheit 9/11 had plenty of humor and sorrow. I caught myself laughing out loud as an Iraq map burnt like the map of the Ponderosa and Bush and his gang along with Tony Blair rode up like the Cartwright family...

Bush himself seemed to make the audience laugh, his bumbling and ineptness of the English language and his confused facial expressions brought chuckles to many. It was hard not to laugh at how someone that powerful can be that pathetic in his basic everyday skills...

There were a few parts in the movie that I thought were very significant. The Christmas eve rousting of Iraqis by the United States military set to Bing Crosby singing Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town. The soldiers handcuffed and removed an Iraqi man from this home late at night while his family cried and Bing sang, "He's making a list, Checking it twice; Gonna find out who's naughty or nice." I am sure that the military was checking which Iraqis were naughty or nice. It was funny and sad at the same time; the military was in a dangerous situation searching for insurgents but yet many that were taken from their home were innocent people, they could have been the "nice" Bing sang about while the soldiers barged into private homes following orders from the naughty...

Although most of everything shown in Fahrenheit 9/11 I already knew, there was a few moments that even surprised me; such as when Moore was filming across the street from the Saudi Arabian Embassy. The Secret Service came to see what he was doing. They were polite but the fact that the Secret Service now protects the Saudis only demonstrates the influence they have over the Bush Administration. Which brings me to the bin Ladens and the other Saudis after 9/11 being given special treatment to fly out of the country without being interviewed by the FBI. The government couldn't connect the dots before 9/11 and directly afterwards they let a planeload of Saudis including members of bin Laden's family fly out of the country. Now the government says that there was no one of interest that they would have wanted to talk to on the planes. Sure they say that now because they dropped the ball. What are they going to say, "DOH!" The bin Laden family is a large family and no matter how much they disavow him one of them may have had at the very least his address, you know to send a birthday card. Osama is still on the run; maybe he wouldn't be had the FBI held some serious interviews with the Saudis but when you are buddies with the Bushs you are of no interest to the FBI. Moore also makes the point that the bin Laden family and the Bush family have the same investments and money man so maybe Bush wanted them out of the country while 9/11 was still seared into everyone's heart. If people knew the Bush/bin laden connection directly after 9/11 there might have been calls for his resignation....

Fahrenheit 9/11 is a movie everyone should see, especially Bush supporters; they should know his ties to the Saudis and their influence over him. Bush is an unsophisticated bumpkin with a close relationship to the Saudis. This is the leader of the free world and after seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 the free world should be worried...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 10:05 AM   #23
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Quote:
Bush himself seemed to make the audience laugh, his bumbling and ineptness of the English language and his confused facial expressions brought chuckles to many. It was hard not to laugh at how someone that powerful can be that pathetic in his basic everyday skills...
Just loved the way he kept saying ''Nukelar weapons'' instead of Nuclear. Also, the way he kept clutching at the book when the secret service told him what had just happened, staring in emptiness for about 7 mins while the childrens kept reading outloud the pet goat story...

He's the one who needs to be "smoked out" of his hiding place IMO

By opening his big mindless yap, he did say to Michael Moore to get a "Real Job"...Big mistake
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 07:38 AM   #24
JackSpratts

Arabs Riveted and Angered by 'Fahrenheit'
Neil MacFarquhar

CAIRO, Aug. 1 - When it opened last weekend in Beirut, "Fahrenheit 9/11" achieved the almost impossible: It silenced a movie audience. Although Beirut is the one capital in the region where almost all American films are shown with no censorship, screenings are somewhat more social affairs than elsewhere in the world, with people chattering on their cellphones or with their friends in the audience.

But the unheard of happened during the initial showings of the film, Michael Moore's angry documentary about President Bush. A cellphone began ringing, and the rest of the audience hissed loudly that the owner should shut it off, prompting virtually all the people in the rapt theater to whip out their phones and silence them, too.

Also unusual for an American documentary, the film is expected to receive wide play in the Arab world. It has already been in theaters for several weeks in the Persian Gulf, and censors in Syria and Egypt have approved the film, although no screenings have been scheduled in those countries.

A few critics have weighed in, arguing that Arabs should not be so gleeful about the movie's Bush bashing, given that the image of the region and its people that "Fahrenheit: 9/11" presents is not so positive.

Mamoun Fandy, an expert on Saudi Arabia based in Washington, wrote an op-ed article in Asharq Al Awsat, the Arabic newspaper in London, blasting the movie as racist and making faulty generalizations about Arabs, who, he argued, should not hail it as supporting their cause.

Kuwait barred the movie as offensive to its Saudi neighbors, and the Saudi ambassador to London, Prince Turki al-Faisal, was quoted in the London-based Arabic daily daily Al Hayat as saying the movie twisted the truth and was inadequately researched. (There are no movie theaters in Saudi Arabia, out of concern they would allow the forbidden mingling of the sexes, but the film is said to be widely circulated there via DVD.)

At the packed Beirut screenings many in the audience glued to the film said it showed them a way that America works with which they were unfamiliar. "What really struck me is how the American administration was able to manipulate the American people," said Leila Kanso, a 59-year-old social worker. "How can a government do that?"

Many said they wanted to know more about the reaction to the movie among Americans, who have bought more than $103 million in tickets.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/movies/04cair.html
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 06:03 PM   #25
Kris404
How may I help you?

Overall, this movie was pretty good except for two glaring omissions - Britain & Israel - like they didn't have much to do with the invasion of Iraq.
Kris404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 06:28 PM   #26
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris404
Overall, this movie was pretty good except for two glaring omissions - Britain & Israel - like they didn't have much to do with the invasion of Iraq.
So true Kris404, BTW, how are you these days Pretty sure that Michael Moore will address those issues in his next movie. Guess he didn't want to over do it in this movie, he was only trying to get his MAJOR point of view out. Read his next movie is going to be about Iraq War and why did the US & Great B got swept into it.

Have a nice night Kris
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 03:44 AM   #27
Kris404
How may I help you?

Hiya miss silver I think his next movie is about the health care system. While there was this talk that he might do a whole movie about Tony Blair's involvement, he quickly denied it. Would be great if he can do it though.

Call me a baby but there were atleast 3 tear-inducing moments (charred bodies, Iraqi woman cursing, family of deceased serviceman) and several WTF moments - one being W urging nations to fight terrorism, continuing the statement with "now watch this drive" as he takes a golf swing.

Though the make up bit at the opening titles was taken out of context (most politicians would do that at a TV appearance anyway), no one can brush off the other incidents (some mentioned above) and how the mainstream press didn't report them. The press had as much a role in this fiasco as the administration for failing to question the motives/decisions.

Good night miss silver
Kris404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-04, 06:54 AM   #28
Gutrguy
Semiblind

i know where a nice TS of this is, if anyone is interested
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-04, 12:16 PM   #29
Sinner
--------------------

Now here is a movie I am looking forward too...

'Michael Moore Hates America'

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/

"Michael Moore Hates America," a documentary that challenges the leftist filmmaker, received a huge response at the American Film Renaissance festival in Dallas, packing out two showings and eliciting a 10-minute standing ovation.

"That crowd response was bigger than anything I've seen in a theater in my life," Jim Hubbard, the co-founder of the festival, told WorldNetDaily. The festival ran from Sept. 10-12.
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=40430
Old 07-10-04, 01:28 PM   #30
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Now here is a movie I am looking forward too...
'Michael Moore Hates America'
I trust it will be a fulfilling experience both artistically and ideologically for you. 10 minute standing ovation in Dallas and all!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 05:27 PM   #31
Nicobie

Default :)

Carefull TG what u ask for.

u like to wipe upwards or down?

Don't laugh too loud.................................,

when they pass another law. It could be that this time you won't like it.
Old 21-10-04, 03:48 PM   #32
Sinner
--------------------

-----------“Celsius 41.11” is a perfect response to Moore’s “documentary,” in that it exposes just how divided the anti-war activists are and how they really missed the message from the war. Example: on the trailer, some woman is talking about how she would want a dictator who gives her free healthcare or free education. Great, but what about living in fear of torture or execution, or not being able to speak your own opinion, or being forced to live in poverty as your “benevolent leader” squanders all your money on himself and his repugnant sub-human sons? I’m sure this is just one example out of many in this film. I urge everyone to take a look at the site and check out the trailer: http://www.celsius4111.com -------------
Old 21-10-04, 04:17 PM   #33
theknife

Quote:
-----------“Celsius 41.11” is a perfect response to Moore’s “documentary,” in that it exposes just how divided the anti-war activists are and how they really missed the message from the war. Example: on the trailer, some woman is talking about how she would want a dictator who gives her free healthcare or free education. Great, but what about living in fear of torture or execution, or not being able to speak your own opinion, or being forced to live in poverty as your “benevolent leader” squanders all your money on himself and his repugnant sub-human sons? I’m sure this is just one example out of many in this film. I urge everyone to take a look at the site and check out the trailer: http://www.celsius4111.com -------------
and?

only in the mind of the Far Right does Moore's film require a "response" - they give his film far too much credit...it's propaganda, most people recognize that, and it's biased by definition. obviously, the "response" is gonna be cut from the same cloth.
Old 22-10-04, 08:37 AM   #34
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
and?

only in the mind of the Far Right does Moore's film require a "response" - they give his film far too much credit...it's propaganda, most people recognize that, and it's biased by definition. obviously, the "response" is gonna be cut from the same cloth.

I disagree, one thing I find is the fact many Americans and Canadians are really not that bright and they get there news and political info from movies like Moore's. Yes it is propaganda and it has been used before, Germany in the 1930's for example. I am not comparing America today to Germany in the 30's either. Just trying to balance it out, If you liked F9/11 maybe you should see one of these other movies to get a different view and info. Only in the mind of a far left coast liberal would question this kind of "response"
Old 22-10-04, 03:46 PM   #35
theknife

Quote:
I disagree, one thing I find is the fact many Americans and Canadians are really not that bright and they get there news and political info from movies like Moore's. Yes it is propaganda and it has been used before, Germany in the 1930's for example. I am not comparing America today to Germany in the 30's either. Just trying to balance it out, If you liked F9/11 maybe you should see one of these other movies to get a different view and info. Only in the mind of a far left coast liberal would question this kind of "response"
as you may have guessed, from various oblique references i may have made over the past year or two, that i am not a fan of the president...

but i can honestly tell you that i d/l'ed Farenheit 9/11 in two parts....and never got past the first part. it wasn't even a question of like or dislike - it was interesting, but it wasn't particularly compelling....and ultimately, i deleted the second part without ever seeing it (i needed the HD space).

so you're probably right, in that someone who really bought into the movie should see the response, but my feeling that anyone with reasonable critical thinking skills should have come to their own conclusions a long time ago without the help of a movie. of course this may not describe the average American voter, either
Old 22-10-04, 05:51 PM   #36
JackSpratts

as i walked into the theater to see f/911 a bush fanatic buttonholed and me to give me "w's side of the story." i said "bush has been giving us his side for four years, what is there to add? we're aware of 'his side' of the story. it's coming up short."

i mean, they must think this movie arrived in a vacuum, instead of as a direct response to bucketsfull of lies, mismanagement and bald failures after failures.

if you like the way he runs things then at this point there's nothing more to say. god help you and us all and go ahead and vote for the freak. for the rest of the planet praying for a change, it's time to vote for kerry.

- js.
Old 22-10-04, 06:20 PM   #37
JackSpratts

Lowering the Subtlety of Political Discourse
Manohla Dargis

If you didn't know where the new film "Celsius 41.11" was coming from you certainly get the picture when the filmmakers cut from an image juxtaposing Michael Moore with Hitler straight to an image of John Kerry and John Edwards. If the juxtaposition weren't so shameless, if the political climate were not so scurrilous, if the country were not actively at war and men, women and children were not dying in that war, this composite triumvirate of Moore-Hitler-Kerry might be easy to laugh off. As it is, it's a depressing indicator of our political discourse and what passes as nonfiction film these days.

Directed by Kevin Knoblock, who has mainly knocked around cable television, and written and produced by Lionel Chetwynd and Ted Steinberg, "Celsius 41.11" was made, according to a press release issued by Citizens United, the group that produced the film, "to refute the propaganda in Michael Moore's `Fahrenheit 9/11.' " On a basic level, this new feature is simply another addition to the mini-industry of detractors that has sprung up around Mr. Moore and taken on a more feverish pitch since his most recent screen success. This curious mini-industry includes the book "Michael Moore Is a Big Fat Stupid White Man," written by the Moore detractors David T. Hardy and Jason Clarke, who both appear in yet another anti-Moore film, "Fahrenhype 9/11."

Unlike "Fahrenhype 9/11," which makes a dedicated effort to disprove some of the major claims in "Fahrenheit 9/11" (the Bush family's alleged ties to Saudi Arabia's ruling elites, for instance), the filmmakers behind "Celsius 41.11" spend surprisingly little time actually going after Mr. Moore. What Mr. Knoblock, Mr. Chetwynd and Mr. Steinberg want to do with their movie is make you afraid — very, very afraid. And so, in between talking heads expounding on American policy and international politics and extolling the vision and virtues of President Bush (commentators include the Weekly Standard executive editor Fred Barnes, the American Enterprise Institute scholar Michael A. Ledeen and, rather less to the film's credit, the critic Michael Medved), the film presents a vision of the world verging on the apocalyptic.

Less savvy propagandists than Mr. Moore, the "Celsius 41.11" filmmakers apply their thesis with a trowel. The film opens with the image of the second World Trade Center tower being hit by a plane, and returns to the attack, with the towers in flames and then tumbling, again and again. The filmmakers make their political line of reasoning clear when they soon follow this Sept. 11 imagery with snippets of antiwar demonstrations. One nitwit protester defends dictatorship (she is for it if it means health care for everyone), a slice of loony nonsense that is followed by images of dead children. As with most of the news material folded into "Celsius 41.11," it is impossible to know who these children are or who killed them. Other images, including that of a woman in a burka being executed, remain similarly unidentified.

This sort of sloppy cut-and-paste strategy is not exclusive to "Celsius 41.11." Mr. Moore's arguments in "Fahrenheit 9/11," for one, would be more persuasive if he were more exacting and forthcoming about the found material he uses. But Mr. Moore's presumed faults as a filmmaker and as an openly left muckraker have no bearing on "Celsius 41.11" or its worth as a film.

A didactic screed that has all the verve of a PowerPoint presentation and all the subtlety of a Homeland Security red alert, "Celsius 41.11" is finally interesting only because it represents another unconvincing effort on the part of conservatives to mount a viable critique of Mr. Moore. It also suggests that the right's gifts for spinning ideology into compelling narrative, so evident during the Reagan administration, have gone missing.

"Celsius 41.11" also proves that watching is not necessarily enough when it comes to nonfiction film, a rule that is true for every film of every political stripe, even to those without an ostensible agenda. The truth of that dictum is most egregiously evident in "Celsius 41.11" with Mansoor Ijaz, one of its most alarmist talking heads, who is initially introduced simply as a "terrorism expert."

During the film's scant one hour and 12 minutes, Mr. Ijaz's opinions were strong enough to provoke my curiosity. This is, after all, a terrorism expert who freely delivers blunt opinions like the Arab world "only understands strength" and expounds on the "absolute nonsense" of the Clinton administration.

So who is Mr. Ijaz? Well, among other things, he is a nuclear physicist and chairman of Crescent Investment Management. In a 1997 interview with Mr. Ijaz published in The Washington Post, Crescent was described as having a $2.7 billion investment portfolio, much of it on behalf of Middle East governments. Mr. Ijaz said that he was particularly interested in new oil field development. Sudan, with moderate reserves estimated at 3.5 billion barrels, is expected to become a petroleum exporter soon, and Mr. Ijaz said he hoped to manage some of Khartoum's foreign investment of oil profits.

The "Celsius 41.11" filmmakers do not reveal the degree to which Mr. Ijaz is invested in the Middle East or just how intimately familiar he was with the nonsense of the Clinton White House. In a 1997 article in The New York Times about the recently ended campaign-finance hearings (led by another of the film's talking heads, a thoughtful Fred Thompson), Jill Abramson wrote, "Sometimes a donor gets, in return for his efforts, a slap in the face. Mansoor Ijaz, a New York businessman, raised more than $500,000 for the Democratic cause and met with senior officials in the White House, the State Department and Congress to push for normalizing ties with Sudan, where Mr. Ijaz has business interests. Last week, the State Department announced stiffer sanctions against Sudan for sponsoring international terrorism."

The filmmakers state that the title "Celsius 41.11" represents "the temperature at which the brain begins to die." It's unclear if they intend for the title to represent what happens when you watch Mr. Moore's film or their own, or whether it's simply some sort of elegant and pointed self-diagnosis.
http://movies2.nytimes.com/2004/10/2...es/22CELS.html

"Celsius 41.11: The Temperature at Which the Brain Begins to Die" is rated R (Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian). It includes graphic, upsetting violence.

Celsius 41.11
The Temperature at Which the Brain Begins to Die

Opens today nationwide

Directed by Kevin Knoblock; written and produced by Lionel Chetwynd and Ted Steinberg; based on the books "The Many Faces of John Kerry" and "Intelligence Failure: How Clinton's National Security Policy Set the Stage for 9/11" by David Bossie; edited by Michael Hilton and John Tracy; released by Citizens United. Running time: 71 minutes. This film is rated R.

WITH: Tony Calabrese (Narrator) and Fred Barnes, Michael Barone, Barbara Comstock, Alice Fisher, Mansoor Ijaz, Charles Krauthammer, Michael A. Ledeen, Michael Medved, Joshua Muravchik, John O'Neill, Bill Sammon, Fred Thompson and Victoria Toensing.
Old 22-10-04, 10:02 PM   #38
theknife

whether we're talking about Moore, or this guy Knoblick, or Ann Coulter or Limbaugh, Hannity, Franken, O'Reilly et al - at the end of the day, it's a gig for them - and a very well-paying one, at that. certainly some degree of passion had to give them all a shove down the path they have taken in life, but somewhere a little further along the way, they all discovered the same thing: you can get an audience in this country by appealing to the ignorance and fears of a small segment of the population and you can make a pretty decent living by telling them exactly what they want to hear. it's not a new concept - Father Coughlin perfected the schtick back in the 20's and 30's...Joe McCarthy made a career out of it in the 50's. unfortunately, it has come to represent the median for political dialogue in this country, rather than the extreme that it is.

Jon Stewart called it exactly right in his tiff with Carlson and Begala on CossFire...his appearance was, for all intents and purposes, a public service announcement. he had a book to pitch, but instead of playing the game, he kicked the media punditocracy right in the balls. i'll bet Tucker Carlson is still limping.
Old 22-10-04, 10:19 PM   #39
albed
flippin 'em off

I still don't see what libs think is so great about Stewart's bitchiness. I'd expect an intelligent person to come up with a more sophisticated way of calling someone a dick, or given that Stewart's a comic, at least a funny way, but instead you see the behaviour of a ten year old brat. Lame.
Old 23-10-04, 09:52 AM   #40
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
I still don't see what libs think is so great about Stewart's bitchiness. I'd expect an intelligent person to come up with a more sophisticated way of calling someone a dick, or given that Stewart's a comic, at least a funny way, but instead you see the behaviour of a ten year old brat. Lame.
the only thing that gave Stewart's appearance a lib/con flavor is the fact that Begala had the sense to keep his mouth shut for most of the interview. Carlson was condescending ("c'mon - be funny") , Stewart refused to play ("i won't be your monkey"). Stewart (the comedian) wanted to do issues...Carlson (the journalist) wanted entertainment. thats a pretty striking contrast and if you want a cross section of opinions on it, Google it - the consensus is that it was probably the most refreshing moment of the campaign season.