P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 08-02-04, 07:14 PM   #1
Nicobie

Default This is for u hard ass Conservatives & bleedin' hearts

There is another way U know...

RIGHT ON TARGET: Randy Alcorn

Another election year is upon us, and everywhere are the surly sounds of acrimony and recrimination as candidates for public office denigrate each other and affect indignation over the conduct of their political foes.

The combative histrionics of politicians are so transparent it's hard to believe anyone really takes them seriously -- but then, lots of folks love to watch professional wrestling.

And, it seems that is what American politics has become, a form of gaudy entertainment. In the corner to the right, wearing money-green trunks, and wrestling for the conservative cause, we have the Republicans. In the corner to the left, wearing the bleeding-heart red trunks and wrestling for the liberal cause, we have the Democrats.

Let's get ready to rrrrrum-ble!

Listening to the radio, watching TV, or reviewing the best-seller list, one gets the impression that American politics have deteriorated into a choice between two extreme, mutually exclusive ideologies, each contending that the other is absolutely wrong, even evil. The conservatives dominate the radio venue while the liberals dominate much of network TV and the big-city press. Each side has its own best-selling authors whose books are often derisive, bitter indictments of the other side. There are numerous TV talk shows dedicated to political polemics that are all too often devoid of civil debate. Late night variety talk shows, hosted by sardonic wits, have become the source of political education for many Americans. A timely salvo of glib sarcasms from these clever clowns can cripple a candidate's political career.

All of this nonsense might be tolerable if it actually addressed the critical problems confronting America, but rarely does any of this bitter debate and bombastic diatribe result in effective resolutions to real problems. Rather, it is a contest to see which side can recruit more adherents to its particular brand of zealotry. Once enlisted, each side's devoted followers limit critical thought to the jargon and dogma of the party line. Each side is so convinced of the righteousness of its particular ideology that it will reject, or conceal, any facts or logic that conflicts with that ideology, often launching a barrage of spittle-flecked, invective recriminations to camouflage irrefutable facts or to interrupt opposing arguments.

Most Americans are political infidels who worship neither political party and, apparently, want neither of them to dominate government. Over the years, independent voters seem to have adopted a strategy of mutual deterrence, shifting allegiance between the two parties just often enough to prevent either party from dominating government too long and really screwing things up.

Although, in recent decades, the Democrats have dominated Congress, Republicans seem to get more mileage out of their tenures in power. Perhaps because they know their imperium is usually shorter, Republicans impose their agenda on the nation with a certain desperate efficiency.

The problem with the mutual deterrence strategy, however, is that regardless of which party is in power, the results are always the same. Government gets bigger at the expense of personal freedom and taxpayers' incomes. The Democrats want us all to live like over-protected children of benign, enlightened parents, sharing our wealth with the less fortunate who are somehow entitled to it. Of course, they'll handle the redistribution and keep us all in line. The Republicans, meanwhile, are living in a John Wayne movie and want us all to attend church every Sunday, work hard, especially for them, and keep a little more of what we earn. Of course, they'll be certain to keep the most, and with a formidable police force and the help of God, who I am told is a Republican these days, they'll keep us all in line.

Government ceased serving the best interests of the entire nation when public service became a career rather than a tour of duty. It has become the feed stall where politicians, bureaucrats and well-financed special interests fatten up on taxpayers' money. The Democrats and Republicans perpetuate this situation. They are shameless opportunists who use the invective demagoguery of the two-party system to induce voters to keep them in office.

These political sophists aren't interested in objective facts and impartial reasoning. Honest civil debate is too risky for them. It could mislead the citizenry into demanding logical decisions and reasonable policies that might deviate from the party agenda.

The voting statistics indicate that many Americans reject or ignore politics. They don't vote. Many Americans who do vote do so based on misleading propaganda from the two entrenched parties. That limits understanding of issues to stereotypes, sound bites and distortions. This will continue until the media includes other voices into the political forum and insists on conducting fair and civil debates among all of them.

Ideologues believe in absolutes, but life is not static and truths can change with expanding knowledge. Frank voices of common sense need to be heard above the din of the current two-ring circus. Imagine a party whose candidates examine each issue on its merits, without reference to some stagnant ideology; a party that really supports constitutional freedoms, ignores self-serving special interests and acts in the best interests of the entire nation.

Imagine a party that actually confronts the real problems facing this nation and employs impartial logic to arrive at reasonable solutions.

The Democrats and Republicans continue to demonstrate that they are not that party, but they don't want any other competition in the political arena. They've been allowed to monopolize political power, and to reduce all issues to a choice between simplified ideologies of the left and the right. They have perpetuated the notion that a vote for any other party but their own is a wasted vote that only risks helping the other "evil" party in the two-ring circus.

But, it is never a waste when well-informed citizens vote their consciences. It is healthy democracy. Americans must realize the gravity of their responsibility to maintain the health of our democratic republic and the opportunity and freedom it provides for today's Americans as well as tomorrow's. We need another choice. We need a new party.

Randy Alcorn is the director of operations/CFO of the News-Press. The opinions in this column are Mr. Alcorn's and not those of the newspaper. Readers may e-mail him at ralcorn@newspress.com.
Old 08-02-04, 07:59 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Ideologues believe in absolutes, but life is not static and truths can change with expanding knowledge. Frank voices of common sense need to be heard above the din of the current two-ring circus. Imagine a party whose candidates examine each issue on its merits, without reference to some stagnant ideology; a party that really supports constitutional freedoms, ignores self-serving special interests and acts in the best interests of the entire nation.
good article, Nic. and right on the money...

seems like there is about 20% on the left and 20% on the right that dominate the national political discussion...and they get away with defining the issues because of the 60% in the middle who are too uninformed and/or too apathetic to grasp the real issues.

so all we hear are the voices of the idealogues - the political fundamentalists...and the two parties can focus on wooing them coz they're the ones who get out and vote.

my gf is Brazilian...and where she comes from, voting is mandatory. it's not a bad idea. requiring people to participate in the civic process is nothing new here - it's done every day with jury duty. why not require people to participate in voting, which is the most elementary civic duty in a democracy? if everyone was required to vote, there would be little to gain politically by appealing to the idealogues, coz they would no longer be the majority of voters in any given election.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-04, 08:21 PM   #3
Nicobie

Thanx Knife,

I thought it was a good one too.

In all these years this is my 1st cut&paste.

It pissed me off when it got moved within 2 minutes.

For doG's sake, it wasn't even political.
Old 08-02-04, 09:48 PM   #4
ab-NORM-al
Dreaming of ULTIMATE p2p file sharing....yup yup!

the two scariest phrases in the world...to me, anyway

"freedom of choice" and "majority rule"

luv alla yuz
ab-NORM-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 12:11 AM   #5
cheapprick

Quote:
my gf is Brazilian...and where she comes from, voting is mandatory. it's not a bad idea. requiring people to participate in the civic process is nothing new here - it's done every day with jury duty. why not require people to participate in voting, which is the most elementary civic duty in a democracy? if everyone was required to vote, there would be little to gain politically by appealing to the ideologues, coz they would no longer be the majority of voters in any given election.

Is it not possible that many don't bother to vote because they feel disenfranchised or even too acknowledgeable to vote? Forcing those people to vote doesn't sound like an ideal situation. The protest vote could see some real prizes hit office.

Doesn't Australia have mandatory voting? Maybe the big cheeses can add a little input into how that's working.
cheapprick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 02:10 AM   #6
multi
Thanks for being with arse

its ment to be compulsory but i never voted till i was 30 and never got any fine or anything..theres plenty of people here that dont vote and object to voting..

mostly young ppl..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 02:33 AM   #7
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Mandatory voting would be an excellent idea, providing they took a lesson from Montgomery Brewster. I'd love to finally see the day when an election card has boxes for all the representative parties/individuals, then a box at the bottom that says:

"None of the above. Not a single one represents the best interests of my country, my person or even the cans of dog food in my cupboard"

Apathy and disillusionment with politics is entirely justifiable. The party syestem has served it's purpose and now hangs around like some greedy, obese, self-important and argumentative arse (with this analogy, you might want to imagine the left and right buttocks as the respective parties, with the bumhole being the 'portal of truth'. Ha ha... I'm making this analogy up as I go along... These buttocks have been clenched for quite some time in an effort to hold back the truth, and will soon lose their strength).

I love it when politicians ask the rhetorical question of why people 'fail' to vote? If ever there was a question asked, who's answer was so obvious and indicting, it's this one. Some people 'fail' to vote - others choose.

Long live bum cramps and leaky farts.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 03:39 AM   #8
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Some folks (here in California) used to not register to vote in order to avoid jury duty. However, this practice doesn't work anymore as other information sources (such as driver license data) are also used to gather names for jury duty.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 06:14 PM   #9
Nicobie

Default i would like to take this moment to

rag a bit.