P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 28-10-03, 04:05 PM   #21
multi
Thanks for being with arse

whats ignorant ..you better point that out..
you pair of contrary fairies are making your selves look dumber than what i think you are....

world history is focused on wars...
i dont like it..fucking war SUCKS...
live with it...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-03, 04:11 PM   #22
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by multi
whats ignorant ..you better point that out..
you pair of contrary fairies are making your selves look dumber than what i think you are....
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.
- Socrates

Quote:
world history is focused on wars...
i dont like it..fucking war SUCKS...
live with it...

Live with war? Like I have a choice. Maybe world history is focused on war because it is a huge part of World History. Look up the discovery of America for example, there will be some mention of war against native americans....etc etc...

Whats next, you hate astronomy because they focus to much time teaching about stars?
Old 28-10-03, 04:25 PM   #23
multi

every dozen or so threads i give you dickheads what you want....
pointless repetitve forum drama..

and haha at slander....

i think i got slandered as soon as i voiced a opinion as a trying to be a neo-intellectual did i not...

war sucks ..its my opinion..live with it..is all i ment

i know you try to sound like yours is the only opinion that counts or has any real meaning or sense...but its BS repetitive dogma...
and every so often you can be sure i will voice my opinion..
that you can also live with...

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 28-10-03, 11:25 PM   #24
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

A history book that doens't detail or even mention war would be a very thin book. It's important to study war, especially if you want to prevent it.

At any rate, it's not history that revolves around war, it's historians that do. You'll find very few knowledgeable historians who were not soldiers at one time. As any soldier would, these guys wish to put an end to all war, so they try to educate others on the subject. Most civilians don't feel that same sense of civic duty, hence they don't write history books.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-03, 12:04 AM   #25
naz
-

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
You'll find very few knowledgeable historians who were not soldiers at one time.
I'm not convinced by that statement.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-03, 06:36 AM   #26
multi

I ACTUALLY DONT HATE HISTORY...NOT THAT I EVER SAID I DID..

Quote:
A history book that doens't detail or even mention war would be a very thin book. It's important to study war, especially if you want to prevent it.
now theres a point..
all these war memorials and stuff..sort of have the same premise always remember...those that were lost so it doesnt happen again..ok
thats al very well and good...but WTF does it do ...nothing..it just keeps ingraining it into the minds and the psyches, generation after generation...its just
another one of these things that one day humans will look back on as some bizarre peice of history...like we look back on the gladitors in ancient rome..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 29-10-03, 09:00 AM   #27
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Think about it Naz. There's two kinds or historians, those that were there to experience the things they write about, and those that rewrite the things they've read in other history books. Take Troy for instance, it's history was recounted by soldiers who fought in that war, which in turn was recounted by a Greek poet, which in turn was rewritten by a Roman historian, which in turn was kept by an Arab scholar, which in turn was translated by a Roman Catholic priest, and so on and so on... It has been transformed over the centuries and turned into this great epic with magic and heroism, so that it's now called a myth. But when the city was finally found, there lay in the ruins evidence of the events that were written of in the story we have today.

Did those people who rewrote that story over and over really know what they were talking about? They weren't there to witness those events. But they think that because they've read two or three books offering different points of view that they have the big picture and they can interpret history correctly. Events either took place or they didn't, there's no room for interpretation. But war historians who have fought in their own wars have shared similar experiences with the people they write about, so they have a unique point of view. They may not have been there to see it for themselves, but they understand the thoughts and feelings of the people who were there.

It's true, Multi, that some historians focus on the battles and the tactics that were used in a war, but others focus on the events leading up to the war, and the events following. Those are the books worth reading. They don't engrain their readers with warlike ideas, they teach about the failures and triumphs of civilization. The battles themselves may become bizzare pieces of history, but the events in between must not be forgotten along with them.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote