P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 17-08-07, 07:31 PM   #21
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default Some of the credit should be given to FDR

First New Deal, 1933–1934

Roosevelt's "First 100 Days" concentrated on the first part of his strategy: immediate relief. From March 9 to June 16, 1933, he sent Congress a record number of bills, all of which passed easily. To propose programs, Roosevelt relied on leading Senators such as George Norris, Robert F. Wagner and Hugo Black, as well as his own Brain Trust of academic advisers. Like Hoover, he saw the Depression as partly a matter of confidence, caused in part by people no longer spending or investing because they were afraid to do so. He therefore set out to restore confidence through a series of dramatic gestures.

FDR's natural air of confidence and optimism did much to reassure the nation. His inauguration on March 4, 1933 occurred in the middle of a bank panic, hence the backdrop for his famous words: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."[16] The very next day he declared a "bank holiday" and announced a plan to allow banks to reopen. However, the number of banks that opened their doors after the "holiday" was less than the number that had been open before.[17] This was his first proposed step to recovery.
Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother depicts destitute pea pickers during the depression in California, centering on Florence Owens Thompson, a mother of seven children, age 32, March 1936.
Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother depicts destitute pea pickers during the depression in California, centering on Florence Owens Thompson, a mother of seven children, age 32, March 1936.

* Relief measures included the continuation of Hoover's major relief program for the unemployed under the new name, Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The most popular of all New Deal agencies, and Roosevelt's favorite, was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), which hired 250,000 unemployed young men to work on rural local projects. Congress also gave the Federal Trade Commission broad new regulatory powers and provided mortgage relief to millions of farmers and homeowners. Roosevelt expanded a Hoover agency, the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, making it a major source of financing to railroads and industry. Roosevelt made agriculture relief a high priority and set up the first Agricultural Adjustment Administration (AAA). The AAA tried to force higher prices for commodities by paying farmers to take land out of crops and to cut herds.

* Reform of the economy was the goal of the National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) of 1933. It tried to end cutthroat competition by forcing industries to come up with codes that established the rules of operation for all firms within specific industries, such as minimum prices, agreements not to compete, and production restrictions. Industry leaders negotiated the codes which were then approved by NIRA officials. Industry needed to raise wages as a condition for approval. Provisions encouraged unions and suspended anti-trust laws. The NIRA was found to be unconstitutional by unanimous decision of the U.S. Supreme Court on May 27, 1935. Roosevelt opposed the decision, saying "The fundamental purposes and principles of the NIRA are sound. To abandon them is unthinkable. It would spell the return to industrial and labor chaos."[18] In 1933, major new banking regulations were passed. In 1934, the Securities and Exchange Commission was created to regulate Wall Street, with 1932 campaign fundraiser Joseph P. Kennedy in charge.

* Recovery was pursued through "pump-priming" (that is, federal spending). The NIRA included $3.3 billion of spending through the Public Works Administration to stimulate the economy, which was to be handled by Interior Secretary Harold Ickes. Roosevelt worked with Republican Senator George Norris to create the largest government-owned industrial enterprise in American history, the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), which built dams and power stations, controlled floods, and modernized agriculture and home conditions in the poverty-stricken Tennessee Valley. The repeal of prohibition also brought in new tax revenues and helped him keep a major campaign promise.

Roosevelt tried to keep his campaign promise by cutting the regular federal budget, including 40% cuts to veterans' benefits and cuts in overall military spending. He removed 500,000 veterans and widows from the pension rolls and slashed benefits for the remainder. Protests erupted, led by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Roosevelt held his ground, but when the angry veterans formed a coalition with Senator Huey Long and passed a huge bonus bill over his veto, he was defeated. He succeeded in cutting federal salaries and the military and naval budgets. He reduced spending on research and education—there was no New Deal for science until World War II began.

Roosevelt also kept his promise to push for repeal of Prohibition. In April 1933, he issued an Executive Order redefining 3.2% alcohol as the maximum allowed. That order was followed up by Congressional action in the drafting and passage of the 21st Amendment later that year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankli...3.E2.80.931934

Oh yeh ..the topic

The two dozen crooks that tried to pull off this coup against FDR were allowed to freely devise the corrupt system of government that run the country now.

Quote:
The shocking results of the investigation were promptly scotched and stashed in the National Archives. While the coup attempt was reported at the time in a few newspapers, including The New York Times, the story disappeared from public memory shortly after the Congressional findings were made available to president Roosevelt.
how the fuck did that get to happen?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-07, 04:04 AM   #22
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Maybe you should all read,
"The ragged trousered philanthropist"
Then decide on a point of view.
Old 18-08-07, 04:15 AM   #23
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernarial View Post
Oh shit. What did I get myself into.

Yes, I am making class distinctions. It is just my commie indoctinated opinion that it all boils down to those that do the grunt work.
So you think of horses, steam engines, diesel engines and robots as a class? Kind of odd and it shows how dated your commie indoctrination is, but give them a big cheer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernarial View Post
So, Sinner, you could say that WW2 pulled America out of the depression, but I prefer to see WW2 and an unfortunate event that the american worker(some turned military) was able to handle even after they had suffered through most of the great depression.
I think we are just splitting hairs here. Governments and politicians pass acts and make descisions high up on the hill. What I wanna know is who does the actual work. Now I'm not trying to say that running a country is an easy job. I just believe that the average worker is more important to the sucess of a nation in almost every endeavor. So you say the MIC(military industrial complex) carried us out of the depression and through the world war and the cold war after that. I say the American worker. Thats why I was trying to make a distinction between business and people. Of course there is a sort of sybiotic relationship there, but I think the worker would survive without business, but the business would not survive without the worker.
You seem just like the dumb racists dividing people into groups and judging theirs to be superior. What's a worker who's not working? What's a worker who starts his own business? Have you ever ventured out into the real world? You wouldn't be able to tell a worker from a business owner if they were both kicking you in the head. And they both would because you're such a warped idiot. America isn't divided into those stupid "classes" Marx bitched about 150 years ago and if you pulled your head out of your ass for 30 seconds you might realize that. But you got indoctrinated with propaganda instead of educated with reality and you "prefer to see" things the way you've been told to instead of the way they really are so you're destined to be a bitter loser thinking you're barred from being successful because you aren't in the right "class" instead of knowing that intelligence, courage and effort could get you wealth just like anyone else in the free, classless american society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
Oh yeh ..the topic

The two dozen crooks that tried to pull off this coup against FDR were allowed to freely devise the corrupt system of government that run the country now.

Quote:
The shocking results of the investigation were promptly scotched and stashed in the National Archives. While the coup attempt was reported at the time in a few newspapers, including The New York Times, the story disappeared from public memory shortly after the Congressional findings were made available to president Roosevelt.
how the fuck did that get to happen?
It'll always be a mystery to you because your fucked up little brain just can't distinguish between what it wants to be true and what really is true.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-07, 04:25 AM   #24
multi

so are you saying it didn't happen then ?

I think you might be the one that is deluded

fucking idiot... you think you can just pass that off as some sort of statment... get you head outa ya arse ya fool

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 18-08-07, 05:16 AM   #25
multi

Quote:
The difference between FDR and his Republican antagonists was far greater than the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats today. Today's Democrats have internalized and identified with the interests of those whom they should be actively mobilizing the population against. The Republocrats are now all of them heir to the fascist instincts inherent in the ruling elite. Republican elites manifest this in their policies as the party in power; Democratic elites evidence their unsavory class heritage by railing ritualistically against the Republicans even as they betray their fed-up constituencies by supporting the fundamental policies of their alleged "opponents".
It certainly is starting to look that way

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 18-08-07, 06:27 AM   #26
albed
flippin 'em off

Go to a psychiatrist multi and show him all the stupid conspiracy bullshit you're so fond of rolling in like a pig in muck and if he's compentent he'll diagnose you as a classic paranoid schizophrenic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/par...hrenia/DS00862
Quote:
People with paranoid schizophrenia hold untrue beliefs (delusions)

If you're really interested in learning the truth about something you'll go to websites from reputable organizations and universities instead of the stupid crackpots you get your bullshit from. But I don't think you're interested in the truth.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-07, 12:02 PM   #27
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

"If you're really interested in learning the truth about something you'll go to websites from reputable organizations"
+
"The shocking results of the investigation were promptly scotched and stashed in the National Archives."

(reputable organization, national archives)

"instead of the stupid crackpots you get your bullshit from."
+
"Columbia Law School professor"

"Columbia Law School professor,stupid crackpots)

stupid crackpots = national archives

"Go to a psychiatrist multi "

"if he's compentent he'll diagnose you as a classic paranoid schizophrenic."

Multi = paranoid schizophrenic.

Ohh look it all adds up
Old 18-08-07, 07:48 PM   #28
multi

Big Wheeling Grin Thanks for pointing that out..

Albed is so fucking brainwashed
he thinks people will believe his bullshit if he repeats it often enough.
I will have you know

My last psychiatric assessment clearly stated 'no visible signs of psychosis'

BBC documentaries usually have some truth to them when they have historical documents ..etc

I must have look and see if this
The Plot Against America show is available online

by the way paranoid schizophrenics love avoiding questions like :
"so are you saying it didn't happen then ?"

so Albed did it not really happen at all?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard

Last edited by multi : 18-08-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 18-08-07, 09:56 PM   #29
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
I must have look and see if this
The Plot Against America show is available online
Here's the link.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-07, 12:02 AM   #30
multi