P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 29-03-07, 11:45 AM   #1
Sinner
--------------------

Default Senate passes war deadline bill

So the Democrats have gotten their timeline for withdrawal out of Iraq. Congrats.

I want to look at some past quotes from Democrats about setting a timeline. - Just a few for now.

In May 2005, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said this: "As far as setting a timeline, as we learned in the Balkans, that`s not a wise decision, because it only empowers those who don`t want us there. It doesn`t work well to do that."

In June 2005, Senator Joe Biden said, "A deadline for pulling out will only encourage our enemies to wait us out."

Then in September of 2005, Hillary Clinton was emphatic: "I don`t believe it`s smart to set a date for withdrawal. I don`t think you should ever telegraph your intentions to the enemy so they can await you."

Wow, I could not agree more, thank you, and Yes setting a timeline only helps the enemy. So I have to ask – Who’s side is the Senate on? The only person who can save this from happening is the President. For the sake of the troops and the countries of America and Iraq he must veto what these weasels in the Senate are trying to do. As they said – it empowers the enemy.

If America leaves Iraq we will have another Darfur situation. The whiners in the other threads complaining about gas prices need to get a grip. Do you really believe that if the Democrats take office in 08 gas prices will drop? I can tell you this, if America leaves Iraq it only makes the region far more volatile and that will increase gas prices to new highs. Anyways that is a different subject.

Mr. President for the sake of your country, Veto this now.
Old 29-03-07, 03:03 PM   #2
pisser
Guv

NoSmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
The oppressed in the other threads complaining about gas prices need to get a grip. Do you really believe that if the Democrats take office in 08 gas prices will drop? I can tell you this, if America leaves Iraq it only makes the region far more volatile and that will increase gas prices to new highs.
WTF are you spewing? I bitch about gas prices, because bonehead bush and co. ain't doing enough fast enough for alternative fuels. Such as affordable electric cars.

We need action NOW...not in 20 or 30 years from now. Hybrids aren't the way to dependance from foreign oil, we need electrics within 1 to 2 years.

I mention nothing about the effect of getting out of this stupid war would have on gas prices...pull your head out of your ass....

Also,

Our enemies will always be around whether we leave iraq or not, we will never 'win' because there will always be terrorists, etc. that want to destroy america and the free world, so what the dems. have done is put the bonehead on notice that the majority of the american people want us out of iraq NOW.

And this ridiculous notion of the 'support the troops' mantra that they spew:

They are quick to rally around the 'troops' until they end up wounded or dead, then they are convieniently forgotten, typically pigheaded republicans.

Just like anti-abortionists: Don't kill the baby, but once the baby is born into poverty, where is their support then? There isn't after birth.

Just a bunch of hypocritical, self serving pricks, who only care about their image and winning the next election. I hope you don't kiss their asses to hard now, sinner.
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-07, 03:11 PM   #3
albed
flippin 'em off

Citizens Against Government Waste reports the $122 billion war spending bill has $21 billion in pork to buy the votes of reluctant congressional members. Funding the troop deployments apparently requires some $283 million for the Milk Income Loss Contract Program; $74 million for peanut storage costs; $60.4 million for salmon fisheries; $50 million for asbestos mitigation at the U.S. Capitol Plant; and $25 million for spinach growers, etc.

In the Senate version are $24 million for sugar beet producers; $20 million for reimbursements to Nevada for "insect damage"; $3.5 million for guided tours of the Capitol and $3 million for sugar cane.

No funds for "draining the swamp" yet.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-07, 04:08 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

yup, that war bill is full of pork - as is every other spending bill that goes thru Congress. but the basic premise is sound: put a leash on this Prez by putting a timeline on the war in Iraq.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-07, 04:42 PM   #5
albed
flippin 'em off

So it's all about controlling Bush and the war bill is just a tool. Typical liberal thinking - national interest be damned.
Old 29-03-07, 05:16 PM   #6
theknife

well, you're close - it's all about controlling a Prez who starts wars he can't finish. i'll give you half credit for that one.
Old 29-03-07, 06:04 PM   #7
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser View Post
We need action NOW...not in 20 or 30 years from now. Hybrids aren't the way to dependance from foreign oil, we need electrics within 1 to 2 years.
Done (without Bush's help).

Quote:
Just a bunch of hypocritical, self serving pricks, who only care about their image and winning the next election.
Your descriptions fits Democrats equally well. They passed this bill knowing in advance that it would be vetoed, it was a symbolic measure, just like the minimum wage bill that still hasn't made it to Bush's desk. They're posturing for their constituents in order to get reelected next year. If they were really concerned with the people's business they'd work together with the president to write a bill that he'd be willing to sign, but they're ultimate goal is, as always, to make a big fuss and accomplish nothing.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-07, 07:31 PM   #8
vernarial
The Fungus Among Us

If we don't set some sort of deadline the war in Iraq could really turn into another Vietnam and we could end up with another misguided war that lasts decades.
P2P Consortium
vernarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-07, 09:00 AM   #9
romanticguy50
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernarial View Post
If we don't set some sort of deadline the war in Iraq could really turn into another Vietnam and we could end up with another misguided war that lasts decades.
You got that one right- In my way of thinking it already has turned into another vieetman war. Bush screwed up and made on hell of a mess of everything

Also Post At ZeroPaid
P2P Consortium and Slyck
romanticguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-07, 09:49 AM   #10
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Done (without Bush's help).
Nice, but that is NOT affordable @ 92K per....
Old 30-03-07, 09:53 AM   #11
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post

Your descriptions fits Democrats equally well. They passed this bill knowing in advance that it would be vetoed, it was a symbolic measure, just like the minimum wage bill that still hasn't made it to Bush's desk. They're posturing for their constituents in order to get reelected next year. If they were really concerned with the people's business they'd work together with the president to write a bill that he'd be willing to sign, but they're ultimate goal is, as always, to make a big fuss and accomplish nothing.

You have a valid point about the dems, they are just as bad, however, Unless you haven't been paying attention lately, with Bush and co. it is their way or the highway, he has repeatedly shown that he is not willing to compromise on just about anything, just look at the mess in Iraq for proof of that.....
Old 30-03-07, 10:32 AM   #12
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Nice, but that is NOT affordable @ 92K per....
So what's your yearly gasoline bill? With all your whining I'd think it was thousands of dollars.

I suppose you want the government to buy you an electric car.

And then pay your electric bill.
Old 30-03-07, 03:06 PM   #13
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
...he has repeatedly shown that he is not willing to compromise on just about anything...
Until now he hasn't needed to, he's had a Republican controlled congress on his side for the previous six years. Things changed when the 110th Congress started meeting in January. I don't expect the Democrat majority to develop a solid working relationship with the president until the end of this year, so in 2008 maybe we'll see some compromising on both sides. But this year we've got a do-nothing government seeing over this nation, we'll just have to buck up and make the best of it.

We can expect a few key issues in congress to favor Bush when a handful of Democrats break with the party line. And it's not outside the realm of possibility that one or two Democrats in the Senate will defect to the other side of the aisle, and that will lead to an other disruptive power shift in Washington. Whatever happens, things are going to be disorganized and messy until both parties get their acts together, and that could take a while.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-07, 10:36 AM   #14
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Who’s side is the Senate on?
Uhm, let's take a wild stab at this one... how about the majority of the American people?

Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-07, 01:57 PM   #15
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed View Post
So what's your yearly gasoline bill? With all your griping I'd think it was thousands of dollars.

I suppose you want the government to buy you an electric car.

And then pay your electric bill.
My yearly gas bill is more than it should be.

No, the car just needs to be along the same pricing as gasoline cars now.

No, but you can pay my electric bill.
Old 03-04-07, 08:40 AM   #16
Sinner
--------------------

Barack Obama--

SIOUX CITY, Iowa –" If President Bush vetoes an Iraq war spending bill as promised, Congress quickly will provide the money without the withdrawal timeline the White House objects to because no lawmaker “wants to play chicken with our troops,” Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday. "

“My expectation is that we will continue to try to ratchet up the pressure on the president to change course,” the Democratic presidential candidate said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I don't think that we will see a majority of the Senate vote to cut off funding at this stage.”

Good to see the Democrats have not changed, they surrender faster then the French. Ok maybe not as fast as the French but they would give them a run.
Old 03-04-07, 09:01 AM   #17
albed
flippin 'em off

With General Petraeus' surge showing signs of success the democrats have started their own "surge" to ensure failure in Iraq.

I think Pelosi's heading to Syria right now to get assistance.
Old 03-04-07, 11:22 AM   #18
theknife

the memes people play...

the surge shows no signs of working, Pelosi's visit to Syria joins multiple Republicans already there, and the only person who can stop the troops from getting funding is Bush. oh, and his threats are bullshit too - the funding is in place thru July.

Quote:
If the President vetoes this bill he will have delayed funding for troops and kept in place his strategy for failure - Harry Reid, 4/3/07
Old 03-04-07, 07:32 PM   #19
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone View Post
Uhm, let's take a wild stab at this one... how about the majority of the American people?

Sigh.........

If only it was true.