P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 29-03-07, 06:33 AM   #1
RDixon

Default The Immaculate Hack

McCain Learns Perils of Bandwidth Theft
by MissLaura
Wed Mar 28, 2007 at 01:36:06 PM PDT

Hilarious:

Visitors to Sen. John McCain's MySpace page were likely surprised Tuesday by a statement that the Senator has reversed his position on gay marriage and "come out in full support of gay marriage ... particularly marriage between passionate females." Most won't be surprised that the statement was apparently posted as a prank.

The co-founder of an online news site, who said he designed the MySpace template used for McCain's page, claimed responsibility for changing the site. Mike Davidson, cofounder of Newsvine, said on his Web site that he commandeered the MySpace page because McCain's office used a design template of his without providing him credit. Davidson also said his imagery was used on the page and his server is used serve up McCain's MySpace images.

Because McCain was stealing bandwidth from Newsvine, Davidson was able to alter the MySpace page without doing a single thing illegal.

"So, the only thing necessary to effectively commandeer McCain's page with my own messaging was to simply replace my own sample image on my server with a newly created sample on my server," Davidson noted. "No server but my own was touched and no laws were broken. The immaculate hack."

The number of Republicans who've proven they just don't understand anything about how the internet works - from Ted "series of tubes" Stevens to concern trolls like Charlie Bass staffer Tad Furtado and McCain's own campaign staffer Jill Hazelbaker (back when she was working for Tom Kean's senate campaign) to this and the dozen other examples I'm sure will be mentioned in comments - is mind-boggling.

Posted yesterday at http://www.dailykos.com/
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote