P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 02-03-07, 08:10 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Thumbs up the bob woodruff report

on injured war vets and the va hospital system (by the abc anchor nearly killed last year on assignment in iraq). i missed it when broadcast earlier this week. i heard it was good. it's even better than that. abc has the entire show in short, commercial-free segments here. it's a powerfull and timely program.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 11:22 PM   #2
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

The Walter Reed situation is horrible, lots of "reorganization" (resignations, firings) going on over it. Hopefully, things will get straightened out.

It's really bad, and there is no excuse for it.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 04:47 AM   #3
RDixon

For the first time Bush says something I agree with.
Unacceptable.
And the new SecDef is backing it up with immediate action.
Heads are rolling and not just low level heads.
Any change this brings to the VA has to be for the better because it couldn't get any worse.
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 05:47 AM   #4
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
on injured war vets and the va hospital system (by the abc anchor nearly killed last year on assignment in iraq). i missed it when broadcast earlier this week. i heard it was good. it's even better than that. abc has the entire show in short, commercial-free segments here. it's a powerfull and timely program.

- js.
Looks like "The Bob Woodruff Glorification Show". After I heard his name a dozen times I clicked off.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:44 AM   #5
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

same shit, different policy failure:
Quote:
Earlier, the White House had announced that President Bush would appoint a bipartisan panel to examine the medical treatment provided to wounded service members...
we all know the drill by now:
1)Long-festering, mismanaged policy bomb blows up in the Administration's face
2)Bush appoints bi-partisan blue-ribbon commission to spread blame and appease critics
3)Commission studies problem for months and makes recommendations
4)Interest groups, political factions, and constituents adversely affected by recommendations work to torpedo same
5)Reform is quietly shelved after story fades from headlines
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 09:46 AM   #6
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed View Post
Looks like "The Bob Woodruff Glorification Show". After I heard his name a dozen times I clicked off.
up to you, but it's really worth watching. while his own personal story is compelling to me, if not downright amazing (only some "five people" with injuries similar to his have ever approached his level of recovery), the balance of the program is about the regular grunts who've had thier heads shredded, and the effect it's having on them and thier families as they try to regain some measure of who they once were, under a system that too often ignores them after these incredible surgeries.

- js.
Old 03-03-07, 12:33 PM   #7
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Quote:
we all know the drill by now:
1)Long-festering, mismanaged policy bomb blows up in the Administration's face
2)Bush appoints bi-partisan blue-ribbon commission to spread blame and appease critics
3)Commission studies problem for months and makes recommendations
4)Interest groups, political factions, and constituents adversely affected by recommendations work to torpedo same
5)Reform is quietly shelved after story fades from headlines
"Just a tad" hyperbolic, no?
As pointed out heads are rolling, and not trivial heads at that.

What has happened is disgraceful, I doubt that it's just going to be "swept under the rug" and go away. The American people are not likely to let that happen. Those soldiers deserve far better than what they are getting.

Of course, the test of time will tell.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 01:41 PM   #8
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix View Post
"Just a tad" hyperbolic, no?
As pointed out heads are rolling, and not trivial heads at that.

What has happened is disgraceful, I doubt that it's just going to be "swept under the rug"...
it won't be this time but it was swept under the rug once already by the republicans. tiny salon started writing about this back in 2003 and after getting tired of listening to vet groups squawking on this ongoing disgrace the republican controlled house broke down and tossed them a little "hearing" in february of 2005. we know the result. support the troops? not a chance. fuck rumsfeld, bush, cheney and those house "leaders." they can all go to hell. because of them the outpatient medical problem continued to get worse. the american people, the wounded soldiers and their families have the "liberal press" washington post, bob woodruff and the democrats to thank for whatever attention it's getting now, and the real hearings haven't even started.

- js.
Old 03-03-07, 03:28 PM   #9
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default crisis, loss, hope, repeat

pardon my cynicism. we have seen the 9/11 Commission, the Commission to Strengthen Social Security, the Iraq Study Group, the Intelligence Commission, the National Commission on Energy Policy, and the Tax Reform Commission.

a "bipartisan commission" has become a euphemism for the absence of leadership on a given issue.
Quote:
Authors of the report said today that they held little hope that their ideas would be adopted in whole by Congress or the Bush administration.
generic quote from one of the above - could be from any of them.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 07:31 PM   #10
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife

a "bipartisan commission" has become a euphemism for the absence of leadership on a given issue.
generic quote from one of the above - could be from any of them.
Damn right.

It seems that a bunch of U are only thinking in the past.

It's the zeros now and will soon be the teens
Old 03-03-07, 10:30 PM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicobie View Post

It's the zeros now and will soon be the teens
i like the "Ohs." what's everyone else calling them?

- js.