P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 21-02-06, 09:32 AM   #81
albed
flippin 'em off

Yet one more person who doesn't read Ramona's posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone
Letterman's Top Ten Excuses For Dick Cheney:

10. "Heart palpitation caused trigger finger to spasm."

9. "Wanted to get the Iraq mess off the front page."

8. "Not enough Jim Beam."

7. "Trying to stop the spread of bird flu."

6. "I love to shoot people."

5. "Guy was making cracks about my lesbian daughter."

4. "Thought the guy was trying to go gay cowboy on me."

3. "Excuse? I hit him didn't I?"

2. "Until Democrats approve Medicare reform, we have to make some tough choices for the elderly."

1. "Made a bet with Gretzky's wife."

albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-06, 04:44 AM   #82
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
Yet one more person who doesn't read Ramona's posts.
Well spotted man.I hadn't seen that.
So you CAN read.

Do you think it might be true then?
Old 23-02-06, 01:39 AM   #83
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Secret Service says Cheney was drunk when he shot lawyer

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artma...cle_8184.shtml

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 04:46 AM   #84
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
Secret Service says Cheney was drunk when he shot lawyer

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artma...cle_8184.shtml
What I don't get is.

" It's a sure bet that is a private doctor who treated the victim of Cheney's reckless and drunken actions can't talk to the public then any evidence that shows the Vice President drunk as a skunk will never see the light of day."

Is this not slander or libel I forget which is which
They print the Vice President was "drunk as a skunk"
But can not prove it.
Old 23-02-06, 09:32 AM   #85
JackSpratts

it's a bit different here in the states than in britain. in order that the press isn't unduly muzzled reporting on powerfull governmnt figures etc the famous have to prove the lie, instead of the other way around. in this case cheney would have to have witnesses testify he wasn't drinking and the jury would weigh who's more credible, the reporter or the vp. fat chance for cheney-he's already changed his story from "zero" drinking to some and lost whatever benefit of the doubt came with his reputation, such as it was. he's ruined now and rightly so. this was no highway mishap. he cleary lied about an entirely avoidable shooting that nearly killed a man. there will be no more excuses for him.

if it happened to kennedy there'd be calls to remove an "out-of-control madman" from office. if something like this again happens to cheney we'll hear the same.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-06, 10:35 AM   #86
albed
flippin 'em off

I'd think you neocommies would be happy having conservative capitalist pigs shooting one another.

You probably are; just faking outrage while reading your fake news articles to one another.
Old 23-02-06, 03:00 PM   #87
multi

have a cry you wipmering mut..
you and your lot are finished..washed up,dearranged bunch of losers
better face it..

but then living in denial is a way of life for you conservertive creeps..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 23-02-06, 05:22 PM   #88
albed
flippin 'em off

I've never denied that you're a twisted, burned-out pothead who goes looking though every disreputable website on the internet to find your nuggets of bullshit propaganda so you can crow out your proclamations of hatred for all the successful, well adjusted people enjoying life in the real world.

That's simply the way it is.
Old 23-02-06, 09:28 PM   #89
multi

if i was burned out as you say..i probably wouldnt have the attention span for reading a comic book let alone pages of text.
would someone so burned out even give a fuck about politics?
man, you wouldn't know a burned out pothead if you fell over one

but do admit at times i need some glasses

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 26-02-06, 01:27 AM   #90
son
Apprentice Napsterite

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
well then, let's stick with the current plan: send our troops into an unwinnable war based on a lie with no strategy, no exit plan, and no body armor, then just watch them get killed while claiming everything is going well.
sickening, isnt it?
son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 08:47 AM   #91
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default this explains a lot:

in high school civics class, we were taught there were three branches of US government: executive, judicial, & legislative. not so, says the Office of the Vice-President: Dick Cheney feels he is a fourth branch:
Quote:
The Vice Presidency is a unique office that is neither a part of the executive branch nor a part of the legislative branch, but is attached by the Constitution to thse latter.
this is the VP's office rationale for refusing federal requests for details as to the size and scope of his staff, for inclusion in a federal directory known as the Plum Book. Cheney is running his own operation:
Quote:
As the Bush administration has dramatically accelerated the classification of information as "top secret" or "confidential," one office is refusing to report on its annual activity in classifying documents: the office of Vice President Dick Cheney.

A standing executive order, strengthened by President Bush in 2003, requires all agencies and "any other entity within the executive branch" to provide an annual accounting of their classification of documents. More than 80 agencies have collectively reported to the National Archives that they made 15.6 million decisions in 2004 to classify information, nearly double the number in 2001, but Cheney insists he is exempt.

Explaining why the vice president has withheld even a tally of his office's secrecy when offices such as the National Security Council routinely report theirs, a spokeswoman said Cheney is "not under any duty" to provide it.
sort of an extra-Constitutional thing - the super double top-secret office of the Vice President. even other government agencies are routinely stonewalled by the VP's office:
Quote:
In an extraordinary internal challenge to the unruly Office of the Vice President (OVP), the Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO) has formally petitioned the Attorney General to direct the OVP to comply with a requirement that executive branch organizations disclose statistics on their classification and declassification activity to ISOO
perhaps the new Congress might want to look into the constitutional role of the VP's office - i know my high school civics teacher would appreciate the update.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 10:08 AM   #92
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
perhaps the new Congress might want to look into the constitutional role of the VP's office - i know my high school civics teacher would appreciate the update.
That would be a nice distraction from America's real problems, wouldn't it?

Yeah, Cheney has a weird interpretation of his job, but he's got a point. The vice president has one Constitutional duty, to cast the tie-breaking vote in the senate and that makes him a figurehead at best. That's no excuse for his secrecy though. The Justice Department ought to get a court order to allow a search of Cheney's office. A figurehead like him only needs to keep the president's secrets, not his own.

Edit: not to discount the weight of this problem, but I think you're fishing for controversy, knife. Why the Federation of National Scientists has any opinion whatsoever on the vice president's classification practices, I can only guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if their inquiries were politically motivated. You needn't create a tempest in a teapot. There's enough real controversy in D.C. to go around.

Last edited by Mazer : 11-02-07 at 10:32 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 11:24 AM   #93
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
That would be a nice distraction from America's real problems, wouldn't it?

Yeah, Cheney has a weird interpretation of his job, but he's got a point. The vice president has one Constitutional duty, to cast the tie-breaking vote in the senate and that makes him a figurehead at best. That's no excuse for his secrecy though. The Justice Department ought to get a court order to allow a search of Cheney's office. A figurehead like him only needs to keep the president's secrets, not his own.

Edit: not to discount the weight of this problem, but I think you're fishing for controversy, knife. Why the Federation of National Scientists has any opinion whatsoever on the vice president's classification practices, I can only guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if their inquiries were politically motivated. You needn't create a tempest in a teapot. There's enough real controversy in D.C. to go around.
the American Federation of Scientists is not the inquiring party - they only reported the inquiry on thier site. the investigating office is the Information Security Oversight Office. US News is reporting on it as well.

as far as relevance, Cheney's office has been instrumental in the creation of our current problems - the invasion of iraq in particular - but more generally in the overall erosion of the constitutional checks and balances vis a vis the assertion of executive power over the other branches of government. Cheney's the most powerful VP in history - and a champion of warrantless wiretapping, denial of habeas corpus, torture, secret courts, rendition, secret prisons, and of course, the disastrous invasion of Iraq and the manipulation of intelligence data therein. the above inquiry is symptomatic of the VP's fundamental abhorrence of transparency in government. democracy works best in the open, no?
Old 11-02-07, 05:28 PM   #94
theknife

Default The Shadow Presidency

The Libby trial is revealing fascinating details about Cheney's involvement in, well, just about everything:
Quote:
"What didn't he touch? It's almost like there was almost nothing too trivial for the vice president to handle," said New York University professor Paul Light, an expert in the bureaucracy of the executive branch.

"The details suggest Cheney was almost a deputy president with a shadow operation. He had his own source of advice. He had his own source of access. He was making his own decisions,"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/...cheney_s_world
Old 11-02-07, 07:16 PM   #95
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
the American Federation of Scientists is not the inquiring party - they only reported the inquiry on thier site. the investigating office is the Information Security Oversight Office. US News is reporting on it as well.
Mind if I nitpick? From your own link:
Quote:
Last May, the Federation of American Scientists urged ISOO to press for the Vice President's compliance.
I'm still wondering why this would concern a group whose stated purpose is "to promote humanitarian uses of science and technology." Are they afraid that Cheney's statistics dodging is an abuse of technology that violates human rights? As conspiracy theories go, this one is weak tea.

Like I was trying to say, Cheney will probably be impeached over far worse charges than snubbing the FAS and the ISOO.
Old 11-02-07, 08:40 PM   #96
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Mind if I nitpick? From your own link:

I'm still wondering why this would concern a group whose stated purpose is "to promote humanitarian uses of science and technology." Are they afraid that Cheney's statistics dodging is an abuse of technology that violates human rights? As conspiracy theories go, this one is weak tea.

Like I was trying to say, Cheney will probably be impeached over far worse charges than snubbing the FAS and the ISOO.
to pick some nit back , regardless of AFS motivation, the ISOO obviously thinks there's a case. from the US News article:
Quote:
An important legal ruling is pending over Vice President Cheney's refusal to disclose statistics on document classification and declassification activity. The Information Security Oversight Office, which is responsible for the policy and oversight of the government's security classification system, has asked Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to direct Cheney's office to disclose these statistics.

Cheney's office provided the information until 2002 but then stopped doing so, J. William Leonard, the director of ISOO, told U.S. News. At issue is whether the office of the vice president is an executive branch entity when it comes to supporting the activities of the president and the vice president. The reporting requirements for disclosing classification and declassification activity fall under a presidential executive order.

"Basically the definition says that any entity of the executive branch that comes into possession of classified information is covered by the reporting requirements," says Leonard. "I have my understanding of what the executive order requires, and I'm going to the attorney general to ascertain if my reading of the executive order is correct."
the money quote: "But the office of the vice president is resisting even that minimal level of accountability."
Old 12-02-07, 01:09 AM   #97
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Well alright, enjoy this harmless little game of charades while it lasts. I'm not defending Cheney's secrecy, mind you, I'm just saying that there are more important issues on the public mind than this little 'scandal.'