P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 20-04-06, 06:34 PM   #21
albed
flippin 'em off

Lol...excellent.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 05:26 PM   #22
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

slip-sliding away...Bush is the GOP's very own Jimmy Carter

Quote:
Sour news for GOP in poll
By David Jackson, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — Six months before Republicans try to hold on to control of Congress in the fall elections, a new poll shows President Bush has slid to the lowest approval rating of his presidency, and a majority of voters say they'll vote for Democrats in November.

A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken Friday through Sunday found Bush's approval rating at 34%, two points under his previous low. He also received the lowest ratings of his presidency on his handling of the economy, energy and foreign affairs. He tied his previous low on Iraq: 32%.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...lup-poll_x.htm
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 05:32 PM   #23
Hegemonic

According to the thread title it was 34% 2 months ago so now you're reporting that...it hasn't changed?

Edit: Your silence speaks volumes, moron.

Last edited by Hegemonic : 03-05-06 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 01:00 PM   #24
theknife

and here's yet another record low for the Prez, this one from the AP:

Quote:
Conservatives Drive Bush's Approval Down

Fri May 5, 10:54 AM ET
WASHINGTON - Angry conservatives are driving the approval ratings of President Bush and the GOP-led Congress to dismal new lows, according to an AP-Ipsos poll that underscores why Republicans fear an Election Day massacre.

Six months out, the intensity of opposition to Bush and Congress has risen sharply, along with the percentage of Americans who believe the nation is on the wrong track..

• Just 33 percent of the public approves of Bush's job performance, the lowest of his presidency. That compares with 36 percent approval in early April. Forty-five percent of self-described conservatives now disapprove of the president.

• Just one-fourth of the public approves of the job Congress is doing, a new low in AP-Ipsos polling and down 5 percentage points since last month. A whopping 65 percent of conservatives disapprove of Congress.

• A majority of Americans say they want Democrats rather than Republicans to control Congress (51 percent to 34 percent). That's the largest gap recorded by AP-Ipsos since Bush took office. Even 31 percent of conservatives want Republicans out of power.

• The souring of the nation's mood has accelerated the past three months, with the percentage of people describing the nation on the wrong track rising 12 points to a new high of 73 percent. Six of 10 conservatives say America is headed in the wrong direction.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060505/...licans_ap_poll
Old 05-05-06, 02:03 PM   #25
Hegemonic

I know I'm defintely not voting for Bush in 08, no way, not with poll numbers like these!
Old 12-05-06, 04:42 AM   #26
theknife

...and down into the '20s we go - pretty soon, our very own little Bush bots Hegebed will be the last two standing

Quote:
May 11, 2006, 9:12 pm
Bush Dips Into the 20s

President Bush’s job-approval rating has fallen to its lowest mark of his presidency, according to a new Harris Interactive poll. Of 1,003 U.S. adults surveyed in a telephone poll, 29% think Mr. Bush is doing an “excellent or pretty good” job as president, down from 35% in April and significantly lower than 43% in January. Approval ratings for Congress overall also sank, and now stand at 18%.

Roughly one-quarter of U.S. adults say “things in the country are going in the right direction,” while 69% say “things have pretty seriously gotten off on the wrong track.” This has been the trend since January, when 33% said the nation was heading in the right direction. Iraq remains a key concern for the general public, as 28% of Americans said they consider Iraq to be one of the top two most important issues the government should address, up from 23% in April. The immigration debate also prompted 16% of Americans to consider it a top issue, down from 19% last month, but still sharply higher from 4% in March.

The Harris poll comes two days after a downbeat assessement of Bush in a New York Times/CBS News poll. The Times, in analyzing the results, said “Americans have a bleaker view of the country’s direction than at any time in more than two decades.”
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2006/0...roval-ratings/
Old 12-05-06, 05:00 AM   #27
Hegemonic

Who cares really? It's not like he's trying to get re-elected. Do you think if they get low enough he'll quit?
Old 12-05-06, 06:45 AM   #28
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic
Who cares really? It's not like he's trying to get re-elected.
That's a rather nonchalant attitude, isn't it? Perhaps that's the mindset of the masses and one reason the corruption's allowed to go on.
RoBoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 08:12 AM   #29
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Maybe Bush should be campaigning. This low approval rating has every thing to do with the president's lack of communication to the public. As a result the media has an information monopoly. Basically all these polls tell us is that Americans believe what they're told on TV.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 09:00 AM   #30
Hegemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Maybe Bush should be campaigning. This low approval rating has every thing to do with the president's lack of communication to the public. As a result the media has an information monopoly. Basically all these polls tell us is that Americans believe what they're told on TV.
Bingo. And it's not that he's losing support with his base, we're just disappointed that he's not in any way fighting back against a press that is clearly adversarial and simply refuses to report things like the absoultely booming economy we're having and any good news from Iraq. If either are even reported on at all they're usually regulated to page 15 and get the "but" treatment (the economy is the best in 5 years, but....Iraq had their first free elections in 30 years, but...).
Old 12-05-06, 09:46 AM   #31
theknife

you guys are living in a dream world. it's about competence and the administration's lack thereof. period.
Old 12-05-06, 10:00 AM   #32
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
...the media has an information monopoly. Basically all these polls tell us is that Americans believe what they're told on TV.
yep. while a stand-up president has to take responsibility for his own image, plenty of the warped views this country has stem from fox broadcasting.

btw, a president whose low approval ratings continue to stay low, is news.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 11:05 AM   #33
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
you guys are living in a dream world. it's about competence and the administration's lack thereof. period.
And you people are living in a media world. If you didn't have a constant stream of biased liberal media influencing you and just had your own life in the real world to go by you'd know things are doing just fine.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 11:24 AM   #34
Hegemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
yep. while a stand-up president has to take responsibility for his own image, plenty of the warped views this country has stem from fox broadcasting.

btw, a president whose low approval ratings continue to stay low, is news.

- js.
God, can a discussion about news ever be had without some moron liberal raging about FAUX NEWS?

I can assure they have more liberal guests than other networks have conservative guests. You people are so used to seeing one side of the news that when someone actually presents a balanced view of the news you can't fathom seeing news with like that so you instantly deride it. It's sad, the little echo chamber you looney liberals have constructed around yourselves and you're fiercely trying to ensure it stays whole.
Old 12-05-06, 11:53 AM   #35
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I'm certain that, if you took a few minutes of your time, you could find dozens if not hundreds of positive current news stories about Iraq, the economy, and even the president. But since the media isn't actively bringing these stories to the public's attention it's no wonder that most people believe we're doing lousy as a country.

Every night, on every local evening news show, they start their reporting with a 20 minute block of bad news. Murders, rapes, car accidents, burglarys, house fires, and after the first five minutes I loose my taste for it and change the channel. By the time the local news has started reporting the stories they've been teasing all day, I've found something else worth watching. But I must be in the minority, because if everyone was turned off by the news like I am then ratings would drop and they'd change their reporting to suit. In other words, people love bad news, and the ratings are capturing that morbid obsession.

You'll notice that most polls are commissioned by news agencies. Polls of this magnitude aren't cheap, so if the news agencies only used poll results to fill 25 seconds of air time or 15 lines of print, they'd stop commissioning them. Remember, they're trying to sell advertising here, and anything that doesn't increase circulation or ratings gets the boot. Obviously, polls serve an other purpose. My guess is that polls tell news agencies how effective their reporting is, and that in turn tells them how much repeat business they can expect. This knowledge equips them to tell people what they want to hear, to say the words that will have the greatest emotional impact, and to get more of their aucience to come back for more.

You can probably see where I'm going with this. I'm suggesting that the news that gets on national TV or in nationally circulated newspapers is custom taylored to fit its audience, and if that means omiting or distorting vital facts then so be it. Usually the whole, objective Truth just isn't entertaining enough to keep the masses interested in current events. But when the ratings tell you that people love hearing bad news, and the polls tell you that people relate to bad news, then what do you think will happen?
Old 12-05-06, 12:04 PM   #36
JackSpratts

Quote:
God, can a discussion about news ever be had without some moron liberal raging about FAUX NEWS?

I can assure they have more liberal guests than other networks have conservative guests. You people are so used to seeing one side of the news that when someone actually presents a balanced view of the news you can't fathom seeing news with like that so you instantly deride it. It's sad, the little echo chamber you looney liberals have constructed around yourselves and you're fiercely trying to ensure it stays whole.
so that's balanced eh? i'm glad you're not weighing my lettuce. i'd be broke after the first bag.

but this isn't about me, or even you. it's about conservative america's disillusionment with a president and congress they voted for and believed in, but do so in ever decreasing numbers.

hardly a liberal echo chamber. certainly not small.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 01:37 PM   #37
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I wouldn't go so far as equating a general disillusionment with the government with a specific disillusionment with Repbulicans. It's not a monarchy or a dictatorship, there will be alternatives to the current majority up for vote in November. But people don't seem to like Deomcrats much either, and that's why I call it general disillusionment. See if you can point out one public figure that everyone, both liberal and conservative, can support, and good luck doing so. The problem isn't Republicans or Deomcrats, the problem is Republicans and Democrats. They won't work together, they simply refuse. It doesn't matter which side wins the majority this year, the result will be the same. The animosity among our elected officials is tangible and I think it's clear that neither side represents us anymore. So when you, JackSpratts, tout "conservative america's disillusionment with a president and congress they voted for and believed in," I wonder how you can be so pleased to report such news. The Deomcrats will certainly take as much advantage of this situation as they can, but I will damn them for celebrating these unhappy circumstances while I damn the Republicans for causing them, or in this instance, for allowing the media to create such a negative perception of them.
Old 14-05-06, 08:28 PM   #38
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Bush has lost an average of one percentage point in popularity each month since February 2005

Most worrisome for Bush, his latest approval figures are among the lowest measured for any president in the past 50 years

With congressional mid-term elections less than six months away, Republicans increasingly fear Bush's unpopularity could drag them down

Barring some huge changes or demonstrations of success, it's hard to imagine this president pulling a rabbit out of a hat

Unabated violence in Iraq is seen inside and outside the White House as Bush's biggest problem. On the home front, high gasoline prices and rising health care costs have stirred anxiety and pessimism among working Americans, overshadowing good news about the broad state of the economy

Another worry within the White House is that Bush, who has two-and-a-half years left in office, is heading rapidly toward "lame duck" status in which he will have limited leverage to influence the domestic debate in Congress, especially if Democrats win control of Congress in November

Quote:
The all-time low in presidency approval was Harry Truman's 22 percent in February 1952. Truman is now seen as one of the country's great presidents.
There's a good chance GWB will beat Truman, with 2 1/2 years to go and no quick way out of the Iraq snafu and potentially a war with Iran, he might even break the record low
Old 14-05-06, 09:09 PM   #39
Hegemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBoBoy

There's a good chance GWB will beat Truman, with 2 1/2 years to go and no quick way out of the Iraq snafu and potentially a war with Iran, he might even break the record low
If you think we are going to war with Iran you're not very smart.
Old 14-05-06, 09:47 PM   #40
RoBoBoy

Quote:
If you think we are going to war with Iran you're not very smart.
I don't recall stating I thought we would go to war with Iraq, I stated the potential's there for Cowboy George.

One thing's for sure, he has a mind of his own and doesn't pay much attention to his advisors, or public opinion.