P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 21-04-06, 07:55 AM   #1
RoBoBoy

Default GWB is the greatest

failure in US presidential history:
Quote:
The heart of Bush's domestic policy has turned out to be nothing more than a series of massively regressive tax cuts -- a return, with a vengeance, to the discredited Reagan-era supply-side faith that Bush's father once ridiculed as "voodoo economics." Bush crowed in triumph in February 2004, "We cut taxes, which basically meant people had more money in their pocket." The claim is bogus for the majority of Americans, as are claims that tax cuts have led to impressive new private investment and job growth. While wiping out the solid Clinton-era federal surplus and raising federal deficits to staggering record levels, Bush's tax policies have necessitated hikes in federal fees, state and local taxes, and co-payment charges to needy veterans and families who rely on Medicaid, along with cuts in loan programs to small businesses and college students, and in a wide range of state services. The lion's share of benefits from the tax cuts has gone to the very richest Americans

Real wages for middle-income Americans have been dropping since the end of 2003: Last year, on average, nominal wages grew by only 2.4 percent, a meager gain that was completely erased by an average inflation rate of 3.4 percent.

According to the Treasury Department, the forty-two presidents who held office between 1789 and 2000 borrowed a combined total of $1.01 trillion from foreign governments and financial institutions. But between 2001 and 2005 alone, the Bush White House borrowed $1.05 trillion, more than all of the previous presidencies combined. Having inherited the largest federal surplus in American history in 2001, he has turned it into the largest deficit ever -- with an even higher deficit, $423 billion
RoBoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 09:49 AM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...ad.php?t=19055
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 12:49 PM   #3
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Why just highlight the tax cuts when there are so many failures to his credit
Old 21-04-06, 02:09 PM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Peace

Oh, I didn't read the whole article, just the sinppet you highlighted. If I had more patience I'd probably give a deeper response, but it's Friday and I don't feel like arguing on this beautiful spring day. But try me again on Monday, I might have more to say.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 02:18 PM   #5
JackSpratts

The Great Revulsion
By PAUL KRUGMAN

"I have a vision — maybe just a hope — of a great revulsion: a moment in which the American people look at what is happening, realize how their good will and patriotism have been abused, and put a stop to this drive to destroy much of what is best in our country."

I wrote those words three years ago in the introduction to my column collection, "The Great Unraveling." It seemed a remote prospect at the time: Baghdad had just fallen to U.S. troops, and President Bush had a 70 percent approval rating.

Now the great revulsion has arrived. The latest Fox News poll puts Mr. Bush's approval at only 33 percent. According to the polling firm Survey USA, there are only four states in which significantly more people approve of Mr. Bush's performance than disapprove: Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Nebraska. If we define red states as states where the public supports Mr. Bush, Red America now has a smaller population than New York City.

More
Attached Files
File Type: html TGR.html (14.4 KB, 1227 views)
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 03:02 PM   #6
albed
flippin 'em off

I always wonder how certain peoples lives are so miserable that they can do nothing but bitch, moan and complain continuously about Bush.

Really, give me some details since I'm apparently pretty good at running my fairly happy life and could offer advice...or at least poke fun at what a stupid mess they've made or how they go obsessing over irrevelant things that don't affect them at all.

But I tend to think they're all just as warm, comfortable, safe and well fed as I am and have just adopted a behaviour pattern of constantly crying like cholicky babies.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 04:05 PM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
cholicky babies.
come on
you can do better than that !

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 05:19 PM   #8
albed
flippin 'em off

Well what are your analogies?

Mazer did a good job with GG's post explaining to Robobaby how the tax cut is more than fair but he still insists on more wailing.

I could explain the deficit as a percentage of GNP to show it isn't so bad but it'd be a waste of time. He doesn't want to discuss things or understand them, he just wants to bawl his stupid little head off like a lot of others.

So

cholicky babies

Old 21-04-06, 06:27 PM   #9
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

let's put the tax cuts into perspective: the Iraq war is being financed with borrowed money, which future generations of Americans will have to repay, with interest. meanwhile, the tax cuts, combined with growing entitlement costs are creating an upward spiral of deficits and debt. no one should be getting a tax cut while there is a war to pay for.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 07:45 PM   #10
albed
flippin 'em off

You can't go picking out items in the federal budget and saying one thing is financed by borrowing while another isn't. It's all from the same pool of money.

No one should be getting anything that's been forceably taken from its rightful owner, but that's how governments operate. So trying to keep politicians from stealing from future citizens while allowing them to steal from present ones is simply an exercise in warping ethics that ultimately serves no one.

Eventually the whole corrupt system will have to collapse since there aren't enough decent people in government or voters who'll resist the impulse to behave unethically when it serves their selfish interests so well.
Old 21-04-06, 07:54 PM   #11
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
no one should be getting a tax cut while there is a war to pay for.
This is worth repeating
Old 21-04-06, 07:59 PM   #12
multi
Thanks for being with arse

the underclasses must pay for war in taxes and blood
only the rich are allowed to profit from it ,this is the way it has always been.

"Lest we Forget"
Quote:
Eventually the whole corrupt system will have to collapse

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote