P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 25-10-04, 11:07 AM   #1
Repo

Exclamation The no choice candidate...

As I listened to the campaigns I started to notice a theme running through the Bush rhetoric. George W. Bush is the no choice candidate. At all his campaign stops Bush promotes a no choice agenda. On numerous topics his solution is one of no choice...

We all know Bush is against a woman's right to an abortion. He does not believe it is a woman's choice to have an abortion eliminating a growth before it becomes a life but believes it is a murder of an unborn life before it is born; for this reason he is against the choice of a woman to have an abortion. That is really what abortion is about, one group believes it removes a growth before life begins and the other group believes it is a life before any growth has begun. Which came first the chicken or the egg? If you can answer that, you can answer the abortion question...

Bush is also against choice on gay marriage. He wants a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriages. He doesn't believe people have the right to make a choice of marrying the same sex. Bush wants a federal law banning same-sex marriage rather than leaving the choice up to each individual state to determine what is right for their state...

Bush is against choice on prescription drugs. He is against people importing drugs from Canada preventing those requiring prescription drugs from having a choice to pay less than they would for the same drugs at home...

When it came to invading Iraq, Bush said there was no choice and went against the majority of the countries of the world. The U.S. government was given no choice on who would make money off of the war in Iraq; he handed out a no bid contract to Dick Cheney's old company Halliburton. He now has America stuck in Iraq with no choice but to remain...

George W. Bush is the antilibertarian candidate. He is against choice and free will. His support of the Patriot Act and less civil rights is based on the false premise that in the name of security the country has no choice but to allow government agencies more access to your personal information, such as what book you took out at your local library...

Bush is against Cuban Americans having the choice to travel and visit their family members in Cuba. He put travel restrictions on families visiting Cuba instead of giving them the choice to visit their family went they wish...

George W. Bush is the no choice candidate. More times than not George W. Bush has made the choice of giving fewer choices to Americans. Instead of showing his successes on the campaign trail, provided he had some, Bush uses a negative attack on Senator Kerry to make the point that no matter how bad he himself is, he is better than Senator Kerry at security and that if you want to be safe you have no choice but to vote for him....

In fairness to George W. Bush, 9-11 happened under his watch, there are more job losses than ever before, there proved to be no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, under his leadership the war has failed miserably and as casualties mount, it is getting worse every day. George W. Bush had no choice but to run a negative campaign because there has been absolutely nothing positive about his first term in office. He is the no choice candidate but fortunately for America, there is a choice Bush or Kerry. The pessimist will vote for Bush, the optimist will vote for Kerry. The pessimist believes things will get worse but is afraid of change, the optimist believes that things can get better and votes for change. George W. Bush is the no choice candidate; people have no choice but to vote for Kerry...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-04, 02:15 PM   #2
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo
The pessimist believes things will get worse but is afraid of change, the optimist believes that things can get better and votes for change
Then, you have a great majority that don't like how GW has governed and would like to vote him out of office but have the strong opinion that, you don't change horses in the middle of the race. That belief is is the real swing vote that will be the small majority that gets him re-elected, if he is.

It's been to his advantage that we're being killed in Iraq. I've often considered he went to Iraq as part of his plans for re-election. If not for the Iraq conflict GW would lose as badly as Carter lost to Reagan.
RoBoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-04, 07:18 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBoBoy
It's been to his advantage that we're being killed in Iraq. I've often considered he went to Iraq as part of his plans for re-election. If not for the Iraq conflict GW would lose as badly as Carter lost to Reagan.
funny, i see it as exactly the opposite.

imo, if it wasn't for Iraq, Bush would be be cruising. you could arguably give him passing grades on the economy and the war on terror in general....and that would probably be good enough for the majority of voters. except for Iraq.

when it comes to the war in Iraq, there's no excuses - it's a mess and he is entirely 100% responsible for it. can't blame the former administration, the democrats, the "liberal media" or anybody else...win or lose, Bush has personally saddled the country with an enourmous debt of lives and resources that we will be paying for long after he's gone.

i believe these particular chickens will come home to roost next Tuesday.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-04, 11:04 PM   #4
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

I have to agree with RoBoBoy on this one. If Bush and his administration had any cognizance at all of the time and difficulty Iraq was going to pose, and they can't be so stupid that they didn't, in spite of all the ignorant posturing about an 'easy war,' then it fit right into the post-911 keep 'em scared opportunism campaign. It's fucking nuts that this works so well on so many people in spite of the fact that the war with Iraq is the biggest Al-Queada recruitment ad anyone could have ever engineered, but there you have it.

You say there's no excuse for Iraq Mr. Knife, but IMO this is one of the best ones.

His over-the-top Wolves ad seems to be all one needs to confirm that at least someone in the campaign is thinking that banking on fear and catering to pessimism is their strongest suit.

Baaa-aaa-aaaa
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-04, 11:30 PM   #5
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo
Bush is the no choice candidate; people have no choice but to vote for Kerry...
So what you're really saying is that Kerry is the other white meat, and we still have no choice.

All this thread is really saying is that voters for Bush are fearful and pessimistic and I resent that accusation. I take my vote seriously and I came to my decision to vote for the President thoughtfully and unemotionally. Others may not have done so, but the same could be said of Kerry voters as well. I'm not insulted, don't get me wrong, I know you guys aren't attacking me. But to discount half of the nation's opinions as being irrational and ovine is indefensible. Everybody understands how important this election is, and don't forget it.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-04, 12:01 AM   #6
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
you could arguably give him passing grades on the economy

and the war on terror in general....and that would probably be good enough for

the majority of voters. except for Iraq.
Unfortunately and inspite of Iraq, there has been lots of business needing tending to at home. I believe the following quote says it all about what grades GW should get.

I picked this up at another board.
Quote:
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS PRESIDENT:
I am the first President in U.S. history to enter office with a criminal record. I invaded and occupied two countries at a continuing cost of over one billion dollars per week. I spent the U.S. surplus and effectively bankrupted the U.S. Treasury. I shattered the record for the largest annual deficit in U.S. history. I set an economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12-month period. I set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period. I set the all-time record for the biggest drop in the history of the U.S. stock market. In my first year in office, over 2 million Americans lost their jobs and that trend continues every month. I'm proud that the members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history. My "poorest millionaire," Condoleeza Rice, has a Chevron oil tanker named after her. I set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips by a U.S. President. I am the all-time U.S. and world record-holder for receiving the most corporate campaign donations. My largest lifetime campaign contributor, and one of my best friends, Kenneth Lay, presided over the largest corporate bankruptcy fraud in U.S. History: Enron. My political party used Enron private jets and corporate attorneys to ensure my success with the U.S. Supreme Court during my election decision.

I have protected my friends at Enron and Halliburton against investigation or prosecution. More time and money was spent investigating the Monica Lewinsky affair than has been spent investigating one of the biggest corporate rip-offs in history. I presided over the biggest energy crisis in U.S. history and refused to intervene when corruption involving the oil industry was revealed. I presided over the highest gasoline prices in U.S. history. I changed the U.S. policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts. I appointed more convicted criminals to administration than any President in U.S. history. I created the Ministry of Homeland Security, the largest bureaucracy in the history of the United States government. I've broken more international treaties than any President in U.S. history. I am the first President in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the Human Rights Commission. I withdrew the U.S. from the World Court of Law.

I refused to allow inspector's access to U.S. "prisoners of war" detainees, and have refused to abide by the Geneva Convention. I am the first President in history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 U.S. elections).I set the record for fewest numbers of press conferences of any President since the advent of television. I set the all-time record for most days on vacation in any one-year period. After taking off the entire month of August 2001, I presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history. I garnered the most sympathy ever for the U.S. after the World Trade Center attacks and less than a year later made the U.S. the most hated country in the world---the largest failure of diplomacy in world history. I have set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously protest me in public venues (15 million people), shattering the record for protests against any person in the history of mankind. I am the first President in U.S. history to order an unprovoked, preemptive attack and the military occupation of a sovereign nation. I did so against the will of the United Nations, the majority of U.S. citizens, and the world community. I have cut health care benefits for war veterans and support a cut in duty benefits for active duty troops and their families in wartime.

In my State of the Union Address, I lied about our reasons for attacking Iraq and then blamed the lies on our British friends. I am the first President in history to have a majority of Europeans (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and security. I am supporting development of a nuclear "Tactical Bunker Buster," a WMD. I have so far failed to fulfill my pledge to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice.
Old 26-10-04, 12:11 AM   #7
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
So what you're really saying is that Kerry is the other white meat, and we still have no choice.

All this thread is really saying is that voters for Bush are fearful and pessimistic and I resent that accusation. I take my vote seriously and I came to my decision to vote for the President thoughtfully and unemotionally. Others may not have done so, but the same could be said of Kerry voters as well. I'm not insulted, don't get me wrong, I know you guys aren't attacking me. But to discount half of the nation's opinions as being irrational and ovine is indefensible. Everybody understands how important this election is, and don't forget it.
If you and all the others that support GW are satisfied with his performance and the current state of affairs, which he's responsible for, good or bad then you should vote for him. However, you do have a choice between maintaining the status quo or making a change. Kerry wasn't my 1st choice to replace GW, nor was he my last but he's the one we're stuck with. He can't possibly, under any circumstances other than sabotage, do worse or cause more harm that GW has.

We do have a choice, a vote for the status quo or a vote for hope.
Old 26-10-04, 07:44 AM   #8
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBoBoy
We do have a choice, a vote for the status quo or a vote for hope.
Now you're quoting Kerry's anti-Bush campaign slogan 'More of the Same' as if it held water. There have been very few reasons to vote for Kerry that I've heard anyone suggest, mostly people are either voting for or against Bush, perhaps an unhappy decision for some to make. But I'm not a pessimist so I havn't voted against anybody.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-04, 01:35 PM   #9
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Now you're quoting Kerry's anti-Bush campaign slogan 'More of the Same' as if it held water. There have been very few reasons to vote for Kerry that I've heard anyone suggest, mostly people are either voting for or against Bush, perhaps an unhappy decision for some to make. But I'm not a pessimist so I havn't voted against anybody.
I agree, there may not be any better reason to vote Kerry, There are however, multitudes of reasons not to vote GW. If people vote Kerry as a vote against GW I can live with it. Whatever it takes to get GW out.

It appears you're voting GW and that's ok if it's what you believe but what has he done for you, your family and your peer group? How has he made the US better than it was when he took office. Are we safer today because of anything GW has done. Do we have more jobs? If you're a US citizen are you as proud of that status now as you were before GW?