P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

View Poll Results: do you support the idea of an arms global arms tax ?
yes 1 9.09%
maybe 1 9.09%
no 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-09-04, 01:34 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Peace global arms tax ?

French President Jacques Chirac is the latest leader to call for the imposition of an international tax to help fight poverty.

Speaking at the United Nations in New York, Chirac praised a report prepared by a French working group that proposed a global tax be levied on arms sales and some financial transactions.

The report contains "technically realistic and economically rational solutions," said Chirac, who joined forces with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to push the anti-poverty agenda.

They will attempt to push forward the plan with the goal of cutting in half the number of people in poverty by 2015, as United Nations leaders pledged in 2000.

A declaration signed by 110 countries urged governments to consider the report.
more..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-04, 05:33 AM   #2
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi

They will attempt to push forward the plan with the goal of cutting in half the number of people in poverty by 2015, as United Nations leaders pledged in 2000.
Seeing as how the population of impoverished nations/regions continue to skyrocket out of control with no end in sight. This will never happen Tread water at best.

And then there was Somalia that worked out rather well now didn't it.

Oil for food > Iraq < Billions of $$$$$$$$$ gone!!!! No food for the people either!

Yep the U.N. has my trust and confidence on this matter

It'll never happen
Old 22-09-04, 07:05 AM   #3
legion
I took both pills.

Oh what a surprise that America is against this one.

By now they are the largest arms dealer in the world and since they have great trouble to pay their fees to the U.N. in the first place, I don't think that some additional cash will make the flow of that money any easier

Yet they claim a seat on the permanent counsel

@aweshucks Thank gawd the U.S. government is doing sooooo much better in Iraq right now
Old 22-09-04, 09:16 AM   #4
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Chirac was reluctant to back a levy on weapons manufacturers in France and elsewhere, but suggested a global tax on firearms purchases made by individuals
hmmmmmm...strict private gun control laws in Europe.....not much tax money going to come from there......i wonder what country this "global tax" is really aimed at?

i wonder if France would rally behind a proposed global tax on individual wine consumption, or how Brazil would react to a tax on coffee drinkers. let's tax legalized prostitution in The Netherlands as well TB, "Get a Blowjob-Feed a Hungry Kid" sounds like a winning slogan.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-04, 11:33 AM   #5
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydirt
hmmmmmm...strict private gun control laws in Europe.....not much tax money going to come from there......i wonder what country this "global tax" is really aimed at?

i wonder if France would rally behind a proposed global tax on individual wine consumption, or how Brazil would react to a tax on coffee drinkers. let's tax legalized prostitution in The Netherlands as well TB, "Get a Blowjob-Feed a Hungry Kid" sounds like a winning slogan.
You're on!

a little difference in gun size though

and think about it no more bitching from girlfriend either
Old 22-09-04, 11:35 AM   #6
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy boy

@aweshucks Thank gawd the U.S. government is doing sooooo much better in Iraq right now
Thank gawd the truth is out on how useless and corrupt the U.N. and it members really are. "I don't exclude the U.S. either" However the U.N. is failing because it has become too large, vetos mean too much, and it has become personal.

Actually the main reason I'm against this is....... "at Chirac's suggestion – a tax on gun purchases by individuals. " We have been fighting gun legislation for years here in the U.S. Yes I'm a gun "firearm" owner and avid sportsman and proud of it.

P.S. It's been in my sig for a long time
Old 22-09-04, 12:39 PM   #7
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweShucks
Thank gawd the truth is out on how useless and corrupt the U.N. and it members really are. "I don't exclude the U.S. either" However the U.N. is failing because it has become too large, vetos mean too much, and it has become personal.

So true....just have to look to Sudan for proof, there has been 50,000 non-Arab people killed so far and 1.5 million refugees. The Sudan government has made deals with China and Russia to veto any UN sanction proposal. China runs most of the Sudanese oil operations and Russia sells Sudan over a billion dollars worth of weapons.
Old 22-09-04, 12:58 PM   #8
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:

P.S. It's been in my sig for a long time

Quote I like, going way back----

"Rome remained free for four hundred years and Sparta eight hundred, although their citizens were armed all that time; but many other states that have been disarmed have lost their liberties in less than forty years."
- Niccolo Machiavelli, 16th Century Italian Political Theorist

and

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahtma Gandhi, Indian Political Leader

Anyways...I voted "no"
Old 22-09-04, 01:18 PM   #9
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
Actually the main reason I'm against this is....... "at Chirac's suggestion – a tax on gun purchases by individuals. " We have been fighting gun legislation for years here in the U.S. Yes I'm a gun "firearm" owner and avid sportsman and proud of it.

Uhm do i understand you correctly when i say the fact that chirac suggested it makes you against it and not the tax itself?
Old 22-09-04, 01:38 PM   #10
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy boy
Uhm do i understand you correctly when i say the fact that chirac suggested it makes you against it and not the tax itself?
You would be correct to say that I'm against any legislation/tax on firearms "guns" regardless of the person or political figure. Chirac means nothing to me he just happened to have the quote in the above article. Many U.S. politicians have already "mentioned" the same issue on a Federal level here in the U.S.
Old 22-09-04, 01:41 PM   #11
JackSpratts

fed tax on cigs, booze, telephone calls...what makes guns so special?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-04, 01:54 PM   #12
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
fed tax on cigs, booze, telephone calls...what makes guns so special?

- js.

Seeing as how you ask.

I don't drink "anymore"

I quit smoking

I hate phones

I don't like taxes period

The 2nd Amendment the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why defend filesharing of copyrighted material? It is illegal afterall Probably because it's what I believe in JS.
Old 22-09-04, 06:08 PM   #13
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Worth repeating:
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

United States Constitution, Second Amendment

This is one of the many reasons why:

"For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient. The world will follow our lead."

Adolph Hitler - 1935

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-04, 06:51 PM   #14
Nicobie

Default Why not?

Terry (shove it) Heinz Kerry can run it.
Old 22-09-04, 07:05 PM   #15
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

juicy thread - i could fight with just about everybody here

a global tax on the arms industry, administered by the UN, to be spent fighting poverty? the Right will go beserk

but that idea will never fly here anyway, and no good reason it should. there's about six different reasons why it's a bad idea, and none of them have anything to do with gun control or Chirac.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-04, 10:06 PM   #16
JackSpratts

Quote:
Seeing as how you ask.

I don't drink "anymore"

I quit smoking

I hate phones

I don't like taxes period

The 2nd Amendment the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Why defend filesharing of copyrighted material? It is illegal afterall Probably because it's what I believe in JS.

i'm glad to hear you've jetisoned a few bad habits.

1st:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2nd:A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

the first amendment is actually and demonstrably clearer about its protections than the 2nd (like nearly every gun enthusiast i speak to you left out the controversial part). the first amendment unambiguously states "Make No Law" - yet taxes are still collected on magazines, newspapers, music, telephone calls, answering machines and the like. my question wasn't rhetorical aweshucks. if the government, which needs money for lots of items like defense for instance, can collect it on one thing that's guaranteed by the constitution, like speech, then besides a rabid lobby, why would gun lovers think they're somehow immune?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-04, 06:25 AM   #17
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
i'm glad to hear you've jetisoned a few bad habits.

1st:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2nd:A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

the first amendment is actually and demonstrably clearer about its protections than the 2nd (like nearly every gun enthusiast i speak to you left out the controversial part). the first amendment unambiguously states "Make No Law" - yet taxes are still collected on magazines, newspapers, music, telephone calls, answering machines and the like. my question wasn't rhetorical aweshucks. if the government, which needs money for lots of items like defense for instance, can collect it on one thing that's guaranteed by the constitution, like speech, then besides a rabid lobby, why would gun lovers think they're somehow immune?

- js.
Immune from this bogus plan "of Chirac's" I would say yeah its bound to fail before it gets off the drawing board. The plans goals are out of reach for starters then the support needed will never happen.
Interesting link = http://rlcole.tripod.com/unat.html

Without debating the entire Constitution

Immune from taxes and the like here on a federal level...... no and far from it. Many times in recent years has the 2nd Amendment come under attack by more serious threats than just taxes. Example: The Brady Bill and the Assault weapon Ban "now expired " Both bills are essentially worthless and do/did nothing to stop crime and only affect law abiding citizens and are cosmetic in nature.
Would we "gun lovers" like to be immune sure However as the old saying goes "give them an inch and they will take a foot" We have to draw the line somewhere so let's start with nothing

Some Quotes: >

"Crimianls love gun control" - Unknown

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense." - John Adams

"...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them." - Thomas Paine

"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." - Adolf Hitler

"Gun Lovers" and the 2nd Amendments "current" #1 opponent

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out-right ban, picking up every one of them... 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,' I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." Senator Dianne Feinstein CBS-TV's "60 Minutes", February 5, 1995

God ,Guns & the U.S.A

3 Things this Country Boy Believes in!!

3 Things this Country Boy Will Fight For!

3 Things this Country Boy Will Die For!

"From my cold dead hands"

- A Gun Lover