P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 05-07-04, 05:15 AM   #1
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Say Wha? It’s just a gravy train

what a way to run a railroad...

Quote:
Marie deYoung, a former Army chaplain who worked for Halliburton, was so upset by attacks on the company she e-mailed the CEO in December with a strategy on how to fight the "political slurs." But today, after five months inside Halliburton's operation in Kuwait, deYoung has radically changed her opinion. "It’s just a gravy train," she said.

DeYoung audited accounts for Halliburton’s subsidiary KBR. She claims there was no effort to hold down costs because all costs were passed on directly to taxpayers. She repeatedly complained to superiors of waste and fraud. The company's response, according to deYoung was: "We can be as dumb and stupid as we want in the first year of a war, nobody’s going to care."

DeYoung produced documents detailing alleged waste even on routine services: $50,000 a month for soda, at $45 a case; $1 million a month to clean clothes — or $100 for each 15-pound bag of laundry.

"That money could have been used to take care of soldiers," she said.

DeYoung also claims people were paid to do nothing. Mike West says he was one of them. Paid $82,000 a year to be a labor foreman in Iraq, West claims he never had any laborers to supervise. "They said just log 12 hours a day and walk around and look busy," he said. "OK, so we did."

Both deYoung and West have since left the company. Pentagon documents obtained by NBC News support the whistleblowers' charges. In December auditors complained of Halliburton's "serious deficiencies," including "lack of cost control and cost consciousness." Some examples:

* Purchase of hundreds of high-end SUVs and pickups, loaded with options like CD players, which "most KBR employe
es do not need."
* "Duplication ... and gold-plating" in purchases of computers and high-tech equipment.
* Halliburton employees living in 5-star hotels.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5333896/

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 07:51 AM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

Everyone makes their own unique contribution to the war effort. Some risk their lives in battle, while others enrich themselves by profiteering.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 09:14 AM   #3
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by napho
Everyone makes their own unique contribution to the war effort. Some risk their lives in battle, while others enrich themselves by profiteering.
well the haliburton profiteers don't just have a direct line to the bush administration - they are the bush administration! instead of paying off whitehouse officials to green light projects benefiting them they can just keep all that extra boodle themselves. think of all the money fatcat stockholders are saving in republican bribes.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-04, 10:41 AM   #4
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by napho
And when their profiteering ends they go to the media and complain how terrible it all is now that they've lost their gravy train ticket.

I've had plenty of days at work when there was nothing to do and I was told to look busy.

Wasteful spending by the US government? I'm shocked!

Last edited by albed : 05-07-04 at 05:59 PM.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 01:27 AM   #5
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
I've had plenty of days at work when there was nothing to do and I was told to look busy.
So have I.

I guess what really pisses me off is that I wasn't paid $82,000 to do it.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-04, 12:24 PM   #6
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Thumbs up Coalition of the Billing

Quote:
contractors make up the second-largest armed force there, after the US military. Although this "army" is mostly on the Pentagon's payroll for now, it doesn't fly any flag or belong to any state. It's a multiethnic, for-profit, postnational force, and its sole agenda is to mind the bottom line. It has no incentive to stand down as long as there's money to be made. It's not afraid of terrorists, and whatever passes for an Iraqi government in the future will likely live at its mercy

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.07/view.html?pg=4

If wars for oil are bad and terror is worse, this Coalition of the Billing is a logical blend: global free-marketing at gunpoint. It's above the law, beyond the law, and worst of all, irreplaceable and utterly necessary to power the planet's nations, cities, and homes. We've suffered terror without a country. Welcome to war without flags.

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote