P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 18-04-06, 09:06 AM   #1
pisser
Guv

Angry Gas Prices

Where's the fukin' outrage?

Us Americans are just a bunch of wimps, especially republicans.

$3.37 a gal here in So. Cal for premium.

Time to start riding the bike to work, I guess.
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-06, 09:47 AM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

It's all good, pisser. You know why they call it fair market value? Because it's the price that people are willing to pay. Don't blame politics, blame your fellow Californians for having such deep pockets that they don't mind being gouged.

I think I paid $2.43 per gallon for my last tank of gas a couple weeks ago. Denver residents are such tight wads that they won't pay much more than $2.60 per gallon for gas, but maybe we're just a bunch of spoiled brats.

You know, people used to work where they lived, they didn't have to commute for two hours every day. In fact that's why cities exist in the first place, so people don't have to travel half their waking life to do business. But now the only people who actually live in the cities are too poor to do business with, and every one else lives in the suburbs. If you're looking for the cause of high gas prices, that's it right there.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-06, 11:18 AM   #3
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
It's all good, pisser. You know why they call it fair market value? Because it's the price that people are willing to pay. Don't blame politics, blame your fellow Californians for having such deep pockets that they don't mind being gouged.

I think I paid $2.43 per gallon for my last tank of gas a couple weeks ago. Denver residents are such tight wads that they won't pay much more than $2.60 per gallon for gas, but maybe we're just a bunch of spoiled brats.

You know, people used to work where they lived, they didn't have to commute for two hours every day. In fact that's why cities exist in the first place, so people don't have to travel half their waking life to do business. But now the only people who actually live in the cities are too poor to do business with, and every one else lives in the suburbs. If you're looking for the cause of high gas prices, that's it right there.
The 'cause' is greedy motherfuckers who can get away with it, because of republican puppets who won't fuck with big business and the piss ass democrats and environmentalists who won't allow new refiniries to be built. Out here, nobody lives where they work, everybody commutes.

It's just a big conspiracy by the rich to fuck over the middle class and poor.
Same old shit.
Old 18-04-06, 11:20 AM   #4
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Denver residents are such tight wads that they won't pay much more than $2.60 per gallon for gas, but maybe we're just a bunch of spoiled brats..
You'll pay when the prices keep going up, or you'll walk.
Old 18-04-06, 11:54 AM   #5
Sinner
--------------------

Yeah - it really must suck living in a country which has some of the lowest gas prices in the world. Drives me crazy when I hear the US News channels complain their gas prices are so high. I will trade you prices any day of the week.
Old 18-04-06, 12:35 PM   #6
JackSpratts

last time there was a free market in oil the stuff was a nickle a barrel. i think the cartels have more to do with high prices than anything else.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-06, 02:54 PM   #7
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser
You'll pay when the prices keep going up, or you'll walk.
I used to walk to work, and if prices get too high I can always get that job back.

America isn't wimpy, it's jaded. And don't assume that just 'cause you're paying more that someone else is richer for it.
Old 18-04-06, 03:59 PM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
And don't assume that just 'cause you're paying more that someone else is richer for it.
of course someone is richer for it - where do you think the additional money goes?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-06, 04:23 PM   #9
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Where's the fukin' outrage?

Us Americans are just a bunch of wimps, especially republicans.

$3.37 a gal here in So. Cal for premium.

Time to start riding the bike to work, I guess.

Why don't you just bump an old thread instead of starting a new one every fucking time?
http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...ad.php?t=20446
http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...ad.php?t=21854

There's only so much gasoline and people are bidding the price up competing for it. If the price didn't go up then the supply would run out and then you'd really bawl. When are you going to get used to it?

I think you problem begins here:http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...5&postcount=12
Quote:
Give me a VIABLE option to gasoline powered vehicles. You can't, because at this time, none exists....
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-06, 10:10 PM   #10
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
of course someone is richer for it - where do you think the additional money goes?
It goes to suppliment the revenue losses resulting from reduced sales caused by high gas prices. In the end the equation is balanced: fewer people are paying more money for the same amount of gas and the oil companies' profits change not at all. Of course this does improve their solvency so invester confidence rises, followed by their stock prices. Yeah they're getting richer, but they ain't doing it off of us consumers, they're doing it on Wall Street.

Last edited by Mazer : 18-04-06 at 10:31 PM.
Old 19-04-06, 03:27 AM   #11
albed
flippin 'em off

What a load of bullshit Mazer.
Old 19-04-06, 04:37 AM   #12
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
It goes to suppliment the revenue losses resulting from reduced sales caused by high gas prices. In the end the equation is balanced: fewer people are paying more money for the same amount of gas and the oil companies' profits change not at all. Of course this does improve their solvency so invester confidence rises, followed by their stock prices. Yeah they're getting richer, but they ain't doing it off of us consumers, they're doing it on Wall Street.
actually, the oil companies are reporting reporting record profits, this year and last. oil being the essentially commodiity that it is, the option to reduce consumption is quite limited. notice any less traffic on the road when prices go up? me neither...
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 08:25 AM   #13
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed

Why don't you just bump an old thread instead of starting a new one every fucking time?
Why don't you just fuck off and die, bitch? Do me a favor and put me on your ignore list.
Old 19-04-06, 08:43 AM   #14
pisser
Guv

Quote:
I used to walk to work, and if prices get too high I can always get that job back.

America isn't wimpy, it's jaded. And don't assume that just 'cause you're paying more that someone else is richer for it.
I bet the CEO of Chevron is richer, and laughing his ass off with glee at the recored profits they are making.
Old 19-04-06, 10:43 AM   #15
albed
flippin 'em off

Why don't you change your username to "whiner"?

The CEO of Chevron is just laughing at the whining crybaby bawling his head off everytime gasoline prices go up. The stockholders are enjoying the bulk of the profits.
Old 19-04-06, 11:21 AM   #16
RoBoBoy

Quote:
U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) today said that Americans deserve better than energy companies that gouge consumers at the pump in order to pay their top executives millions of dollars in salaries and bonuses.

Durbin demanded that top oil executives, who are scheduled to testify before the Senate tomorrow, explain to the American people why energy industry CEO compensation has increased by 215% since 2002. During that same period, oil company profits soared, while a price for a gallon of gasoline increased $2, or 174% climb, and the residential cost of a thousand cubic foot of natural gas increased about $4, about a 50% climb. (American Progress Action Fund Report, Pain at the Pump: Profits in the Boardroom)
OIL COMPANY EXECUTIVES FILL UP THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS; AMERICANS RUNNING ON EMPTY
RoBoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 02:00 PM   #17
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Screwy

Quote:
I argue here that US economy is not less vulnerable to an oil shock than 30 years ago. I shall use a simple example, with only approximate statistics. The average american citizen is now twice wealthier than 30 years ago and uses about the same amount of gasoline for the private car, paying now only 3% of disposable income for gasoline instead of 6% in the (crude oil squeezed) year of 1980.
Now, let's suppose a world oil supply disruption occurs on the same magnitude as in 1980. It's not unreasonable to think that for continuing life as usual, the americans may be willing to pay up to 6% of the now enhanced income. And this may bring the price of crude oil much above 100$ per barrel.
Back to macroeconomics, this may bring an increase of 300 billion $ of US trade deficit , on top of the 700 billions $ already in place. All this in a stressed world economy.
Most probably, deep recession, possibly world recession shall impede this scenario from coming true. Market forces are great for gradual change. Political leadership is in need at discontinuities.

this was an interesting comment i read in an article awhile back
i was lucky to find it again..
our treasurer seems to think a 70's oil shock is on the cards*
not sure if he might be right about this

what happened to the US$ yesterday ?
the AU$ was like 70c US now its back to 75..that was the biggest fall i have noticed for quite awhile

*no ,he says its actually happening in a similar fashion to the 70's ?

Quote:
But Mr Costello said Australia was now experiencing an oil crisis similar to what occurred in the 1970s, when soaring oil prices pushed up prices across the economy.

Mr Costello said he was confident businesses would continue to keep a lid on prices, but if they did not, there would be wider repercussions for the country.

"We have to be absolutely vigilant that this oil shock does not set off a wave of inflation because if it did we would all be punished a second time," he said.

"Not just punished at the bowser but punished a second time with inflation and the commensurate monetary policy response."

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 03:41 PM   #18
pisser
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
Why don't you change your username to "whiner"?

The CEO of Chevron is just laughing at the whining crybaby bawling his head off everytime gasoline prices go up. The stockholders are enjoying the bulk of the profits.
I don't usually post shit like this, but here it is from Bill O'Reily:

You are being gouged by the American oil companies. Gas supplies, gas supplies are at an eight-year high. Gas prices have doubled since 2004. Even if you don't know anything about economics, this one's pretty obvious. "Talking Points" has been saying for more than a year, U.S. oil companies are exploiting uncertainty in the world by raising prices they don't have to raise. The companies are making record profits while American workers are getting hurt. Every time the commodities speculators bid up a barrel of oil, the price of a barrel of oil, every time they bid it up, you pay more at the pump. It has nothing to do with supply and demand. It's all about exploiting fears about Iran, terrorism, what might happen down the road. President Bush knows what's going on, but doesn't like to interfere with big business. He did, however, say this today.

BUSH: I'm concerned about higher gasoline prices. I'm concerned what it means to the working families and small businesses. And I'm also mindful that the government has the responsibility to make sure that we watch very carefully and to investigate possible price gouging and we'll do just that.

O'REILLY: As you know, there are Americans who believe that private companies have a right to do whatever they want, no matter what. But remember, the oil industry operates with the cooperation of the government. It's not a free market. Try to start your own oil company, see what happens. The announcement that ExxonMobil will pay its retired CEO Lee Raymond a $400 million package was really the kicker. That obscene payout will be passed along to us. ExxonMobil has insulted its customers once again. Does ExxonMobil remember the French revolution? There is a limit to what the public will accept even in a capitalistic society. When regular folks get hurt to pay some fat cat $400 million, the line has been crossed. So I am never, ever buying a drop of oil from ExxonMobil again. They have crossed that line. They are hurting the country. I know some of you disagree with me and I respect your opinion, but I stand by my analysis, we are being gouged. Oil company greed is hurting the nation.

So when you say I'm a whiner, you must really mean the vast majority of Americans also.

Look, you want to keep getting fucked in the ass by the government and oil companies, go right ahead, I'm sure it feels real good for ya, not for me though....Hey, it's NOT a free market, bitch.

Fukin Homo....
Old 19-04-06, 03:42 PM   #19
pisser
Guv

P.S. Albed bitch, seems like you do a hell of a lot more whining about just about everything and everybody that doesn't agree with your pinheaded point of view...prick
Old 19-04-06, 04:04 PM   #20
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
But Mr Costello said Australia was now experiencing an oil crisis similar to what occurred in the 1970s, when soaring oil prices pushed up prices across the economy.

Mr Costello said he was confident businesses would continue to keep a lid on prices, but if they did not, there would be wider repercussions for the country.

"We have to be absolutely vigilant that this oil shock does not set off a wave of inflation because if it did we would all be punished a second time," he said.

"Not just punished at the bowser but punished a second time with inflation and the commensurate monetary policy response."
Another load of political doublespeak; He's confident things will be OK but he's scared things will get bad.

In the U.S. there are still plenty of people wasting gasoline who need to be encouraged to change their ways.

I do believe there are fewer people driving past my house than in the past and I like it that way.

I'm certainly driving and riding less; $12.25 just to fill my motorcycle tank. I skipped my ritual springtime dayride this year and started spending more time on my mountain bike; 17 miles yesterday.

I've been waiting for the diesel pickup I ordered and hoping I get it before GM goes out of business. Then I'll get a second heating oil tank and be ready for any shortages of diesel fuel.

Intelligent people will learn how to cope, idiots will just bitch and moan.