P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 24-04-02, 05:51 AM   #1
JackSpratts

Default It's Official: Britpop A Flop In U.S.

April 24, 2002

LONDON (Reuters) - It's official -- Britpop is a flop in the United States, with not a single act on the U.S. industry barometer Billboard chart for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Pop pundits insist that the disappearance of UK acts from Billboard's top 100 singles chart is just a blip, but it follows a long decline in sales which critics say reflects the flood of manufactured bands on both sides of the Atlantic.

Long gone are the days when bands like the Beatles dominated the U.S. singles charts. In 1964 the Fab Four held the top five singles in the Billboard rankings, which are based 75 percent on airplay time and 25 percent on sales.

R&B act Craig David dropped out of the Billboard list on Tuesday, making it a Brit-free zone.

"I think it has become a lot more difficult for artists who aren't American to break into the market,'' Sarah Roberts of the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) said on Wednesday.

"One reason is 90 percent of the sales in the U.S. are by domestic artists. There is massive popularity of country and rap artists which the U.S. produces in abundance,'' she told Reuters.

Another industry expert, who declined to be named, said the style barrier between the countries was often hard to hurdle.

"A lot of British talent is seen as quirky. We're a little bit more eccentric,'' she said.

She named Robbie Williams, a superstar in Britain but a relative unknown in the United States, as a good example.

There are big names in the music industry who blame the slump in U.S. sales on the proliferation of manufactured bands on both sides of the Atlantic.

"American audiences never did buy into our brand of ultra-smooth manufactured pop but who can really blame them?'' wrote the Daily Telegraph's rock critic Neil McCormick.

"After all, why import rubbish from abroad when you have plenty of rubbish in your own backyard?''

Elton John is a leading critic of record companies he accuses of making a quick buck from young acts like Britney Spears and S Club 7, likening them to "packets of cereal.''

The BPI's Roberts said British acts wanting to break into the lucrative U.S. market had to spend time and money doing it, meaning sales in Britain and Europe tended to suffer.

A few bands have managed to succeed in both markets, the Beatles doing so only last year when they spent eight weeks in pole position in the album chart with greatest-hit collection ''1,'' making it the most successful album of the year.

In terms of singles, though, Britain will have to make do for now with adopted diva Kylie Minogue, whose "Can't Get You Out of My Head'' is at number 18 in the Billboard chart, having gone as high as seven. Minogue is Australian.
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/arts/...itain-pop.html

dommage....

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-02, 10:42 AM   #2
JackUzi
Power and Glory

British acts haven't been selling ANYTHING in the States for years. Radiohead are doing very well (both "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" getting to No. 1) but before that the last British act to get to the Billboard No. 1 was The Prodigy's "Fat of the land" in '97. I read the same "British music in trouble" article when Oasis and The Verve were selling less albums in America and Britsh rock music still wont sell any albums there cos its dull, dull, dull. Electronic stuff wont sell much either as electronic music gets very little airplay in the States...
JackUzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-02, 10:51 AM   #3
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Over analyzed fluke if you ask me, and exactly the kind of over analyzed fluke that has caused the pundits of the music industry to become neurotic idiots. Music is music, even among the mindless horde that generates the Billboard stats. (And come to think of it, since the stats are based 75% on airplay time, that mindless horde is four guys) Everyone influences everyone and no one cares where you are from.

"Americans want grungy people, stabbing themselves in the head on stage. They get a bright bunch like us, with deodorant on, they don't get it."

--Liam Gallagher

Though I imagine he must've said this 10 years ago (since it's been at least that long since any head-stabbers have been on the charts) with his trademark irritating limey sneer that makes the average American want to punch him in the face, it remains just as untrue today.

...And by the way, isn't Elton John the guy pictured on on the right?

...Or am I thinking of Wham?

OK, maybe I'm a little surly this morning. I need my tea. And maybe a crumpet.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 01:22 AM   #4
thinker
Ex-Singular

Now if all pop could be a flop it would be a microstep in the right direction.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 02:05 PM   #5
LV15
Absolute Bastard

I find not making it in america the biggest compliment a band can get. If I were in a band I'd really start to worry about the quality of my tunes if I were succesful in the land that consists of people who actually fucking made Bush big (and I mean the band Bush not the silly man president guy...although come to think of it I probably mean both).
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 02:24 PM   #6
assorted
WAH!

hehe; cute article.

the real anomaly so far is why america hasn't completely embraced electronic the way europe has for years now. i think america is slowly but surely coming around though. moby even became famous in HIS OWN country for the first time last year!
Old 25-04-02, 04:03 PM   #7
dead_frog
Oddball

Puke Re: It's Official: Britpop A Flop In U.S.

Quote:
"One reason is 90 percent of the sales in the U.S. are by domestic artists. There is massive popularity of country and rap artists which the U.S. produces in abundance,'' she told Reuters.
I'd say the anomaly is why america has embraced hordes of goofballs whose songs (and I use that term loosely) are always in the first person singular and never fail to mention how great and/or 'bad' they are.
But then again I guess that fits in with the whole style over substance mass marketing approach to music nowadays.
dead_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-02, 05:16 PM   #8
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
hehe; cute article.

the real anomaly so far is why america hasn't completely embraced electronic the way europe has for years now. i think america is slowly but surely coming around though. moby even became famous in HIS OWN country for the first time last year!
because dance music isn't about individuals, it isn't about poster children, it isn't about appearing on jay leno, it isn't about playing live....dance music doesn't create many celebraties

can't imagine too many pubescent teenage girls drooling over fatboy slim in thier bedroom (and if they do they need fucking help)

as i've told you before the only reason moby is famous in america is because....HE IS A FUCKING SELL OUT

most dance artists release one great tune and then change their names for their next single...very few acts survive past one album if that (chem bros, prodigy, etc are the obvious exceptions)

dance culture is not about celebrity, it's about making people dance...it's that simple...now how are you going to market that?

dance culture could be called electronic punk...everyone has the capability to make one great record and be huge in the dance world for 15 minutes...but usually thats all it is...15 minutes

the scenes change faster than any labels can sign bands so the only big names on the scene are a, the DJ's and b, the small labels who licensce the current big tunes from wherever and release them onto the market.

No big record company is ever going to be able to latch onto that....plus the fact the lack of vocals and frontmen/women make it difficult to promote...dance classics are born in clubs...nowhere else

I'm dreading the day that the big labels do attempt to harness dance culture...just look what they fucking did to hip hop...

the kylie tune is a great tune....but i've a horrible feeling that now it's made the top 10 in america we may see a slew of shite pseudo dance records fronted by whatever bitch has sucked enough radio cock that month

Madonna has already tried to get in on it , Cher tried, probably the only name i can think of who may of pulled it off was Bjork.....but who is next? Brittany? J-Lo? N-Sync? Blah

(and although madonna and cher both had huge hits with their 'dance' songs...you would never hear either played at a decent clubnight)
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-02, 03:55 PM   #9
Mekajinn
green

Quote:
Originally posted by LV15

because dance music isn't about individuals, it isn't about poster children, it isn't about appearing on jay leno, it isn't about playing live....dance music doesn't create many celebraties

can't imagine too many pubescent teenage girls drooling over fatboy slim in thier bedroom (and if they do they need fucking help)

as i've told you before the only reason moby is famous in america is because....HE IS A FUCKING SELL OUT

most dance artists release one great tune and then change their names for their next single...very few acts survive past one album if that (chem bros, prodigy, etc are the obvious exceptions)

dance culture is not about celebrity, it's about making people dance...it's that simple...now how are you going to market that?

dance culture could be called electronic punk...everyone has the capability to make one great record and be huge in the dance world for 15 minutes...but usually thats all it is...15 minutes

the scenes change faster than any labels can sign bands so the only big names on the scene are a, the DJ's and b, the small labels who licensce the current big tunes from wherever and release them onto the market.

No big record company is ever going to be able to latch onto that....plus the fact the lack of vocals and frontmen/women make it difficult to promote...dance classics are born in clubs...nowhere else

I'm dreading the day that the big labels do attempt to harness dance culture...just look what they fucking did to hip hop...

the kylie tune is a great tune....but i've a horrible feeling that now it's made the top 10 in america we may see a slew of shite pseudo dance records fronted by whatever bitch has sucked enough radio cock that month

Madonna has already tried to get in on it , Cher tried, probably the only name i can think of who may of pulled it off was Bjork.....but who is next? Brittany? J-Lo? N-Sync? Blah

(and although madonna and cher both had huge hits with their 'dance' songs...you would never hear either played at a decent clubnight)

nyahahhaha... britpop is fucking shit...

and I agree with LV's evaluation of dance music...

americans were always best at doing rock 'n' roll cuz they invented and embraced it first... unfortunately they will never be able to catch up with the UK and europe in the dance music stakes.

Incidentally how many of u americans have heard of Jeff Mills or Joey Beltram?

oh dear
Mekajinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-02, 07:21 PM   #10
naz
-

Fruity

in fairness to the yanks, they may not populate the dance/electronic scene, but they did have a major part to play in its conception... The whole disco sucks pigwank during the 80s was a damn shame ...
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-02, 07:31 PM   #11
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mekajinn
Incidentally how many of u americans have heard of Jeff Mills or Joey Beltram?

oh dear
Well, not till now, but if you pick up the album ‘True Spirit’ (Tresor) you not only get tracks by both, but also the likes of Maurizio, Blake Baxter, DJ Rush and Model 500.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-02, 05:04 AM   #12
Mekajinn
green

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Well, not till now, but if you pick up the album ‘True Spirit’ (Tresor) you not only get tracks by both, but also the likes of Maurizio, Blake Baxter, DJ Rush and Model 500.

tresor... top label

disco pigwank naz?
Mekajinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-02, 09:08 AM   #13
JackUzi
Power and Glory

Another reason why electronic music seems to stay stalled in the U.S. is because most rock fans in the U.S. see electronic music as 'faggy, disco shit', and most people whether they be frat boys or b-boys are gonna dance to hip-hop. In the U.K. rave and rock often intertwine-Primal Scream, Happy Mondays. American ravers dress like fucking idiots so that might alienate a lot of people too.
JackUzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-02, 02:26 AM   #14
kristof47
Grand Theft Music

I've heard of a DJ from Chicago called DJ Caffeine who plays some harder music, a lot of it seems belgian. His mix of DJ Youri - F*ck On Cocaine with a sample of face down, ass up, that's the way... is good.
Some of our commercial dance seems to slip into the states like Sylver. The did some performances in clubs.
Dance in europe is also divided. Britain is mostly trance. Holland too with also some harder music and the remains of hardcore (like Rotterdam Terror Corps). Over here trance isn't that big. Mostly the commercial dance groups, hardhouse and jump. Hardcore is almost dead except for DHT. Lately everyone rapes old 80's songs.

In commercial dance the performers do have faces, mainly the girl that sings (if you can call it singing), but those are the only ones. I've heard of a couple dutch guys that have used about 7 different project names in the last 2 years. They made about 2 or 3 tracks with each name. The name or performer just isn't important, the music is. Most of them are ugly anyway.