Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 02-08-02, 06:52 PM   #1
greedy_lars
everything you do

Default Tom Ze - The Hips Of Tradition - Brazil 5

Lets see...

Ummm, a friend turned me onto reggae a few years ago, and I've expanded into some world music on occasion, found some real scores like A World Out Of Time - The Music Of Madagascar with Henry Kaiser and David Lindley which is an amazing album, but not what I intended to tell ya about...

So anyway, I'm on loan to a differant part of Intel, and I'm now working in an environment where you can a. go to breakfast on the clock and b. listen to music while you work, both luxurys I dont get in my 'home' lab. And as a result of the testing I'm doing now, you have to play music as part of the testing, so it happens some, plus I took a chance and just started playing music all the time, down low mostly. And to my suprize, the older guy that works next to me, who sighs a lot, said "hey thats cool" when the first track of Malcom Mclaren - Duck Rock was playing, an amazing cd, but not what....

So I told ole Bob, "Hey you like that? Well how bout I will make ya an semi assorted disk of world music?"

"Sure!"

So last night Im making Bob's cd and i use;

a bunch of tracks off A World Out Of Time, of course

3 tracks off of Duck Rock

and 7 or 8 tracks from

drum roll

Tom Ze - The Hips Of Tradition - Brazil 5

and I think, what a kick ass cd this is. And what a score, back when I worked in a store that sold cds, and more importantly, got promos, and my buddy goes "hey dood you like world music dont you?". So it's been buzzsawed. Oh well.

I heard or read somewhere that Tom ZE worked with David Byrne, and while David is not on hips anywhere, you sure can hear 'Heads' like stuff in Ze's sound. And this classic Brazilian sound At the same time. It's an amazing cd, and best of all, to me its one of those magic cds that you never get tired of. Theres only a couple I can say that about, well more than a couple, but theres gobs and gobs more that are great yadda yadda, and I'll never listen to again, cause I got enough. But not Hips.

a couple of starters if you can find em

Tom Ze - O Pao Nosso de Cada Mes
Tom Ze - Fliperama (flip flip flip!)
Tom Ze - Lua Gira Sol
Tom Ze - Fiera de Santana
Tom Ze - Ogodo Ano 2000
Tom Ze - Cortina

And maybe if yer interested in Malcolm try

Malcolm McLaren - Obatala
Malcolm McLaren - Buffalo Gals (eminem ripped this off so bad, weak)
Malcolm McLaren - Soweto

way better than Simon's Graceland and a few years earlier.

If you still have not had enough world music at this point, you could get some tracks off A World Out Of Time like

Mahaleo - Dihy
Tsikitsky Voninavoko - Hitondray
Tarika Rakoto Frah - The Rokoto Frah Two-Step
Takira Sammy - Fanaon'ny Ankizy
Rakoto Frah - Mangina Mangina
D'Gary - Vavarano

Happy Hunting

Be Irie

Update 9/18

So I make this cd for ole Bob, and to the best of my knowledge he never plays it.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-02, 07:45 PM   #2
StereoDeluxe

Yes!!! Tom Ze!
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote