The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 04-01-02, 11:43 AM   #1
emmy
don't try this at home

Default Grammys = not bad...

U2, India.Arie, Boulez top Grammy noms
cnn.com

U2 has drawn eight Grammy nominations
including best record, album and song of the year.

BEVERLY HILLS, California (AP) -- Irish rockers U2 received a leading eight Grammy nominations Friday, including record, album and song of the year.

The veteran group's album "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was virtually assured multiple nominations since its first single, "Beautiful Day," won record and song of the year Grammys last year. The album was released during the 2001 qualifying period.

India.Arie earned seven nominations for her debut album "Acoustic Soul," including album, record and song of the year.

Other multiple nominees included classical conductor Pierre Boulez with six, and country singer Alison Krauss, R&B vocalist Brian McKnight and rap-rockers OutKast with five each.

T-Bone Burnett, Nelly Furtado, Train, Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Lucinda Williams each had four nominations.

Diversity reigned in the album of the year category, where nominees included Bob Dylan for "Love and Theft," India.Arie's rhythmic "Acoustic Soul," and the potent rap of OutKast's "Stankonia" in addition to U2's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and the bluegrass compilation soundtrack to the film "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Alicia Keys is one of the artists nominated
in the song of the year category.

Keys' "Fallin'," U2's "Walk On" and India.Arie's "Video" compete in the record of the year against OutKast's "Ms. Jackson" and Train's "Drops of Jupiter."

U2's "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of," India.Arie's "Video," Keys' "Fallin'," Train's "Drops of Jupiter" and Furtado's "I'm Like a Bird" face off in the song of the year field, which honors the writers.

Besides Keys and India.Arie, Furtado, singer David Gray and alternative rockers Linkin Park were nominated for best new artist.

Sequins ruffled last year
Last year, the usually mainstream-minded National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences rankled family values proponents and gay activists by handing Eminem four nominations.

Adding to the controversy was the rapper's performance at the awards show with gay superstar Elton John.

He lost to Steely Dan for album of the year, but took home three other awards. Steely Dan had never won a Grammy prior to last year's event, but ended up with three by the end of the night.

Awards show is February 27
Presenters for the 44th annual Grammy Awards nominations at the Beverly Hilton included Destiny's Child, singer Stevie Nicks, Furtado and OutKast.

The award ceremony is scheduled for February 27 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Um, interesting!
Dust...
emmy
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-02, 11:53 AM   #2
emmy
don't try this at home

I love this comment!

Quote:
Last year, the usually mainstream-minded National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences rankled family values proponents and gay activists by handing Eminem four nominations.

Adding to the controversy was the rapper's performance at the awards show with gay superstar Elton John.
His "gay superstar Elton John?" O'my lordie, way too funny!
Dust...
emmy
Old 04-01-02, 12:50 PM   #3
greedy_lars
everything you do

ya know, ive gotta say. never cared much for U2 pre Eno, sounded like another garage band to me. ahh, but Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Acthung Baby, Zooropa!!!!!!!!!, and even 50% of Pop, and truely great works. but that last piece of chit they put out, all the pathetic material we had previously left behind when we were concerned about quality was a dissapointment in the extreme. perhaps their toast. hope not, but if they are gonna put out more chit like that...
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-02, 01:38 PM   #4
emmy
don't try this at home

I'm w/ya greedy_lars!

I personally don't think all the hype concerning U2 is called for. I mean, it erks me greatly how everybody is worshiping Bono these days, like he's god or whatnot. Um, but then again, U2 sure beats all these annoying teenie boppers boy bands out there. O'anyhoot, I'm still laughing over "Gay Superstar Elton John."
Dust...
emmy
Old 04-01-02, 06:26 PM   #5
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

U2 should get kudos for longevity and consistency (20 years of reasonably good music, overall)...as well as social activism...but their presence (as well as anyone else's)at the Grammy's is simply a function of the industrial/entertainment complex's periodic attempts at self-glorification. Speaking for myself, and any serious music lover I have ever know (meaning anyone who doesn't automatically accept whatever the radio/MTV spews out),
the Grammy's are irrelevant...and they always have been.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote