P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-11-04, 09:35 PM   #1
chefws

Default DRM and a new computer

I got a new computer
I am wary of using any drm mp3 players. I think all of the preloaded players have drm, cuz they are all the latest releases. I have a copy of MusicMatch 7.1 that doesn't have the DRM software, although they tried to fool me into upgrading.
What can I do to keep my files my files? I am going to use the new comp as a media server, and need a cross-network player/server.
I was wondering if anyone has any input on how to do this effectively without having to use any Microsoft Product, or anything that would cause DRM problems.
I found these proggies, but haven't used them.
http://icecast.org/
http://www.sharegear.com/
btw, the new comp comes with tv card, dual layer dvd burner, 150 gig hdd, radio, all the extras

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 21-11-04, 10:04 AM   #2
zombywoof

I run winamp for mp3 and audio playback and ATI TV tuner software with the ATI Multimedia Center for TV playback and recording. I choose what file types to save as and associate them with the playback device I choose from. I stay away from musicmatch because it's an overblown piece of junk and use Audiograbber with the lame encoder to make mp3's. Audiograbber has been freeware since the early part of this year so there are no more restrictions on it. I watch mpegs, avi w/ WMP 10 but I don't use it other than a playback device.

From the settings, choose which type of files to associate with what players.

As for the portable player, I drag-and-drop as a removable disk using windows explorer. No software needed.

I'm not doing anything special, just not using unneeded bloated software with restrictions. Maybe someone does this an easier way but my rig runs as a full blown media center without any problems.

Last edited by zombywoof : 21-11-04 at 02:09 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-04, 09:27 PM   #3
chefws

Zomby,
Thanks for the reply.
I use Intervideo 6 for dvd files playback, WMP for avi, MusicMatch for mp3's, all with proper file associations. I will use Audigrabber for future rippings, thanks for the suggestion. I use DVDShrink for DVD's.
I guess I should have gone into more detail on what I'm trying to accomplish with what I'm doing.
First, I got too many computers.
I've got 3 WinXP desktops, and 1 Mac. I have 4 WinXp laptops, all wireless. The new computer I have only has a 150 gig hdd, which I have amost filled. I will get a 300 gig in the next few days.
I am trying to consolidate all the media on the new computer, and be able to access it either through the lan or wireless. I am trying to get away from having to go into the network to different computers to find a particular file, hence the 300 gig hdd + the 150 gig hdd.
My concern is if I put it all onto the new computer, will the digital rights management of the preloaded programs take control of my files?
If so, I don't want to remove the copies on the other comps that are protected from DRM.
As for the server aspect, I guess will have to create a separate network for media only, so only the media files will show, rather than all the shared files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof
I stay away from musicmatch because it's an overblown piece of junk
I would too, but I actually bought it before I knew any better, way back in the day. I keep it under control by not updating.

Thanks again for the repy
Old 22-11-04, 01:57 AM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

cant see any search results about digital rights management of preloaded programs taking control of peoples normal MP3 or movie files?

for DRM to work it has to be encoded into the file similar to a digital signiture
if it was doing the fuX0r on peoples collections
i am sure we would be hearing all about it..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote