P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-12-04, 09:45 AM   #1
rathga

Default do my survey!

Hey guys

As part of some research toward my degree I am conducting a survey of P2P users. The survey takes just a few minutes to complete, so if you have a bit of free time I would really value your response!

The survey is up at www.p2psurvey.com. I've tried to answer some common questions on the front page... if you want to know anything else feel free to mail me, or reply to this thread

You also get the chance to win some Amazon vouchers when you complete the survey!

Thanks!

-richard
rathga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 10:23 AM   #2
JackSpratts

fyi - you don't have to leave an email addy. opting out is possible but you forfeit your chance of getting spammed. i mean winning the fifty pound prize.

rathga, just a point: i don't play commercial video games but i get a kick out of the little flash games people make and which are by definition "computer games." i share a bunch of them and answered in the positive to that poll question. my guess tho is you mean commercial, copyrighted computer games, and further i imagine the same when it comes to music, film and programs. as it happens there is an awful lot of noncommercial media floating around the peers (you might want to look at the zer0share project thread for some background), and i share a lot of it. so do many others. a future poll might differentiate between "freeware" and the stuff the copyright cops are falling to pieces over, if that is indeed the thrust of your queries.

welcome to the underground.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 01:24 PM   #3
rathga

Yeah, I'd love to offer people who don't submit an email address a chance to win... i just can't figure out how i'd contact them

I'll check out the thread... I know 'computer games' is a bit ambiguous but reckoned that the overwhelming majority would be commercial. Thanks for mentioning this... i'll change the wording on the site!

-richard
rathga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 05:16 PM   #4
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I wish to echo JackSpratts point on legitimate uses of P2P: Not all file sharers are illegally sharing copyrighted works. P2P clients are routinely used every day to share public domain information, including distribution of "freeware" software, like "The Open CD".

Of course, P2P also finds legitimate use in business and similar private network groups for a variety of information sharing applications.

The causations of file sharing are also worth investigation, which will most likely end up pointing to the (music, motion picture) industry clinging for dear life to an outdated business model that does not work well in today's digital age.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote